Are Dell computers trash now, or just this one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    You can also browse a pretty good selection of 100% bloatware free PC's at Microsoft's Signature Edition store:

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/cat/Signature-Edition-PCs/categoryID.69916600

Yep, I was going to suggest this as well. Also, as others have stated buying a PC with an SSD is definitely recommended. I bought a lower end Dell and while it is ok for what it is, I notice a big difference from my work PCs that have SSDs.

I also find that browsers are definitely pulling more resources than in the past. Whether that is a function of the sites, or the browsers, I'm not sure.

I'd definitely recommend a bloatware free machine from the Microsoft store or other source, or reloading the OS yourself, and getting a machine with a good amount of RAM and an SSD.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I used to build my own desktops, but I'm well over that now. Seriously, I'm quite outdated. I have no idea what's good hardware and what's not. When I was relevant, Dell was assembled in the US, was ordered to spec, and had the best customer service ratings in the industry. PeoplePC was a thing. People got AOL discs in the mail to try out that whole Internet thing.

Anyway, the "decrap my computer" thing just crashes the laptop. I manually removed all the bloatware I could, did all the Windows updates, and am currently defragging. It's helped enough I can at least browse the web without the pointer freezing up and do basic word processing in WordPad. That's the majority of what I bought it for, so WTF ever, I'll use it as my travel laptop and figure lesson learned. I'd seriously rather have Windows XP.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    As have a lot of old dells here at work that run great. Tough, reliable etc. mine was too old and got replaced with a newer lighter HP. It was junk out of the box. Constant issues that boiled down to the USB plugs being loose on the mother board. Sent it back to HP and now I've got a newer hp with a ssd. Ho. Lee. Crap. Love the start up and shut down time.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    I'd seriously rather have Windows XP.

I feel your pain. I used XP for a decade until my Dell desktop finally died and I had that computer on 24/7 for nearly its entire lifespan, the only time it was ever off was during power outages. Anyways transitioning from that to Windows 10 has been...fun. I removed McAfee in favor of Avast and chose Firefox over edge or whatever windows browser is called these days. So far so good, but yeah I miss Xp's simplicity. If I recall there's a setting to choose cp performance over features in 10, have you tried that setting?

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    and BobDaniels "To sum it up in one word: Windows. With each new version of windows, it takes more and more processing power and ram. Windows is probably the biggest piece of bloatware on that laptop."

Windows 10 uses less system resources than 7 does once you configure it correctly and turn off hybrid sleep. With the exception of losing my webcam briefly with the Aniversary update, I have had no problems with Win10 on my Desktop or my i3 4GB Lenovo since it released.

I must admit my exposure to win 10 is limited to two workstations (surface pro) and after spending a week trying to disable edge and various other "features", I decided to stick with win 7 as long as I can for workstations. It is good to hear that Microsoft has finally gone the other direction with their bloatware operating systems.

So far server 2012 has been my favorite OS and I've been through them all professionally since NT 3.5.

Top Bottom