• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I mentioned the Android app "CCW", it allows you to enter your permits including non resident and shows the states that honor your permits in green and the ones that do not are clearly marked in red. It also lists all the state specific information you need to know to carry in any particular state. Where CCW is prohibited, must inform or not, etc. A very nice app to quickly look at a specific state to keep you out of trouble, or at least let you know when and where you are in jeopardy if you are determined to carry anyway.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    According to USA Carry;

• Illinois allows residents of other states carry a concealed firearm in their vehicle if they are can legally carry a firearm in public under the laws of their state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law.

Does this mean I can carry a gun in my car in Illinois and Chicago? I thought this was a big no. Help a white boy out here.....

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I live just a few miles from the Ohio state line so I got the Utah permit in case I forget and cross over the state line. I'd rather be safe & legal.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Are you guys that have UT and AZ really going to NM enough to make having the AZ permit worth it?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    According to USA Carry;

• Illinois allows residents of other states carry a concealed firearm in their vehicle if they are can legally carry a firearm in public under the laws of their state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law.

Does this mean I can carry a gun in my car in Illinois and Chicago? I thought this was a big no. Help a white boy out here.....

Yes you can. You may carry a loaded gun concealed on or about (they don't define about) your person while in your vehicle. If you leave your vehicle, you must leave your gun in the vehicle. If you aren't going to lock your vehicle, the gun must be in a locked container. If you lock your car, your loaded gun can remain in the car.

The language of the law would suggest that it has to be YOUR car, there's been no ruling on whether or not being a passenger in someone else's vehicle would allow you to carry.

Here's the relevant text of the statute:

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident fromtransporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in
    Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her
    HB0183 Enrolled LRB098 05760 MGM 35799 b
    Public Act 098-0063vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
    firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the
    laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended,
    he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or
    locked container within the vehicle in accordance with
    subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    I'm looking at grabbing a Florida permit to increase the number of states I can carry, which based on usacarry will add Ohio, WV, and Nebraska which are states I'm likely to drive through. Has anyone else done secondary carry permits, and if so which ones have you gotten and how painful is the process? Obviously any state you know you will spend a lot of time in would be a good one if they allow non-residents. Illinois permits coming soon...
    Moved up here from Florida, already had my CCW from there. Just remember that if you are in a state that only allows your "Secondary" permit then you have to carry as that one is allowed.. Such as Florida is a Concealed state, so if you carry with both permits but only the Florida one is allowed you must carry as that CCW allows.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Moved up here from Florida, already had my CCW from there. Just remember that if you are in a state that only allows your "Secondary" permit then you have to carry as that one is allowed.. Such as Florida is a Concealed state, so if you carry with both permits but only the Florida one is allowed you must carry as that CCW allows.

Are you saying that the carry method is dictated by the license ? If so, I must respectfully disagree. You must follow the laws of the state you are carrying in. If I am carrying in Ohio using a FL license, I follow Ohio laws, not Florida.

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    Are you saying that the carry method is dictated by the license ? If so, I must respectfully disagree. You must follow the laws of the state you are carrying in. If I am carrying in Ohio using a FL license, I follow Ohio laws, not Florida.
    Not exactly what I'm saying. Just part of it. I'm saying if I were to carry here in Indiana with a Florida license I can only do so concealed because Florida license is for Concealed carry only. Even though indy is open carry.. If I'm carrying in florida on just an indiana license then I could only carry concealed there because of thats the only way in florida even though my indy license says I can open carry. If you go to a state that you need a license to open carry then you cannot open carry with a license to carry concealed. Not all state licenses are just for carrying however you want.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Still not agreeing with you 100%.

First of all:
    thats the only way in florida even though my indy license says I can open carry.

Your Indiana license says nothing about the way you can or cannot carry with respect to open or concealed.

If you go to a state that you need a license to open carry then you cannot open carry with a license to carry concealed.

That's not at all true. You can open carry in OH with a CPL, all day, every day.

Not all state licenses are just for carrying however you want.

This I understand.

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    you either forgot the purple or are being incredibly daft. You don't need a license to open carry in Ohio. If you go to a state that honors of Florida's permit but the state has a open or concealed carry license, you cannot open carry on your concealed weapon permit from Florida. You can only concealed carry as stated on your Florida permit...

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    you either forgot the purple or are being incredibly daft. You don't need a license to open carry in Ohio. If you go to a state that honors of Florida's permit but the state has a open or concealed carry license, you cannot open carry on your concealed weapon permit from Florida. You can only concealed carry as stated on your Florida permit...

Daft ? No need to stoop to personal insults. Let's just agree that we disagree on our interpretation of the various state laws and leave it at that.

Hopefully, neither one of us will have occasion to find out we misinterpreted the law.

Carry on, and Happy New Year.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    OK, let's clarify this a bit, with appropriate disclaimers: IANAL, IDPOOTV, IDSAAHIELN.
    Note that "permission slip" refers to a license, permit, or other official document issued to exempt the holder from laws unConstitutionally forbidding the carry of arms on or about his person.

Indiana law states that one may carry here on a permission slip issued by any government, "according to the terms thereof".
    Indiana law also requires a permission slip to carry lawfully, whether open, concealed, or duct-taped to your forehead.
    Thus, to carry in Indiana, if your permission slip is a "concealed" anything (CPL, CCW, etc.), this has been taken to mean that you must conceal. (I don't know of any case law to that point, but I'm not denying that any exists.)
    Conversely, in states such as OH, KY, etc., where no permission slip is required by law to OC, but only to conceal, if you have a recognized permission slip, you can carry either way. If you do not, you may only carry openly there, according to their laws.
    Our IN LTCH is recognized in 30 states. There is, however, no way under present law that I would try to OC in Texas solely on the basis of my IN LTCH not specifying concealment. I've never seen the inside of a Texas jail and I don't want to start now.

I hope that helps!

Blessings,
    Bill

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Yep. South Carolina is one such state. Those pricks only honor licenses from residents of neighboring states

Damn, South Carolina blows. Looks like we are spring breaking in Myrtle Beach this year. I found their CCW rules particularly disappointing. Looks to me like they do permit loaded handguns in vehicles as long as they're in glove compartment, console or trunk.:rolleyes:

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy

Your resident FL permit is not valid for carry in IN, if you are now a resident of IN.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Just want to say that, as discussed in another recent thread (https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...9-arizona-florida-utah-out-state-permits.html), Arizona is now a legitimate permit to obtain in order to carry in Ohio since they updated their reciprocity agreement to accept any AZ permit, whether the person is a resident of AZ or by removing language specifying AZ residents only (https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov...s/74/74b64a18-6c93-4f0d-a53e-3a8485ca5466.pdf). This is a cheaper option than FL, and has an easier training requirement than UT since you can use any 8 hour class taught by an NRA instructor or a class approved by AZ. With the AZ permit you get basically the same states as FL and UT. AZ gets you DE, NE, NM, OH, and WV.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Are you guys that have UT and AZ really going to NM enough to make having the AZ permit worth it?

At the time that I got my AZ non-res, NV honored the AZ permit. Also, I picked up either KS or NE (can't remember which one. One of them did not honor UT at that time.) Unfortunately, NV has changed their mind and no longer honors AZ. So yes, I would still keep the permit on the off chance that someday I might get to MN or if the AZ permit picks up another state in the future. :)

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom