• ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At my Hermitage
    Sorry for your loss DocIndy... We had to put down a beloved Siamese cat, Bob who was 9 years old for kidney failure. We found it by the excessive water drinking then blood tests. With diet we managed another 6 months or so until one day Bob was ready. He went from weighing 12 lbs down to 5. Bob is in a better place same as your Zoey. Its just hard to let go. It sucks actually. I said no more pets when Bob was put down. That was almost 2 years ago... Last summer we adopted 2 kittens that were in a neighbors shed. If we didn't, they would have been put down. What can I say. We're suckers.

It sucks but it will get better.

Take care,

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    So sorry for your loss Doc.

I have a diabetic beagle. He's as big as a barn. That's probably why he's diabetic. We didn't even know he was diabetic until out of the blue he started having cluster seizures that were horrible.

Thankfully I had been trying CBD oil for pain and I'd heard it helped with seizures so I gave it to him.

His seizures were every 30 minutes and within a few minutes of taking the CBD oil the seizures severity lessened and after a second dose, within 2 hours all seizures stopped. We now give him a few drops of 1,000mg CBD oil twice a day to help prevent seizures.

If your dog / pet has seizures for any reason their body temperature can shoot up to lethal levels. It is important to have a cooling mat or cooling scarves or towels to help them maintain their body temperature. In a bind I have used pillow cases and towels watered down, wrung, out and put in the freezer.

I also have other dogs who aren't diabetic but because of Bagel eating everything and anything he can find, the dogs are now all on a 12-hour feeding schedule to correlate with when Bagel gets his insulin.

I now feed the cats on tables or surfaces too high for Bagel to steal from.

It is essential for proper glucose management that no additional calories are consumed without being monitored. When we feed a diabetic dog we are supposed to give it insulin to prevent the blood glucose from spiking. If you give snacks without insulin it can cause BG spiking.

He's a Beagle so he's stubborn so of course sometimes we have to use food bribes. Those usually consist of uncured lunch meat or grain-free treats for aches and pains.

We track his blood glucose daily and adjust it up if necessary depending on where his blood sugar is at.

One of the ways I can tell if his sugar is up as if he drinks a lot of water and then pees for a long time.

For those who do give their animals insulin make sure you don't keep giving it in the exact same spot or they can develop a callus like area that the insulin gets stuck in instead of being distributed throughout the body.

Bagel's diabetes management has been a learning experience.

Top Bottom