• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    Do you have to fill out a form 5 to build an AR pistol or can you just register the receiver as a pistol when you purchase a stripped lower? I'm curious because I was just reading something's about them. Also I read that if it's registered as a pistol you can convert it to a rifle?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If the receiver was stripped from the factory and was ran as an "other" on the 4473, you can build an AR pistol no problem.

If it ever had a buttstock on the receiver, legally it can't be a pistol and you'd have to SBR the receiver if you wanted a barrel over 16" OAL.

If it was a virgin receiver or started life with a pistol extension, it can be converted to a long gun and pistol, back and forth, freely.

Form 5 is a NFA form that you shouldn't worry about, this is a standard pistol

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    If the receiver was stripped from the factory and was ran as an "other" on the 4473, you can build an AR pistol no problem.

If it ever had a buttstock on the receiver, legally it can't be a pistol and you'd have to SBR the receiver if you wanted a barrel over 16" OAL.

If it was a virgin receiver or started life with a pistol extension, it can be converted to a long gun and pistol, back and forth, freely.

Form 5 is a NFA form that you shouldn't worry about, this is a standard pistol

Are you sure about the bolded part above? I thought once you went to a long gun (stock) you couldn't go back to a pistol.... I could completely be wrong.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Are you sure about the bolded part above? I thought once you went to a long gun (stock) you couldn't go back to a pistol.... I could completely be wrong.

I should have worded myself better, if it had a pistol extension on it first, it makes the receiver a pistol at heart (it's stupid) and you can put a rifle extension on it later on and make it a regular (non NFA) rifle without anything special. If you go the SBR route, then NFA applies. If it had a rifle/carbine extension on it first, it has to stay that way (as a long gun).

Same crap as with a TC Encore frame, once a long gun always a long gun, if it started off as a "pistol", you can swap. Or at least it was, I don't think ATF made an exception for the Encore

turner66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    This was a subject me and buddy's were confused about just the other day lol thanks for helping clear it up guys

Top Bottom