• ...and so much more!
  • JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    If a NON FFL person sells a gun on Gunbroker and sends it
    to an FFL dealer for a transfer, isnt this perfectly legal???

A friend has a gun at a local FFL who shall remain nameless for
    now, refused to do the transfer and may ship gun back to seller.

They state the gun must come from an FFL.

What say you INGO?

Jimmy

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I believe that both ends of the transaction either have to be private party or both ends need to be FFL. (Apparently this is not a requirement, just a common practice.) To my knowledge, the FFL [strike]cannot[/strike] many times will not receive shipment from a private party. I've seen this on INGO before, where the private seller sends the gun to the buyer's FFL, and FFL will not receive it, so the gun is in limbo.

The private seller should take the gun to his FFL and have them ship it to the buyer's FFL or should check with the receiving FFL first.

Edited because I should check my facts before posting on the fly. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ammo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2014
    You know, I see this on GB more and more. A non-ffl advertises a gun and says straight up in their add that they are NOT an ffl. Then go on to state that you need to make sure that YOUR ffl will recieve a gun from a NON ffl.

Do they not realize that most ffl dealers will NOT do a transfer from a non-ffl ??? Do they not realize that they are limiting their market size to only include ffl holders or those who have a "buddy" that is???

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just establish a local ffl dealer that they can use to do your transfers and then add that cost in??? Or at least give that option...

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    It is perfectly legal for a non-FFL to ship to an FFL for a transfer. If the FFL will accept from a non-FFL, however, is up to the individual FFL owner.

Orion Arms has no issues accepting these transfers, so long as the shipper/seller includes a copy of their drivers license with the weapon.

This is why you ALWAYS check with the place you want to do the transfer first...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Did the nameless friend also tell you that the lifetime LTCH is going away?
    Did you ask him to cite the law, or change in law?

Note, this might be true in CA, but not elsewhere.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I believe that both ends of the transaction either have to be private party or both ends need to be FFL. To my knowledge, the FFL cannot receive shipment from a private party. I've seen this on INGO before, where the private seller sends the gun to the buyer's FFL, and FFL will not receive it, so the gun is in limbo.

The private seller should take the gun to his FFL and have them ship it to the buyer's FFL.

That's because that receiving FFL was an idiot. :n00b:

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I do not believe it is a legal requirement for it to come from an FFL. The FFL I use does these transfers with no problem.

If this were truly the case that it has to come from an FFL, how would an out of state seller from a state surrounding IN sell legally to an Indiana resident? I have seen many references of out of state sellers meeting in state buyers at an FFL to complete the transfer.

To me it sounds like an FFL that doesn't know so they are playing it too conservative or they are as mentioned above supporting the buddy system.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It is up to the receiving FFL, as stated above, whether they want to receive from a non-FFL. It is perfectly legal to do so as long as a copy of the non-FFLs driver's license or another form of accepted photo ID is included in the shipment. Many FFLs, and I don't know the reason for this, will not accept such shipments.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I ran into this a couple of times as well too when I was thinning out my collection. It is worth it to make sure to include in the auction listing that if the buyer's FFL requires it to come from an FFL then the buyer is paying the fees on both ends.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Does it make any difference if the transaction is for a handgun or long gun? I've shipped long guns via UPS with no issue. I've never tried shipping a handgun.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    OP, it would be beneficial to post the name of the FFL that won't transfer the firearm because this may keep others from being in the same position that your friend is in now. Just saying.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Does it make any difference if the transaction is for a handgun or long gun? I've shipped long guns via UPS with no issue. I've never tried shipping a handgun.
    In my case, it was a long gun both times. An SKS and a bolt-action Mannlicher.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

UPS and FedEx requires overnight shipping, that's it. For handguns, USPS is cheaper.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    My friend did call a week ahead and was told no problem.

Then when he got there yesterday a whole different tune.

Jimmy

Ammo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2014
    I ran into this a couple of times as well too when I was thinning out my collection. It is worth it to make sure to include in the auction listing that if the buyer's FFL requires it to come from an FFL then the buyer is paying the fees on both ends.

+1

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    In the granola state (California nothing but fruits nuts and flakes) it must by Cali law be from an FFL to an FFL coming into the state. Thus why lots of ads state no Cali sales.

If an FFL wants to not accept private ownership out of state transfer well it is their right to do so. No illegal sale for them if they did but a decision not to as a business model or like stated got burned somehow before. Their house their rules. Mine will except them and 15 dollars to do so. Anderson based. Let me know if you need one transferee.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom