Anyone ever appeal their property tax assessment and win?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yup...in a short sentence IN republicans in charge suck, and suck bad. Older people on fixed incomes see their taxes skyrocket, but their retirement $$$ isn't going up. They don't care....just give us your $$$$ .
    I will say that often retirees who collect social security actually do get raises indexed more to inflation than many of us. Not saying property tax increases are right under the current situation, just that retiree "fixed income" where working folks are considered to apparently have flexible income can be a fallacy.

Middle income folks who are middle aged are often hit the hardest, compared to some retirees.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    We just received our new property tax assessment and let's just say, No ****ing way. The 2021 assessment was about what the asking price for the house when we bought it in September. We paid about 7% over asking price. The new assistant is a full 35% higher than the 2021 assessment. :xmad:

There is a service locally that will fight this for us. It's under $200. But has anyone ever done this themselves and been successful? How hard is it? What needs to be done? I have no clue about this but if it's just a few forms and explanation, I'd attempt it myself.

IMG_0905.JPG

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Do you feel that the next round of tax bills will not increase because of the larger assessments? That would be great, but I don't see how they could not go up.

Help me to understand, please.
    My guess is they will rise. Everything is. That said, the process is that the governmental entity creates a budget and it is divided by the assessments of all properties. Those budgets have not been created.

That said we at INGO, including yours truly often bandy about the 1% (2% for your rentals) taxes but it does not take into account that is a limit, they can be less…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Agree, except it appears its not easy for the current party in control to turn that $$$$ away from themselves. Pretty bad when the 2 main parties love taxes and robbery. My brother and his wife are retired and their house and small property jumped $30k this year alone. I'm fighting a losing battle with mine going up last year by $17k and this year Wabash (R) assessor tacking on another $11k......My county population for the last 40 years straight has declined every single year.....no one coming here and everyone getting out so how they figure our property nobody wants to buy is worth more? Word is some rich folks have been pushing this to get their property value up, then sell out. However its happening all over the state.
    So if they are wrong go appeal it. I doubt you can find recent sales that support your position.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My guess is they will rise. Everything is. That said, the process is that the governmental entity creates a budget and it is divided by the assessments of all properties. Those budgets have not been created.

That said we at INGO, including yours truly often bandy about the 1% (2% for your rentals) taxes but it does not take into account that is a limit, they can be less…
    When they talked of putting the limits on property tax hikes they did so by implementing a higher sales tax, if memory serves.

The biggest problem was that they had the sales tax hike a year before the property tax cap. So we all had an extra year of saying thank you while while we paid higher on both taxes.

I would have to check but I doubt I have not seen the max hike often, if at all.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Do you feel that the next round of tax bills will not increase because of the larger assessments? That would be great, but I don't see how they could not go up.

Help me to understand, please.
    Assessments going up do not necessarily mean tax “bills” will go up however that will not be known until 2023...’22 pay ‘23. To simplify - Next year after budget is approved for taxing entity ( will use county but not discuss city, special assessments, etc. ) total dollars needed for county is determined. Then your portion of the county $$ needed has your township, school system, etc. needed $$ added on. This total is the amount of taxes needed to be collected to pay the bills. Basically the total $$ needed for the taxing entity budget are divided by the total $$ of assessments in the entity. The resulting number is your gross tax rate which for residential property is capped at 1%. If rate comes in below 1%, that is your rate. If over 1% your rate is 1% max. Your tax rate multiplied by your assessment equals your tax bill ( again this is simplified, not addressing homestead, mortgage exemptions, etc. or that rate is actually per $100 assessment vs. gross assessment ). If total assessment $$ go up more than budget $$ needed, your rate and thus total tax bill will go down. If they are equal your rate and bill will remain the same. If needEd $$ go up more than assessment $$ then rates and thus tax bill goes up, again capped at 1% for residential.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Assessments going up do not necessarily mean tax “bills” will go up however that will not be known until 2023...’22 pay ‘23. To simplify - Next year after budget is approved for taxing entity ( will use county but not discuss city, special assessments, etc. ) total dollars needed for county is determined. Then your portion of the county $$ needed has your township, school system, etc. needed $$ added on. This total is the amount of taxes needed to be collected to pay the bills. Basically the total $$ needed for the taxing entity budget are divided by the total $$ of assessments in the entity. The resulting number is your gross tax rate which for residential property is capped at 1%. If rate comes in below 1%, that is your rate. If over 1% your rate is 1% max. Your tax rate multiplied by your assessment equals your tax bill ( again this is simplified, not addressing homestead, mortgage exemptions, etc. or that rate is actually per $100 assessment vs. gross assessment ). If total assessment $$ go up more than budget $$ needed, your rate and thus total tax bill will go down. If they are equal your rate and bill will remain the same. If needEd $$ go up more than assessment $$ then rates and thus tax bill goes up, again capped at 1% for residential.
    Thanks for the reply. Pretty much as I figured it.

But I still do not see the tax bills not going up. Everything is more expensive so everyone needs more money to cover the higher demand.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    When they talked of putting the limits on property tax hikes they did so by implementing a higher sales tax, if memory serves.

The biggest problem was that they had the sales tax hike a year before the property tax cap. So we all had an extra year of saying thank you while while we paid higher on both taxes.

I would have to check but I doubt I have not seen the max hike often, if at all.
    Dont remember timing on sales tax hike. Caps were put in a few years after inventory tax was eliminated. Previously businesses, farms, etc. paid property taxes on any inventory/products/machinery, etc. That is why you saw a lot of product “moved” ( hidden) just prior to 3/1 every year. Was total bs and unfair tax. Finally eliminated so those assessments $$ disappeared. Less total assessments so rates went up on remaining assessments Thus residential tax bills went up. They cried and screamedSo politicians came up with caps to reduce residential rates and shifted those tax $$ needed back onto ag, landlords, and businesses…unfair once again. Rental and ag were set at 2%. Commercial at 3%. As there are more voters that own residential property than there are farmers , landlords, and business/commercial, the politicians did it this way to buy votes…in my humble opinion.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Dont remember timing on sales tax hike. Caps were put in a few years after inventory tax was eliminated. Previously businesses, farms, etc. paid property taxes on any inventory/products/machinery, etc. That is why you saw a lot of product “moved” ( hidden) just prior to 3/1 every year. Was total bs and unfair tax. Finally eliminated so those assessments $$ disappeared. Less total assessments so rates went up on remaining assessments Thus residential tax bills went up. They cried and screamedSo politicians came up with caps to reduce residential rates and shifted those tax $$ needed back onto ag, landlords, and businesses…unfair once again. Rental and ag were set at 2%. Commercial at 3%. As there are more voters that own residential property than there are farmers , landlords, and business/commercial, the politicians did it this way to buy votes…in my humble opinion.
    You have been dead on with my understanding until some of this. Memory is fuzzy now but my recollection was the state Supreme Court issued a ruling the the property tax scheme was unconstitutional because of disparate treatment and set up a showdown with the legislature that had to reform the property tax system. The inventory tax, sales tax, and others were all in the same reform.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Update.

I ended up using the local company to do the work for me. In the end, I'll still come out way ahead, even paying their fee.

I just didn't have the time over the past weeks to do this myself. Life has been extremely busy. The appeal is filed and looking at it, seems to be a no brainer.

I'll post an update when I have more news.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Talked to the assessor's office today about my house. I looked everything up before I called them back and saw the error of my ways. I turned the dump into a nicer place. Thought they hit me last year as well, but turns out this was the first big bump.

I dropped the complaint but warned the nice lady on the phone that she would be getting a huge envelope with complaints about the rentals.

Sucks hard that people sell places for big bucks but when I decide to hold mine I get hit with the difference.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Sucks hard that people sell places for big bucks but when I decide to hold mine I get hit with the difference.
    With the caveat that I am philosophically opposed to property tax, if there is one, what basis should they use to tax property on other than market value? Our old system was ruled unequal treatment, particularly from county to county, based on our state constitution. Our overall tax burden ranks number 14, lower than 36 states.

1655267038984.png

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    With the caveat that I am philosophically opposed to property tax, if there is one, what basis should they use to tax property on other than market value? Our old system was ruled unequal treatment, particularly from county to county, based on our state constitution. Our overall tax burden ranks number 14, lower than 36 states.
    I understand they have to get the numbers from somewhere. In a market like we have just had it hurts the people that hold. Just my opinion of course.

Sold my primary residence right at the beginning of all this hoopla. I sold it because I was finally done with the new place. I made money on it but not mad money like people were doing just a short while back.

We have the 1% cap on PR's and 2% cap on rentals that aren't commercial. That would be fine except when the values of the homes are so high that you end up paying more than the cap because of it.

How to fix it? I don't know. Maybe look into the flat tax option?

Even if I sold some of my rentals and reaped a heavy reward I would still not be happy with the higher property taxes throughout. Everything is on such a tightrope. Another problem I see in this county are the two good sized religious colleges. They buy up or get donated properties that come off the tax rolls. The county has to make that money up from somewhere.

I guess I am just whining.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Another problem I see in this county are the two good sized religious colleges. They buy up or get donated properties that come off the tax rolls. The county has to make that money up from somewhere.
    This is an issue in center township in indy. I have read that 1/3 of the township is nonprofit/government that pay no taxes…

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    Update.

I ended up using the local company to do the work for me. In the end, I'll still come out way ahead, even paying their fee.

I just didn't have the time over the past weeks to do this myself. Life has been extremely busy. The appeal is filed and looking at it, seems to be a no brainer.

I'll post an update when I have more news.
    I am in the process of an appeal right now, min went up 59% after I complained about a 10% increase last year, curious on the company you used would love some advice. I did meet with the assessor (and the company "Nexus" rep that does the actual assessments) they would not change anything yet also admitted they never actually physically assessed my property.

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana

I think like you property tax is inherently communistic or worse ,however using the actual cost to build or the last selling price protects the home owner from being priced out of his dwelling he paid for for 30 years, they can get their pound of flesh the next time it sells...... just an alternative that seems more fair. If we have to do with less money then they should budget for the same.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Uniquenateo
    Top Bottom