• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So, I've got my trust setup and I'm researching hardware. Other than some youtube vids about a single manufacturer's line or review of a single model, there doesn't seem to be a lot of comparison. MAC had the Griffin Armament on a .300 blackout in his "Everything about surpressors" video, and I've seen a couple SilencerCo reviews. I also just stumbled across the Surefire SoCom. The SoCom states it is the quietest .300 but is also very effective on 5.56mm. That really intrigued me. .300 is the objective, but if I could just buy another adapter and throw it on my existing 5.56mm carbine, the value just increased.

What say you? Anyone have an educated opinion? The Griffin is about $800 and the SoCom is $1100. Not sure about the SilencerCo. Still at the beginning of that research.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Having the Huntertown Arms Kestrel .308, I can honestly say I wish I had heard it next to other cans before buying. It's not awful, but it's definitely not the best either. The Surefire Socom looks awesome, but I'm unsure how much of it is hype.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    It's not on an AR platform but this video does a nice .300BLK suppressor comparison.

Granted, you're not in person, but it does a fair job of demonstrating the sound reduction.

[video=youtube;GmarHvk1SV0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmarHvk1SV0[/video]

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It's not on an AR platform but this video does a nice .300BLK suppressor comparison.

Granted, you're not in person, but it does a fair job of demonstrating the sound reduction.

[video=youtube;GmarHvk1SV0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmarHvk1SV0[/video]
    Pretty good video. The YHM seemed to be the quietest in that test, and funny enough the Surefire was by far the loudest. I'm almost afraid to see what a YHM titanium suppressor would cost!

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So I've decided to go with the Griffin Optimus. Mostly because it will work with everything I've got except for the .45. Griffin says they're on Form 3 and should be shipping by Jan 7th. So, now I'm looking into what changes I need to make. Threaded barrel for the 9mm from SilencerCo is on the list, and I'll wait until the suppressor comes in before I make a list of adapters, etc. One thing I've been reading about is the gas system modifications. I've seen mention of charging handles with gas deflectors and adjustable gas blocks. As a lefty shooter, the AR gas discharge is now the main concern.

Second thing I'm researching are for reload recipies. I've seen most say 9mm is generally sub-sonic anyway, but loading .223 sub-sonic makes me worry about squibs. Anyone rolling their own .223 subsonic?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've not shot 300blk through a bunch of stuff but I've shot through about 3 or 4 different cans and I ended up buying a Silencer Co Omega. I liked the mounting system on some others more but it was much lighter than all of the others and still just as quiet if not more quiet than the others I shot. I think the other ones I shot through were the Silencer Co Saker, and Octane as well as the 30cal AAC can. I personally haven't shot a griffin, but I think if I were to buy another can it'd be a Dead Air. I just bought their 22 can and I'm a big fan!

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I tend to compare all suppressors to my Ciener on my .308 Ruger 77. It is the best suppressor I have heard in person, marginally better than my JD Jones can on my Whisper. When you listen to the voice noise as well as the sound of the brass hitting the bench you realize how quiet the Ciener is. This was shot under a roofed bench with my sub-sonic 220 SMK loads.

[video=youtube;_LF4QpZMeVU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LF4QpZMeVU[/video]

I am running a Huntertown Arms integrally suppressed barrel on a 10/22 and it is one of the quietest I have heard on a semi-auto 22 without going to a larger than .920" tube.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Pretty good video. The YHM seemed to be the quietest in that test, and funny enough the Surefire was by far the loudest. I'm almost afraid to see what a YHM titanium suppressor would cost!

I have a YHM .30 cal QD titanium and a SilencerCo Saker 7.62. The Saker is marginally quieter with the .30 cal end cap and noticibly quieter with the 5.56 endcap. YHM is known for their budget suppressors. Silencer Shop sells the Saker 7.62 for $962 and the YHM .30 qd titanium for $880.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I have the Recce7 and have shot in on my mk-47 (7.62x39) very hearing safe. Mac has a very good video in which him and Dave take about 20 or so suppressers out in the field and shoot them all from the same gun and all back to back so you can really judge the sound, really worth the watch. He offers a 30 cal and 5.56. This is the 30 cal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL2Q2DIX76o

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    So I've decided to go with the Griffin Optimus. Mostly because it will work with everything I've got except for the .45. Griffin says they're on Form 3 and should be shipping by Jan 7th. So, now I'm looking into what changes I need to make. Threaded barrel for the 9mm from SilencerCo is on the list, and I'll wait until the suppressor comes in before I make a list of adapters, etc. One thing I've been reading about is the gas system modifications. I've seen mention of charging handles with gas deflectors and adjustable gas blocks. As a lefty shooter, the AR gas discharge is now the main concern.

Second thing I'm researching are for reload recipies. I've seen most say 9mm is generally sub-sonic anyway, but loading .223 sub-sonic makes me worry about squibs. Anyone rolling their own .223 subsonic?

Don't even bother trying to mess with .223 sub-sonic, not worth the effort.
    Most 147gr 9mm ammo out of barrels shorter than 5" will be subsonic, added barrel length and lighter bullets will give you a sonic crack.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I have the Recce7 and have shot in on my mk-47 (7.62x39) very hearing safe. Mac has a very good video in which him and Dave take about 20 or so suppressers out in the field and shoot them all from the same gun and all back to back so you can really judge the sound, really worth the watch. He offers a 30 cal and 5.56. This is the 30 cal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL2Q2DIX76o

If the bullet is supersonic, it's not hearing safe (no matter how pleasant one may think it sounds).

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Just got another update. The update states that the ATF has "cashed the check". I had The Silencer Shop submit everything on my behalf. So, what does this mean exactly? Do they cash it to start processing it, or do they cash it once they approve it?

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just got another update. The update states that the ATF has "cashed the check". I had The Silencer Shop submit everything on my behalf. So, what does this mean exactly? Do they cash it to start processing it, or do they cash it once they approve it?

It means that they will do everything. I assume you picked a shop from their list of shops that they have deals with?

So they will file the Form 3, which is the transfer from them to your local shop. Once that is approved, they will ship the suppressor to your local shop (you'll get a tracking number) and then immediately file the Form 4 (transfer from local shop to you) on the shop's behalf. Having them do everything for that extra cost also covers your tax stamp and your local dealer's transfer fee. So just sit back and relax. Eventually, you'll get a phone call from your local shop saying to come pick up your can. Silencershop will send you emails at the different stages to keep you informed.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I asked them what "cashed the check" meant and they simply replied that the ATF has accepted the application for processing.

They may take 6 months to lick a stamp and stick it on your paper, but the ATF does not mess around when it comes to cashing the check!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom