• techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Not that you need another piece of advice, but why not:

Use his rifle as the control and leave it out of the equation for now.
    Start with new ammo in your rifle, period. Shoot it. See what happens.

If that fixes it, then go from there.

If you start with his rifle then you add in so many new variables that your experiment is not very useful.

Ammo shift = 1 Variable change (Ammo)
    Rifle shift = >1 Variable change (barrel, BCG, heat, etc)

This is an experiment. Stay with the scientific model you learned in school - it is your friend far more than any INGO member can be.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Your friend is either very brave or a bit off. I would not put anything of question down my AR's. Run yours on the good ammo first. See what that does. It does sound like you have washed out the barrel.
    Never have and never will run cheap steel through my guns. I like them too much. If you can not afford the gas mileage don't buy a hot rod. JMHO and nothing more. carry on.

He seems pretty normal lol. We are gonna run a control though his gun with good ammo. Then run my ammo through his gun to see if the ammo is the problem. If it isnt the ammo we are gonna run his ammo through my gun to see if it is my gun.

Steel casings have nothing to do with the barrel....maybe the extractor but ive never had any problems with that.

Am I totally mistaken in thinking that there's no difference in the actual bullets between the steel and the brass bear ammo/steel and brass wolf ammo. The only difference is really the case, and possibly the powder (since people say steel is dirtier). Considering that's true (if it is) how would steel ammo wear out a bore any faster than brass. The ONLY thing I can see steel wearing out faster is the chamber/extractor since it's a harder metal.

Am I way off base? I've never had an issue with steel cased.

Im on your side lol. Ive never had any problems with the extractor or bolt using this sort of ammo.

Not that you need another piece of advice, but why not:

Use his rifle as the control and leave it out of the equation for now.
    Start with new ammo in your rifle, period. Shoot it. See what happens.

If that fixes it, then go from there.

If you start with his rifle then you add in so many new variables that your experiment is not very useful.

Ammo shift = 1 Variable change (Ammo)
    Rifle shift = >1 Variable change (barrel, BCG, heat, etc)

This is an experiment. Stay with the scientific model you learned in school - it is your friend far more than any INGO member can be.

Advice taken!! We are gonna run though all the possible causes and start there to begin with. It ought to be an interesting morning thats for sure.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Am I totally mistaken in thinking that there's no difference in the actual bullets between the steel and the brass bear ammo/steel and brass wolf ammo. The only difference is really the case, and possibly the powder (since people say steel is dirtier). Considering that's true (if it is) how would steel ammo wear out a bore any faster than brass. The ONLY thing I can see steel wearing out faster is the chamber/extractor since it's a harder metal.

Am I way off base? I've never had an issue with steel cased.

Russian ammo commonly has a steel jacket underneath the copper. I don't know if that is true for the .223 or if it matters.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    He seems pretty normal lol. We are gonna run a control though his gun with good ammo. Then run my ammo through his gun to see if the ammo is the problem. If it isnt the ammo we are gonna run his ammo through my gun to see if it is my gun.

Steel casings have nothing to do with the barrel....maybe the extractor but ive never had any problems with that.

Im on your side lol. Ive never had any problems with the extractor or bolt using this sort of ammo.

Advice taken!! We are gonna run though all the possible causes and start there to begin with. It ought to be an interesting morning thats for sure.

No knock on your buddy. If he is willing to put his Colt out there for you..+1
    You need to keep it scientific as mentioned by others. To many variables will just confuse the and distort the issue. _KISS_Keep it simple silly.
    I have had feed issues with steel rds. in my DPMS that the son in law uses. He bought some of that Russian crap (cheap ain't always good) and we had all kinds of problems until I saw it was steel. Put factory brass in the mag and off to the races. Was it just that gun, I have no idea but I try and keep decent ammo to feed the critters.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

This isn't a valid test. You don't care how YOUR ammo does through HIS gun. You only care about how ammo in general does in YOUR gun.

Try some of his Federal in YOUR gun and see if that clears it up. If it does - problem solved.

His barrel isn't your barrel, and may do just fine with ammo, even though that same ammo doesn't work in YOUR gun.

Don't add any more variables. Stick with trying things in YOUR rifle, and leave his in its case.

Top Bottom