• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andrew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Where the fur traders sang
    I am interested in raising meat rabbits. I will be a big investment building the hutches and getting everything set up.

The problem is that I have never tried rabbit. I would like to, before I start spending money on supplies. I was hoping that someone in my area who raises meat rabbits would let try rabbit. Also, if it isn't too much to ask for, I would like to be the one to butcher it and process it, for learning experience.

I am in the Northern Indianapolis/Carmel area. I wouldn't mind traveling some, just not too far

Is anybody in the area who would be willing to help me? Please PM me if so.

Thanks!

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Shoot them every winter. When you clean them don't forget to look for stray shot - it is bad on fillings. Use them in any recipe for chicken.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Not next door but I know a guy that raises them in Grant County. He would be more than happy to show you how to butcher one. He could sell you a few for a start up and maybe get you a hutch.

Big difference between eating something and actually killing then butchering it. Good decision to make sure you are up for it before the big spend.

If I had room I would have some. They multiply like... well, rabbits.

Best of luck. Let me know via PM if you want a meet.

barryG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Carmel, IN
    Go to the grocery store and ask the butcher to order some. Should be there the next day. Back in California, every grocery store carries rabbit. Not so much here in Indiana.

Barry

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    There is a meat market in Carmel that carries rabbit. A friend of mine sent a picture telling me I had competition. I do not have any currently ready to butcher, but if you do decide to start raising them give New Zealands serious consideration. Raising them is a hobby in itself so make sure you have the time to spare.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    For meat rabbits, you don't even need a hutch. Let them run loose in a mini-barn, or some other type of shelter. Keep them fed, watered, and clean it out once in a while, make sure there is access to some straw. Then watch them breed like "rabbits". You will soon have more than you can shake a stick at. They breed even faster if you have a fenced area that they can run in, and get fresh grass and veggies to chew on. I haven't done it this way, but a friend of mine in high school had hundreds of meat rabbits, and this is how he did it.

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    Agree with Mike. This is easy to do and they will replicate like crazy. I do not speak from first hand experience but I know someone that does this.

Top Bottom