• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jcole

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    I was thinking about getting the upper. Ive been using a ruger super redhawk for the last 6 years with pretty good results. Just thought I might try something new.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I picked up the RRA upper last year, built a lower and put a Magpul UBR stock and an Aimpoint Comp9000 red dot on it. I've only shot it on my range, but I intend to use it for deer season this year!

Everyone I've talked to who has used the .458 is pretty happy with its performance, and if you load your own rounds it's a very versatile round.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I picked up the RRA upper last year, built a lower and put a Magpul UBR stock and an Aimpoint Comp9000 red dot on it. I've only shot it on my range, but I intend to use it for deer season this year!

Everyone I've talked to who has used the .458 is pretty happy with its performance, and if you load your own rounds it's a very versatile round.
    ^^^ What he said, except this will be my second season hunting with it. Unfortunately I didn't get to put it to use hunting last year, I never got a shot at any deer.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Deer are afraid of the evil black rifle too! Their tree huggers you know! Ahh just playin, I've been wanting one for awhile now. Someday!

mighty2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I will be using it this year.

I am not sure what ammo just yet.

I have been playing with the Corbon 405 out to 200yds with a 6 inch drop from 100 yds.

Might need to use on a Coyoto to see the damage.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Deer are afraid of the evil black rifle too!

That's why we cleverly disguise them in innocent single shot rifles.

MGM_458_BFG_Breech.jpg

458_BFG_Encore-500x122.jpg

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i got a custom build one by indy gun works (bolt action holds 2 and 1 in the hole) its pretty amazing. i bought a bunch of new reloads from some people at the 1500 and its pretty close to 1 inch groups at 100. haven't ran it any further yet as that will be about my longest shot on public land. i did smack 2 hogs with it and the first one damn near did a flip and died right where it was hit at. the second one i rocked it right in the shield and its leg spun in a complete circle and he crumpled on the spot also. i can wait to hit a deer with one :)

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    im hoping to use a 458 this deer season. ive got a buddy who just got one. im going to let him do the load development then talk him into leaving it at my house for deer season.

wish me luck

Too bad said buddy doesn't have a buddy with a farm to do said load development..

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Vincennes
    Can one of you guys tell me how to post a picture relevant to this thread. I have looked thru the FAQ but cannot seem to get it done. Thanks

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    I too will be using the 458 this year for the first time. Right now just gathering different factory loaded ammo to see what works best. Also waiting on a couple of rounds of reloads with cast bullets from whans in LaOtto. Then next year hopefully will start to load my own.

cigarman454

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    107   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    East Central, IN
    I have to use Photobucket then drag and drop. I purchased the 458 SOCOM RRA upper last year. This has become my favorite rifle, not to mention I can deer hunt with it. I have shot the 300GR Corbons through it getting about 1-1/2" groups at 100yrds. I am now shooting the cheep 300grJHP Remington's with Winchester 296 powder and can get 3/4" groups at 100yrds if I do my part. I have not harvested a deer yet but my son did last year, don't shoulder shoot a deer with this round unless you don't like venison, it scraped out the hole front end of this buck and it was around 170# animal. This round is awesome.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Vincennes
    Thanks Dave29. The one on the left was shot at about 30 yards with my muzzle loader. I was using the Barnes MZ Expander ball in my TC 209x50 and 2 pellets of Pyrodex RS. :)

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    :ingo:This is what i have been looking for - Info on the .458. I got my RRA .458 in Jan. and have been waiting on ammo, options or suggestions for optics and reloading dope. Please continue to post, I am taking notes and hoping to learn. I plan on doing Indiana deer and would like to go on another hog hunt with this new weapon. I have also been asked about going on a bear hunt and have considered using this. Again, I would love to hear any suggestions for optics, loads, reloading and where anyone has found ammo in stock. Thanks:patriot:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    :ingo:This is what i have been looking for - Info on the .458. I got my RRA .458 in Jan. and have been waiting on ammo, options or suggestions for optics and reloading dope. Please continue to post, I am taking notes and hoping to learn. I plan on doing Indiana deer and would like to go on another hog hunt with this new weapon. I have also been asked about going on a bear hunt and have considered using this. Again, I would love to hear any suggestions for optics, loads, reloading and where anyone has found ammo in stock. Thanks:patriot:

Get on MidwayUSA's alert for ammo, they seem to be getting it in semi-regularly.

As far as optics goes, make sure it's something that can stand up to recoil, the .458 hits hard. I tried a Vortex Strikefire on mine and the mount kept shifting no matter how tight I had the screws. I replaced it with an Aimpoint Comp9000 with a set of badger rings and it's been much more stable.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom