• ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Whew. :)

So let me ask you "You can never have too many guns" guys, do you find your skills degrade as you shoot guns other than your main carry gun / competition gun?

In other words, bringing a different set of guns to the range every time you go, do you think you would find yourself more adept at using them if you brought the same guns every time?

Or is skill / familiarity with a particular type of gun just not a major thing for you?

I know that I have found, if I shoot my carry or competition 1911 at the range every week, I am CONSIDERABLY better than if I take a break for a while, and shoot a poly gun or a revolver.

For me its a no brainer, I cant keep my skill up with my limited training time on more than 1 gun type.

It gets to the point you can almost run the gun without thinking if you shoot it enough.

Thats what I was getting at with the OP.

I would be interested in hearing your experiances.

I don't think I've had a range trip that didn't include my Glock 27. That is the current choice for carry. Unfortunately with my school schedule and drive time to ranges, I haven't really been able to shoot a lot during cold weather months. I've got a rotation of long guns that I'll take to the range and I've always got a few different handguns that I'll put a box or 2 through. I prefer having the ability to have a variety depending on my mood when I'm heading out to the range. While shooting handguns, the carry gun will get the most attention (in the past that has been a S&W 686 4").

I'll still keep adding to my collection and giving the most attention to the carry gun but I'll also keep taking different handguns and long guns to have some fun. Now I just need to get through my last few classes and get a decent paying job so I can buy a place with a decent amount of land. Then the range trips will be just heading out back instead of packing up, driving 30 minutes, unloading, shooting, loading everything, driving again, and then finally unpacking and cleaning.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, I always take my P12, but I like to have familiarity with the order of arms of anything I'm liable to pick up in whatever situation, so I have a variety of things, particularly common military types.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Worse yet

I agree there's no such thing as too many guns but I am currently infected with a related problem. As soon as my latest .17 Fireball comes back from Indygunworks, I will have three that I've never fired. It would be four but we're shooting the new SR1911 tomorrow. The other 3 are rifles and need to be shot at 200 yards or more. The only good news is a trip to Crosley will cure all the ailments.

Too many guns! Piffle! :dunno:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

So let me ask you "You can never have too many guns" guys, do you find your skills degrade as you shoot guns other than your main carry gun / competition gun?

Or is skill / familiarity with a particular type of gun just not a major thing for you?

You raise a valid point, if close in defense were the only consideration.
    I shoot different guns, because I ENJOY shooting guns.
    I ALWAYS dust of the EDC when shooting, no matter what else I shoot, to keep some proficiency.
    Some people are worried about SHTF. A pistol may not be enough gun. A rifle that works in CQB may not be so great at distances.

Mainly though, I LIKE TO SHOOT GUNS.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

In other words, bringing a different set of guns to the range every time you go, do you think you would find yourself more adept at using them if you brought the same guns every time?

I know that I have found, if I shoot my carry or competition 1911 at the range every week, I am CONSIDERABLY better than if I take a break for a while, and shoot a poly gun or a revolver.

For me its a no brainer, I cant keep my skill up with my limited training time on more than 1 gun type.

It gets to the point you can almost run the gun without thinking if you shoot it enough.

Your premise is sound. But I like to shoot different guns. My carry gun changes sometimes, due to weather or just me being fickle. I usually go to the range once or twice a week. I always shoot whatever my carry gun happens to be at the time. If I am thinking about changing carry guns, I make sure the candidates get plenty of time. I think there is value in versatility. You should be proficient with your carry gun but I often have a carry gun, a truck gun and something different in the house. Being proficient across a limited spectrum has its value.

Top Bottom