• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    any station with a sticker on the pump that says "this gas may contain up to 15% ethanol" gets a pass.
    I think the law changed this last year, and stations are no longer required to have that sticker, or tell how much ethanol they run. Really means they ALL get to run right at 15%, and we are none the wiser.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I was only buying Marathon, but lately I've been getting 2 - 3 mpg better using BP. I might switch.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Thornton's and they get fresh gas everyday. Never had a problem with them in 22 years. I will not drive across the street to save a nickel a gallon at any station. Do the math,if you have a car that needs 20gallons you only save a buck. If you drive a car with a 10 gallon tank you may only save a quarter.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I frequent, the same gas stations, Speedway, Swifty, Gas America, and go to the same locations, so I know what I am getting. I also, look for cheap prices, using gas buddy, etc...

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I use only Top Tier gasoline, when I have the option. This is a standard created by BMW, GM, Toyota, Audi, Honda, and Volkswagen. Around here, only Shell and Phillips 66 meet the standard.

Here's the companies whose fuel meets the standard for Top Tier:

76 Petro-Canada
    Aloha Petroleum Phillips 66
    Chevron QuikTrip
    Chevron Canada Rebel Oil
    Conoco Road Ranger
    CountryMark Severson Oil
    Entec Stations Shell
    Esso Shell Canada
    Exxon Sunoco Canada
    Kwik Trip / Kwik Star Texaco
    MFA Oil Co. The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
    Mileage Stations Tri-Par Oil Co.
    Mobil Turkey Hill Minit Markets
    U.S. Oil

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I think the law changed this last year, and stations are no longer required to have that sticker, or tell how much ethanol they run. Really means they ALL get to run right at 15%, and we are none the wiser.

Nearly all gas now has ethanol. Even the best brands. That's because nearly all of the gas, no matter the brand, comes from the same refinery for a given local area. The difference in the brands is in the additives added to the gas.

BlisterPac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Usually buy diesel from Murphy, but sometimes I get a little bonus H20 with my diesel. :)

On the road, I will usually buy diesel from truck stops (Flying J, Pilot, etc.), or BP. Check with guys that work at diesel engine plants, they may use BP (they were the first to supply us with ULSD back when it came out in 2007).

Incidently, here's a good link for the Indy metro guys (Indianapolis Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Indiana)

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I buy shell premium because last time I checked it was the only gas not blended with ethanol. I also never get gas if there is a gas truck filling the tanks because it stirs up all the sediment in the tank. And guys if you have a turbo on your engine use better gas, your engine will thank you. And the only two additives worth anything are the chevron and shell additives. If you want to learn more than you care to learn about this type of stuff go over to bobistheoilguy.com

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    I buy shell premium because last time I checked it was the only gas not blended with ethanol. I also never get gas if there is a gas truck filling the tanks because it stirs up all the sediment in the tank. And guys if you have a turbo on your engine use better gas, your engine will thank you. And the only two additives worth anything are the chevron and shell additives. If you want to learn more than you care to learn about this type of stuff go over to bobistheoilguy.com

Unless your vehicle specifically calls for it, you shouldn't run premium fuel. The higher the octane rating, the slower the fuel burns. If you run it in a vehicle that doesn't require it it will cause excessive carbon buildup.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Unless your vehicle specifically calls for it, you shouldn't run premium fuel. The higher the octane rating, the slower the fuel burns. If you run it in a vehicle that doesn't require it it will cause excessive carbon buildup.
    It will also shorten the life of your oxygen sensor.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    It depends on the car. Some vehicles I've owned were picky about fuel and some seemed to care less. Same with the bikes.

My current car seems to not care. My current bike is a bit more finicky.

Premium, blah, blah. Most folks don't understand what octane level really means and assume that a high octane is "treating their motor better" or gives them an instant horsepower boost. Premium (higher octane) is all about reducing detonation (exploding due to the rising pressure in the combustion chamber instead of controlled combustion at the correction time which is distinct from pre-ignition) in high compression engines only. In a mid to low compression motor, I submit that you're wasting money at best and, at worst, even reducing the performance of your car.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom