Anyone else sick of 3 dollar + gasoline ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I can remember when gasoline went to $1.00 a gallon if memory serves right when Nixon was in office. ( Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong) everyone freaked out then. If my memory is correct the Alaska pipe line was built right after that or at least during the big gas increase. What happened???
    To answer your question yes I am sick of it and I am sick of our Govt allowing it to happen. :twocents:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    PS beat me to it. This is what we've got to look forward to. In a couple of years folks will be all "You remember when gas was just $3 a gallon?". OPEC control the price and the spigot and they're going to be shooting for $100/bbl. He who has the gold makes the rules. The only real profiteers (for those stuck in "It's greed" mode) are OPEC and the governments.
    Actually they are predicting $120/bbl next year.

And while I agree that OPEC and the .gov are making a killing off oil prices...keep in mind that oil companies are also posting huge profits quarterly. They are not in business to lose money.

And while it's a free market and they can charge whatever they like because I'm free to take my business to the lowest competitor...let's not make them look innocent. BP is going to pay for all this clean-up somehow. They sure as hell aren't going to do it out of the kindness of their heart.

Granted...I can save a couple of bucks here or there by going to the lowest supplier...they still pretty much have me by the...

images

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I can remember when gasoline went to $1.00 a gallon if memory serves right when Nixon was in office. ( Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong) everyone freaked out then. If my memory is correct the Alaska pipe line was built right after that or at least during the big gas increase. What happened???
    To answer your question yes I am sick of it and I am sick of our Govt allowing it to happen. :twocents:

It very well have been to $1 back then, but I remember just before I started driving (late 90s) it was around $0.95-$0.99 and when it broke $1 people were *****ing. Oh those were the days...

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    And people will complain about gas prices regardless of what the price is. People are conditioned to do it just like people are conditioned to be scared of mice, spiders, snakes, etc.

It seems those who complain the loudest about spending $3 for a gallon of gas are the same ones who will go into a station and think nothing of spending $1.50 for a liter of water. That's almost $6 a gallon for something I can pump out of my faucet at home for a penny.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    And at this time, the bammer is helping Hugo Chavez and other to develop their reserves while prohibiting us from doing the same. What is going on around here? Don't any of you remember that just a few years ago when gas prices were soaring, all of our elected officials were going to get to the bottom of it and do something so that it did not happen again? What did they do? Absolutely nothing to help the sitiuation is what. We were so releived when the prices dropped to around $2.50/gal that we were all happy once again. Our leaders hope that we all have very short memories and will not hold them accountable for allowing gas prices to soar once again. Wasn't anyone listening when the bammer said that gas should go to 7 or 8 dollars per gallon to make us all change our driving habits? As long as we are controlled by the environmentalists and those with special interests that we do not develop our own vast resources, we will be at the mercy of the mid-east and guys like Hugo Chaves. I, for one, do not particularly like to be in this type of situation.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I've posted this before,and dont know it to be completely true,but Supposably we have a couple of huge wells in Pruduoe Bay,that we have never pumped a barrel of oil out of,because of an agreement we signed with the opec nations. If oil was traded on the dollar standard,we wouldnt pump the oil. Ive read this in a couple places in the last couple years.
    Sounds about screwed up enough to be true. Iraq,and Iran wouldnt sign the agreement,Funny how their the ones we are always fighting with.
    One source is the book The NonEnergy Crisis.
    Anyone else ever read or heard this?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    And people will complain about gas prices regardless of what the price is. People are conditioned to do it just like people are conditioned to be scared of mice, spiders, snakes, etc.

It seems those who complain the loudest about spending $3 for a gallon of gas are the same ones who will go into a station and think nothing of spending $1.50 for a liter of water. That's almost $6 a gallon for something I can pump out of my faucet at home for a penny.

QFT.

Gasoline is a little more expensive now than it was in the 80s, but not by a lot. If you paid $1.30 a gallon in 1988 that gallon would cost you $2.33 in 2009 adjusted for inflation. Since we were paying about $2.50-60 give or take through much of 2009, it's not outrageous.

The Inflation Calculator

The cheapest I ever paid for gasoline was during the collapse of the Japanese economy in 1993, I paid $.69 a gallon at a station in Missouri that was having a price war with another station. Typical prices that summer were about $.85 a gallon. At $.85 a gallon in 1993 it would be $1.25 now. For about a two year period we had very cheap gas prices and it took a decade for prices to start climbing back to typical inflation adjusted prices which meant every yahoo out there bought trucks and SUVs to drive to the mall which meant that trucks and SUVs became wimpy and expensive, so those of us who actually need them were priced out of the market and had a harder time getting vehicles we could actually abuse.

Oh, $.79 a gallon in 1973 is $3.77 in 2009. Fuel economy for the cheaper car out there, the VW Beetle was 25mpg. It cost about $1900 for the base model which would be over $9000 today. A similar cost vehicle today such as the Aveo costs about $11k, gets 34mpg, can go 100k miles with little more than oil changes, can last about 300k miles if taken care of, tires last 60k miles, and is a hell of a lot safer. That Beetle needed a tuneup every 10k miles or so, tires lasted about 20k miles, the entire vehicle was pretty much done by 100k miles, and if you got into a crash at more than 30mph you were dead.

Oh, and if gas hadn't been dirt cheap for a decade, and the EPA hadn't screwed us over we would have econoboxes getting 50-60mpg. The technology is there at no extra cost.

Yeah, prices are going to hell in a handbasket and we're all going to go bankrupt paying these outrageous prices for everything. :rolleyes:

Blah blah blah, high prices, blah blah blah. It's easy to complain, but what are you actually doing about it?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have great memories of driving into town Friday evenings and filling up with Sunoco 260 at .55 per gallon. Real gas for real cars.:)

It is great to see how far technology has advanced though, you can get a Camaro with a V6 that gets 300 HP but still good milage.:D

Cloverdaleman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Cloverdale,Indiana
    After driving by the local Shell station I saw gas was at 3.19 a gallon. I am just wondering what the media is blaming the prices for this time. Anyone know ??

Where have you been " It's Bush's fault". Eveyrone knows that. Obama has only been in office for two years he can't straighten out everything in two years. In case you didn't figure it out this is in sarcasm.

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    Get use to it people. I strongly believe that inflation and gas prices are going to hit a all time high in 2011. We half to suck up the two trillion dollars that didn't work somehow.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I do not care what the price per gallon of gas is. I wish that it would stay lower than it is currently. My point was that we have done less than nothing the last few years to make us less dependent upon middle east oil when we have huge reserves that could be tapped. Our country is very vulnerable. The hurricanes that hit Texas a few years ago and shut down the refineries for several days should have been an eye opener for all to see just how vulnerable we are. There are vast oil deposits much more accessible than in the deep water that was just had one well finally plugged and the others shut down. Supposedly, we have more reserves than in all of the mid-east combined and do have the technology to refine the various types. I, for one, would be willing to keep paying $3 or more per gallon if we had a safer oil supply. I would think that the source of our current problems is Washington D.C. with the commie that we have for president, the corrupt elected officials and the lobbyists and special interests that corrupt our elected officials. We will all be really screwed if the Sunnis and Shiites go to war with each other and the middle east oil supply gets interrupted. Iran, Iraq and Yemem are all aligning to attach the Saudis.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    $5 per gallon will be bad, but it wont be the worst of it. Everything is going to jump in price.

Milk, eggs, donuts, BACON!!!, everything.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    One reason, I'm glad I get good fuel economy. Well, that and the farthest I drive is to school. Plus, my parents only live five minutes from me. My Jeep is a 2006 and I have just over 32,000 miles on it now. When I left Hawaii in 2005, regular was at $4 a gallon. I can not imagine what it is now. I totally agree with alternative fuel sources, or cars driven by electricity. We have the technology now. However, the oil tycoons have just as much power as the politicians. Until the Government finally tells them to take a hike. I do not think we are going to see a change. Or we could just Nuke the Middle East, and take it for ourselves. :dunno:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I totally agree with alternative fuel sources, or cars driven by electricity. We have the technology now.

The market will dictate when these things happen. Subsidizing them into existence is not the answer. I see the push for electric cars but nobody talks about what emissions are created from producing the electricity for cars. Is burning coal to produce the electricity better than burning gas?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The market will dictate when these things happen. Subsidizing them into existence is not the answer. I see the push for electric cars but nobody talks about what emissions are created from producing the electricity for cars. Is burning coal to produce the electricity better than burning gas?

Potentially, if the issue of scale is involved. You did bring up an interesting point. I personally believe that the increase in electricity prices will make people look into putting solar cells in their backyards and such if electric vehicles are accepted more widespread. But then rare metals and foils will jump up in price, making electronics more expensive. So folks will turn to Chinese made electronics due to their less expensive nature and higher rare earth reserves. Everything is eventual... :D

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Been paying that for a couple of years where I boat, and I drive a company truck so i haven't gassed my P/U in close to a month, so it hasn't set in yet. That will probably happen in the spring when I have to do my 1st fill-up, ( 300 gallons)

Miner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    SW Indiana
    After the EPA has their say, It will cost you more to charge your car than for a gallon of gas. Check out the new emmision standards our administration has forced on our energy sector.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Family up in Canada reported $3.50 (CDN) per liter this week. That's, what, over $6 per gallon?

Its only going to go higher: Peak oil (just a matter of when), higher consumption in developing nations, inflation, a weaker dollar globally, and many oil-producing countries don't exactly like us.

We could have cheaper fuels (including gasoline) here if we wanted. Right now, folks are OK with paying the current price (no drop in demand), so that's what it will sell for.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Family up in Canada reported $3.50 (CDN) per liter this week. That's, what, over $6 per gallon?

Its only going to go higher: Peak oil (just a matter of when), higher consumption in developing nations, inflation, a weaker dollar globally, and many oil-producing countries don't exactly like us.

We could have cheaper fuels (including gasoline) here if we wanted. Right now, folks are OK with paying the current price (no drop in demand), so that's what it will sell for.

One US gallon is just under 3.9 litres. Your friend is paying in round numbers about $13 per gallon US. That is more than it is in Europe, which has high fuel costs because it is highly taxed. In Indiana, there is a flat tax of about 18 cents, fed tax about 18 cents plus the state charges sales tax on top of it so here in the US, taxes are not at the root of the price of gasoline. But that price in Canada, WOW!!!!

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    $5 per gallon will be bad, but it wont be the worst of it. Everything is going to jump in price.

Milk, eggs, donuts, BACON!!!, everything.

Just got back from walmart.Bacon was almost 6 dollars a pound and peanut butter was 8.89 for a twin pack. Peanut butter was 6.00 and some change . Not long ago J-Cay had bacon for 2.50 a lb. It getting rediculous.

Top Bottom