Anyone know about firearms from the 1560s?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zig'sbird

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This is WAY outside of my knowledge base but I was hoping someone here would know.

The reason behind this is I do Medieval reenactment and want to put together a kit for a Hospitaller at the Siege of Malta in 1565. Ideally I am looking for links so I can go back to it a lot over time. Also links for the replicas would me nice.....:D

Anyways,

Thanks

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    This should start you off.
    Most companies I dealt with in the day, aren't in business anymore. Most propmasters now just order online.

For guns of that era, you may want to call. They should know right away. Not too common.
    For blades, most places use to want to know if you wanted them to be sharp to dull before shipping out.

Collectors Armoury (first one) is probably one of the oldest and well equipped armorer I've worked with through the years.

Blank Guns & Ammo | Blank Firing Guns | Replica Denix Guns & Movie Props | Collector’s Armoury

Knives, Swords and Martial Arts Equipment from Extremely Sharp

Replica Weapons | Replica Guns | Mini Cannons | Replica Weaponry

https://www.atlantacutlery.com/default.aspx

Replica Swords - Medieval Swords - Fantasy Swords - Samurai Swords

armory weapons | medieval swords | medieval weapons | knight armor costumes

Zig'sbird

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What do you want to know about wheelocks and snapping hens?

Yes.

For bladed arms of the time period along with their armour I'm good. The guns I'm clueless within that time period.

Dead Duck - thanks for the links. Luckily I'm already in good for the bladed arms and armour since this is my main historical interest. However, the earliest firearms I've played with are cap lock muzzleloaders. That being said links are always good because you don't know what you'll find :D

Zig'sbird

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What do you want to know about wheelocks and snapping hens?

Ok, it looks like snapping hens were not in common use by that time since they were only introduced in the 1550s but the Snaplock would be what I should be looking at more carefully. Is this correct? Also this would be for the musket and not for a pistol?

Second - pistols?

Overall gentlemen, thank you. I found what I was looking for and now it's just digging down to for exact details.

dascollector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    If you're into this time period, you may find this site's black powder menu interesting. The folks over at myarmoury.com discuss handgonnes, arquebuses, and hackbuts. In 1560, you're at the end of the matchlock era and starting into wheel locks, and you're starting to see muskets take over, but they co-existed during this era. I'd suggest starting with a query at myarmoury where the experts can really help you get your gear sorted out. From there...

De Valette mentioned several thousand arquebusiers, so that may be a good route for you. From what I've heard, the person you really want to talk to is John Buck from Musket Mart Main, although he may be leaving the business. Of note, you can find a lot more discussion on the pre-flintlock forums in places like this: Pre-Flintlock (Forum list) - Traditional Muzzleloading Forum - Muzzleloader Flintlock Black Powder.

(excuse the lazy links - dinner calls!)

Zig'sbird

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Honestly I belong to myarmoury but I rarely go there. The only time I go there is only for the market place. Otherwise I am on Armour Archive.

I asked this on the AA and got 'blank looks.' I figured that someone here would be able to point me in the right direction.

dascollector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    I lurk around both AA and MyArmoury as well and I'm a couple of bits away from finishing a suit of late 1400's plate - I'm there with you on how much fun it is to set a complete setup built.

Good luck, and please post your musket or matchlock when you get it. Medieval gunpowder weapons aren't my thing, but it'd be a treat to see a nice replica here.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    From what I gathered on Wiki and some other sites, matchlock muskets were in use with European armies until around 1720. The Ottomans started using them in the 1440's period. So, I think you would be okay with a matchlock musket. Most matchlock repro's I've seen are copies of English-style rifles from the 17th Century, though. As an example:

MVTCo Matchlock Musket

Top Bottom