• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Girth6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2014
    Plainfield
    Ok AR experts I have a buddie who got a new smith AR15 sport. We put my old 3gun scope on it Burris 1*4 and can not get a consistent zero at 50 yards the rounds are all over the road using a sandbag for support. Thinking my scope was bad we remounted it on a old stag I have. And bingo 1/4 inch groups off the sandbag. So if the scopes good what are some things we can look for on the AR before sending it back to smith.

thx in advance

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    How are you mounting it? (Or just shaking hands?) ;)

Also, what kind of handguard -freefloat?

What ammunition? Try different kinds? Try same kind in your Stag?

Any BUIS or other optic you can try on the Smith?

And I'm not even near an expert. :D

Girth6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2014
    Plainfield
    Same ammo 55g federal, free float hand guard. We're not talking 3 inch groups were talking it's off by a 12 inches from shot to shot. Mounting it on sandbags shooting prone (I know not the best buts it's all that's available).

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    See if the barrel nut is loose.....
    Can't remember where I heard this, but somewhere I read a similar problem with an SW Sport and that was the issue...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Mounting it on sandbags shooting prone (I know not the best buts it's all that's available).

Sorry - I meant, how is the optic mounted to the Smith AR? :) Same rings used on the Stag?

And 12" groups?! Dang. Yeah, that sounds like something more fundamentally wrong with the barrel, if it isn't the optic.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The scope mounts to the upper, and the barrel mounts to the upper, vs most rifles where the scope mounts to the barrel. If either or both are loose, you'll get what you're getting. The only other possibility I can think of is the upper is cracked and held together by the lower, scope and bolt carrier. You'd think you would see it, and I'd be genuinely surprised, but with some of the wild stuff I've seen I wouldn't say impossible.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    What bore is the rifles barrel? We never had to think about this b4 6mm, 300 Blackout and everything else. Easily checked with a bullet in the muzzle,

Something is loose or out of spec.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Sounds like something is definitely wrong with the rifle. I would look down the bore, make sure it doesn't have any burs or debri in it from being manufactured. I'd also check the barrel nut and make sure it is on there right.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Many factors... barrel twist/ammo combo. Scope mount issues (especially if done on cheap aftermarket freefloat quad rail). Damage to the barrel rifling/crown. There are a lot of things that have to come together to make an accurate rifle.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    A sport model would not come with a FF handguard, which means someone added it. Unless they used a Samson/Fortis/Alpha/etc. that uses the factory barrel nut, the barrel came off the receiver. I'm guessing a less-than-qualified gunsmith is to blame.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    That seems really off, even for a crappy scope. Same shooter off that much? Or are you switching shooters and it's off that much? (even so, the latter is kind of off a lot).

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    See if the barrel nut is loose.....
    Can't remember where I heard this, but somewhere I read a similar problem with an SW Sport and that was the issue...

Any word on this OP? I was thinking the same thing... If the optic and the mounting of it isn't the issue, this is what I thought of but who knows. I've never had any experience with a loose one, but it's what I also thought of and so I agree with SEIndSAM

Girth6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2014
    Plainfield
    Talked to smith and there taking the rifle back to look at it, very impressed with smith and Wesson customer service. Thx all I'll let you all know what they say

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Talked to smith and there taking the rifle back to look at it, very impressed with smith and Wesson customer service. Thx all I'll let you all know what they say

Good to know, thanks for the update!

Girth6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2014
    Plainfield
    Buddie got word from smith there sending him a new rifle, he said that the old ar had in Smiths words "Barrel issues".

dont know what that means but cudos to smith and Wesson for great customer service.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Glad it got resolved. I was going to suggest checking the choke tube. Sounds like a Modified and you probably should be shooting a Full.

Top Bottom