• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    A company named Hardened Arms makes an AR upper for $219... (+shipping)

Should I just order the thing online or are some of the upper dealers, the ones with uppers lined up like corn rows, selling a $200 price point. No BCG or charging handle expected.

Do you guys ever see that price range for new at the 1500? 4-5 shows under my belt and I've never shopped those tables.

Thanks!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I've had a couple Hardened Arms uppers, and they've worked well for me.

That's a good price, but look for them on gunbroker. They usually don't have a reserve, and you can sometimes get them for even less than $200, depending on which kind. Their shipping is high, as I recall, but it was still a good deal.

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    Take a look at Alpha Shooting Sports out in CA. They have some really good seasonal sales. Last year I tried a complete 10.5" pistol upper with a keymod rail, flash can, etc for $399 w $24 shipping. Hundreds of rounds and a year later I jumped on a complete 16" rifle kit for the same price. Only have a few mags through it, but it has ran flawless as well.

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    I just bought a 16" hardened arms upper off gunbroker on 12/5. Came to like $225 after shipping, which I thought was pretty good based off reviews and already having a rail. Paid, got confirmation emails from Hardened and GB. On 1/5, I had to send them a strongly worded email asking for an update. I reminded them that the gun community talks, a lot, and that leaving peoe hanging for a month with no emails, no status updates, etc isn't great for reputation of an up-and-coming business. Within an hour I got an email saying my order had shipped- this was at 6:45 pm, and the email was dated for the next day. It also came with a tracking number, which still said "Pending" until the 9th. It was picked up by UPS on the 10th, it is currently in Indy and will probably make it to me tomorrow.

I understand the increased sales, crazy shipping around the holidays, etc. But maybe send an email letting me know that they are behind schedule. Maybe don't auction your product every 30 min on GB like you have an entire warehouse overstocked if you can't meet demand. If you want an upper now, get one at the 1500. If you are OK waiting a month and sending an angry email, then Hardened seems like a cheap, decent quality option.

firecop9774

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Northern Hamilton County
    I ordered a H.A. 16" upper with FF quad rail in December for $199 plus 20 or so for shipping. It was delivered within the advertised three week time period, with a tracking number emailed when shipped.

Great upper and good service as far as I'm concerned. The lead times they advertised were accurate, at least in my case.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, I think on my second order, I had to politely inquire when the anticipated ship-date passed. But, it still got to me within what I would consider a reasonable amount of time.

Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Thank you all for the detailed answers regarding HA. Wish I could remember some of the names/banners from the show tables.

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    Even with today's AR market, a sub $200 price point is going to be pretty hard to beat. At Knob Creek this past fall the bottom lined seemed to be right around $250 for blemished or sracth and dent uppers (minus BCG & CH).

Add in a little Obama EA panic and this show might be interesting.

I'm not saying you wont find one, it's entirely possible. But, if you've found something online that you like, you may save yourself some headache a get it there. From what others have said, shipping cost is probably gonig to be about the same cost as parking and entrance fee.

To answer your other question. The couple compaines that I remember off the top of my head are.
    PK Firearms,
    Double Star Arms
    Model 1 Sales

There are also some builders, but I can't remember any of their names right now.

Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Even with today's AR market, a sub $200 price point is going to be pretty hard to beat. At Knob Creek this past fall the bottom lined seemed to be right around $250 for blemished or sracth and dent uppers (minus BCG & CH).

Add in a little Obama EA panic and this show might be interesting.

I'm not saying you wont find one, it's entirely possible. But, if you've found something online that you like, you may save yourself some headache a get it there. From what others have said, shipping cost is probably gonig to be about the same cost as parking and entrance fee.

To answer your other question. The couple compaines that I remember off the top of my head are.
    PK Firearms,
    Double Star Arms
    Model 1 Sales

There are also some builders, but I can't remember any of their names right now.

Thanks for the vendor names! I'm sure I'll end up at the show no matter what my decision... This could be a show for the record books. I'm curious if it will be people blowing out inventory knowing they may not qualify for the next one or people dropping dolla-bills like the zombie apocalypse starts Monday.

I guess in reality I'm hopeful there would be something between 200-250. This won't be the first AR in the shed but rather an AR that I don't mind handing over to someone learning. I like the idea of something 'base model' where there are no slings, forward grip, scope, flashligt w/remote switch, and largest setting on the magpul grip, etc... That all complicate things for a brand new shooter.

Thanks for all the responses from everyone and even more thanks to those that held back the 'get what ya pay for' comments :) THANKS!

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    Thanks for the vendor names! I'm sure I'll end up at the show no matter what my decision... This could be a show for the record books. I'm curious if it will be people blowing out inventory knowing they may not qualify for the next one or people dropping dolla-bills like the zombie apocalypse starts Monday.

I guess in reality I'm hopeful there would be something between 200-250. This won't be the first AR in the shed but rather an AR that I don't mind handing over to someone learning. I like the idea of something 'base model' where there are no slings, forward grip, scope, flashligt w/remote switch, and largest setting on the magpul grip, etc... That all complicate things for a brand new shooter.

Thanks for all the responses from everyone and even more thanks to those that held back the 'get what ya pay for' comments :) THANKS!

I understand completely. I have an upper receiver assembly that needs to be finished out. I was looking for a good deal on a 16" barrel with a fixed front sight. But it seems like at the price point for just a barrel, theres not much advantage to building your own uppers as opposed to buying something already assembled.

Maybe I'm being too picky, I just want a 16" (or 14.5 with pinned flash hider), either carbine or mid length gas system, in an m4 (or similar lighter weight profile), with a fixed front sight already installed.

I was basically wanting to build a basic no frills M4 type beater rifle. Like you mentioned, I don't need quad rails, or lights, or any of that other stuff.

Top Bottom