• ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I have a FMJ model D derringer made by FMJ Company in Ducktown TN. I never had the guts to fire the thing It's a single shot breakdown design with a 3 3/8ths in barrel. It's chambered in .45 cal. LC and .410 shotshells in 2.5 in length only. I'd love to hear from someone who shot one or would like to shoot this one at Popguns some day I am there. Any takers?

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I have a FMJ model D derringer made by FMJ Company in Ducktown TN.

I'd love to hear from someone who shot one or would like to shoot this one at Popguns some day I am there. Any takers?

#1 Congratulations!
    #2 No, thank you very much for the offer!

I think the little trigger sticks out after "YOU" cock the hammer.:)

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Guess I am not as chicken as I thought. LOL Looks like I have good company. You are right, the trigger pops out when you cock the gun. I might shoot it with a .410 but not a 45LC. I have always been afraid it would break my thumb or hand but I might be surprised and find out it does not kick as much as I suspect. Still, I'd rather be second in line to try it.

Looks almost home made in a shop class with the welds, etc. Got it in a package deal for almost nothing and probably have had it for almost 14 years and never shot it.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I'll shoot it. I've been married for 15 years - nothing scares me. :lmfao:

Actually I've shot .38 +p's through a Davis Industry derringer and it wasn't bad. I know the .45LC would be more of a kick but it might be kind of fun! :)

edg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    1 o'clock on the 465 dial
    I'll shoot it with 'ya! I had a Bond Arms Snake Slayer IV and sat down and put 50 rounds of 45LC thru it in one sitting. No prob. Now the 410 in the XXX shot was a whole different story. Stung like heck! The snake shot was a breeze also!

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've got the .38 derringer. Not sure on the model but it's the two shooter. I've always shot +p and just recently found out, not such a good idea. It kicks like a mule and you couldn't hit the side of the titanic 3 ft away with it. I could only imagine what a 45 would be like.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Ducktown is down near the Ocoee River at the edge of Tennessee and Georgia. I used to camp nearby in the National Forest when we were paddling on the Ocoee.

The area is a kudzu haven - much of the income was through, uh, unlicensed/untaxed alcohol production. I think there is a new cash crop there now.

.410 derringer? I'm betting that was "Granny's snake gun."

003423_22.jpg

I've got two matching Stevens from the turn of the century that came from my Grandfather. One is a breakdown .22lr and the other is a .410/.45LC. The .410/.45LC has a looooong barrel. I can't say I've shot it either. :)

zookeeperk9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    I'll shoot it. I've been married for 15 years - nothing scares me. :lmfao:

Actually I've shot .38 +p's through a Davis Industry derringer and it wasn't bad. I know the .45LC would be more of a kick but it might be kind of fun! :)

I have been married 24 years..... you can shoot me with it.:lmfao:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I've been married 42 years. Lasted that long by being smarter than the average bear, which is why I want to see someone else shoot this thing before I do. LOL I might bring it to Pops this friday afternoon at 3ish and see if I get the nerve to shoot it.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The problem with those guns is the opening of them to change shells. It plain sucks. Not to mention poor metalurgy. The third downside to them is that they lose a TON of velocity with that short of a barrel. Look up .45 derringer tests on boards and gel for this. In short, they stink. .410 shells do nothing but **** the guy off (half the pellets bounce off unless they are really close, under 5 meters) and .45 Colt has little penetrating power in these unless you are close (give me a .45 this size that can take the hot Blackhawk or Contender only loads, then were talking :D). Then on top of that, keep in mind you only have one shot at a super close distance. Make it count.

Its not a bad purchase, just not a feasible one for defense. It would be a good get-the-hell-off-me gun, but only one shot for that. I see alot of these in the hands of folks as a "truck" gun, but the hype is way overblown. They are a neat novelty. :D:D

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot! FTW

Ducktown is down near the Ocoee River at the edge of Tennessee and Georgia. I used to camp nearby in the National Forest when we were paddling on the Ocoee.

The area is a kudzu haven - much of the income was through, uh, unlicensed/untaxed alcohol production. I think there is a new cash crop there now.

.410 derringer? I'm betting that was "Granny's snake gun."

003423_22.jpg

I've got two matching Stevens from the turn of the century that came from my Grandfather. One is a breakdown .22lr and the other is a .410/.45LC. The .410/.45LC has a looooong barrel. I can't say I've shot it either. :)

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    This is not a real PP gun but like you say a novelty gun to keep in your glove box as a cheap backup to a real gun. If a person is a few feet away from you and get the front end of a .410 shot cluster or a 45LC or even a.22 they will be hurting if not dead unless you shoot them in the foot; in that case you shouldn't own a gun in the first place and need to stay home.

Revelations

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    NW IND/ Tampa Bay
    Many years ago I had one like that. Shot both .45 LC and .410 through it.

The thing was a beast. It was a fun little toy. I only got it out when I was at the range letting other people try it out.

Top Bottom