• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    So does INGO grill one pink himalayan salt blocks? We did last night and could taste a very small difference in the steak. I do like how it cooked the steak though. Not sure I can describe it exactly.

Anyone else doing this? Any tips or things learned?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This is the first I've heard of it. We've got one of those Himalayan salt "chunk" lamps - basically a big crystal that's had a space hollowed out for a small lightbulb. Allegedly it's supposed to ionize the air or some such, but I just think it looks cool.

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    I can't give any tips, just our experience. We were at a very high end jewelry store in Scottsdale, AZ for an event. It was catered and they were cooking on Himalayan salt blocks. The filet mignon was very good and had a slight salt infused taste. But here is what really rocked. Shrimp on a skewer made of sugar cane. The shrimp had a sweet and salty flavor to it and it was incredible.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I can't give any tips, just our experience. We were at a very high end jewelry store in Scottsdale, AZ for an event. It was catered and they were cooking on Himalayan salt blocks. The filet mignon was very good and had a slight salt infused taste. But here is what really rocked. Shrimp on a skewer made of sugar cane. The shrimp had a sweet and salty flavor to it and it was incredible.

I'm assuming the salt blocks would replace the ceramic briquettes on a gas grill? Or is it in direct contact with the meat?

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN

Now that's good eatin. I have heard of cooking on the salt blocks but haven't had the pleasure of sampling the results. The sugar cane skewers are new to me.

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    There is a show from Tim Farmer that airs in Kentucky and also on You Tube. One of Tim's episodes is about the salt rox way of cooking. You might want to check it out. Tim is a very personable host with a great country theme. Try pasting this into a You Tube search and I'm sure you will enjoy.

[h=1]Salt Rox Himilayan Salt Block - Pork Chops[/h]

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sounds like you have to be careful of the temperature when cooking on the blocks...

https://www.salt-cellar.com/himalayan/

"Note: Cooking on Himalayan salt blocks has become very popular. While heating a Himalayan block to food searing temperatures is possible, we do not recommend this application for several reasons. First, heating a block to high temperatures stresses the block and causes cracking and eventual breakage. Second, on rare occasions a Himalayan salt block can literally explode if gas or water is trapped somewhere within the block (it’s impossible to screen for this). Lastly, once a block is heated it loses its translucence and utility for salting and serving. The Salt Cellar does not warranty Himalayan blocks against breakage for cooking applications."

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    They are fragile and you have to slowly heat them. We had ours off to the side while starting the charcoal slowly moving it over the heat. Yes you put your meat or whatever you are grilling on top of it. The paper that came with it claims you can remove the fuel for your fire and cook on the salt once it reaches temp. We did not try that.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    These were from last night's dinner. Finally got photobucket to cooperate with me:
    1411256413426_zps1vwikhtv.jpg

1411257249986_zpsx3hwfezf.jpg

I've been told I have a bad habit of cutting one open to see how done it is. eh! FWIW those pics were from my phone and the colors are a little off.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom