Apparently whole milk is a thing of the past now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Buy into a herd-share program and get some raw milk. I will warn you it is prone to spoiling faster than pasturized milk, on the other hand it is rich and has a head of cream on the top of it. It is some tasty stuff. :yesway:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    YES, OREOS and beer suck!

:+1:

131116866999212.jpg

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    The best type of whole milk is grass fed raw milk. Non homogenized. It is full of cream, tastes better, and has no added ingredients. If its too creamy, skim some off for dessert or to make butter.
    If your on a septic raw milk has bacteria and enzymes that are good for septics. When raw milk goes sour DO NOT throw it out. Use it for sourdough or buttermilk biscuits or something. Those chunks are called clabber and are responsible for leavening bread items. Its why Clabber Girl baking powder has that name.
    If you dont want to bake with it, add it to a saucepan with either vinegar or lemon juice and make tsvarog, or farmers cheese. It only takes a few minutes and is a staple ingredient in traditional European cheesecakes. Unlike store bought milk, raw milk doesn't really go bad. It just changes, which means no more dumping it unless you absolutely have to or don't want to use it.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    It sounds like a label change. As I recall, "whole milk" technically means none of the fat has been removed. It could be the company is skimming just a little fat off to make money on some other product and still leaving it in the higher range so they can sell it like whole milk. Or maybe USDA made a change in their requirements. I don't know.

BTW, although I normally find organic products not worth the money (and not necessarily lower in chemicals) some of the organic milks have more fatty acids. You might appreciate that for your daughter. Costco carries one though it would be even better to buy from a local or regional dairy if you have a source.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    In college I had a girlfriend whose father grew up on a dairy farm. He would buy "heavy whipping cream" and mix it with whole milk to recreate that "fresh from the cow richness".

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    In college I had a girlfriend whose father grew up on a dairy farm. He would buy "heavy whipping cream" and mix it with whole milk to recreate that "fresh from the cow richness".

I still remember getting milk in glass jugs with paper/foil caps. You had to remove the "fat plug" at the top to pour the milk out of a fresh jug. :fogey:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    As a kid when my Grandfather made ice cream, when you ate it the fat would coat your teeth and mouth.

Edit.. I have posted before that I was used as slave labor,lol on my family's farms as a kid. I have churned hundreds of pounds of butter but I did it with the big square glass jars with a metal hand crank on top of it and wooden beaters inside of the jar. Maybe a 1 1/2 lb at a time. It was about as much fun as cubing pig fat on butcher day.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As a kid when my Grandfather made ice cream, when you ate it the fat would coat your teeth and mouth.

Edit.. I have posted before that I was used as slave labor,lol on my family's farms as a kid. I have churned hundreds of pounds of butter but I did it with the big square glass jars with a metal hand crank on top of it and wooden beaters inside of the jar. Maybe a 1 1/2 lb at a time. It was about as much fun as cubing pig fat on butcher day.

I remember the Ice Cream.
    I milked cows (by hand) and goats.
    I churned butter.
    I fed chickens and gathered eggs.
    Killed and plucked for dinner.
    Hunted game for food.

I miss the cool stuff now.

Top Bottom