• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I was able to load the main page once but can't get past that. A couple of days ago it would load fine but I got busy and didn't sign up. Maybe I'll try early morning to see if it's any better.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I bought one earler as well when the articles came out about the big interest rates. so I have to wait for 2023 and will likely buy another one. I never did see where to set my beneficiary.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I bought one earler as well when the articles came out about the big interest rates. so I have to wait for 2023 and will likely buy another one. I never did see where to set my beneficiary.

Adding a secondary owner or beneficiary to securities registered in single ownership form is simple in TreasuryDirect. You can edit securities being held in Current Holdings; however, you cannot edit savings bonds held in your Gift Box. Securities in a Conversion Linked account (CLA) must first be transferred to a primary or another linked account in order to add a secondary owner.

Your electronic savings bonds and Treasury marketable securities may be registered in your name alone, your name with a secondary owner, or your name with a beneficiary. Each registrant's taxpayer identification number must be shown. Note: Registrations in entity accounts may not name a secondary owner or beneficiary. All securities in an entity account carry a registration identical to the entity account name.

To add a secondary owner or beneficiary to your securities registered in single ownership form:

• Click the ManageDirect tab at the top of the page.
    • Under the heading Manage My Securities click "Edit" a registration.
    • On the Edit Security Registration page, choose the security type you want to edit and click "Submit".
    • On the Summary page, choose the security or securities you wish to edit and click "Select" (you may edit up to 50 securities to the same registration).
    • On the Detail page, select the registration containing the secondary owner or beneficiary you desire from the drop-down box. (If you've never created the registration, you can do so by clicking "Add New Registration". Once you've created the new registration, the system will bring you back to the Detail page where you'll find the new registration listed in the drop-down box.) Note: Entity accounts may only have one registration. All securities in an entity account carry a registration identical to the entity account name.
    • Once you've selected the desired registration, click "Submit" to complete the change in registration for the security.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

It's a $10k limit per person per year, married couples can get $20k but they do have to be under each individual's name. It doesn't matter how many bonds you buy, just total amount, so unless you bought one $10k bond you can still buy more.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was able to load the main page once but can't get past that. A couple of days ago it would load fine but I got busy and didn't sign up. Maybe I'll try early morning to see if it's any better.
    I got through at 1am.

And what's up with that stupid password entry system? My 32 random character password was a PITA to enter.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I got through at 1am.

And what's up with that stupid password entry system? My 32 random character password was a PITA to enter.
    I agree, their security methods on the site are rather challenging in how they are implemented. Limiting 2 factor to a single method that is not able to be chosen in case one doesn't have access for some reason to that one method at the time, the password having to be entered via mouse clicks vs typing or being able to have it entered from a password vault (an interesting attempt to avoid keyboard tracker), etc all seem to look to the need to meet a specific requirement on a govt contract in less than usable ways, by the lowest bid provider.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I agree, their security methods on the site are rather challenging in how they are implemented. Limiting 2 factor to a single method that is not able to be chosen in case one doesn't have access for some reason to that one method at the time, the password having to be entered via mouse clicks vs typing or being able to have it entered from a password vault (an interesting attempt to avoid keyboard tracker), etc all seem to look to the need to meet a specific requirement on a govt contract in less than usable ways, by the lowest bid provider.

You used to get a code card as well. A grid with randomized numbers and letters, and would have to enter the correct passcode from that card. IE, "What are the letters in boxes A3, C5, D1, D2" and would have to refer to your own card for the answers. I still have mine, but they don't use that authenticatin any longer.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    You used to get a code card as well. A grid with randomized numbers and letters, and would have to enter the correct passcode from that card. IE, "What are the letters in boxes A3, C5, D1, D2" and would have to refer to your own card for the answers. I still have mine, but they don't use that authenticatin any longer.
    I've seen those from another site a long time ago (like decades ago I think). Early Multi Factor Auth (something you have along with something you know, etc), I guess.

I guess that works better than how the current site does that hasn't been sending the One Time Pass codes via email the last several days, likely due to the site getting hammered. I had purposely not registered my browser with the OTP previously and had to wait for customer service on the phone for an hour earlier this week to get to a person who could help (and was happy it only took that long based on horror stories I had heard about their customer service and the estimate of wait time that I was provided when I called)

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    They are gold right now with our high inflation. Nothing "safe" (as defined with a fiat currency) can touch their rate. Both last year and this year, my wife and I bought the limit. And unless something changes, we will do so again on Jan 1, 2023 (since the limit is per calendar year.)

Oh, and the treasurydirect website does suck, but it works.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    A few things to consider.

All valid, but I think for a portion of my emergency fund it makes sense. I'm losing money with it in a bank account, but I'm treading water at least with the I bond solution and it's safe.

I have a couple of friends who have a significant portion of their emergency fund in investments(mutual funds and index funds) and if they had to tap them, they're selling at a loss.

I bonds certainly aren't a panacea, but like any tool they have a specific use.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    ibond yields took a dive today.

Seems there is still some measure of recognition that lending to an entity that spends without restraint, manipulates currency, and produces nothing save by force may not be the best storehouse.

These ******* would not pass my underwriting for lending them anything of value on their best day.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    ibond yields took a dive today.

Seems there is still some measure of recognition that lending to an entity that spends without restraint, manipulates currency, and produces nothing save by force may not be the best storehouse.

These ******* would not pass my underwriting for lending them anything of value on their best day.
    They are tied to specific inflation rate indices and those apparently dropped which dropped the overall rate. That said the fixed portion of the rate which was 0% actually went up. Rates on these change each 6 months (May and November)

And if the rates on these actually were tied to perceived or real risk, as you mention, and the outlook was as you describe that would mean the rate would have gone up rather than down. But again the rates on these are tied to specific inflation numbers.

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    They are tied to specific inflation rate indices and those apparently dropped which dropped the overall rate. That said the fixed portion of the rate which was 0% actually went up.

And if the rates on these actually were tied to perceived or real risk, as you mention, and the outlook was as you describe that would mean the rate would have gone up rather than down. But again the rates on these are tied to specific inflation numbers.
    Enjoy.

Top Bottom