Any way to locate plastic underground water lines?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Nothing in this spot but the water lines. I've had the underground utility guys out to mark a couple of times and there is nothing on my property other than what's buried along the road. Once I'm 20' off the roadway I'm wide open other than these water lines and the septic.
    Generally you can find where the water line leaves the home or well house and usually in a reasonably strait line if done with a chain trencher to the next water fixture.
    If we had known or unknows of their path through the property, we would hand dig until we found it, and that's where we would cross those lines.
    A 4" or 5" trenching shovel is a handy tool to keep around.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Nothing in this spot but the water lines. I've had the underground utility guys out to mark a couple of times and there is nothing on my property other than what's buried along the road. Once I'm 20' off the roadway I'm wide open other than these water lines and the septic.
    Famous last words of construction foreman everywhere. :lmfao:

Called holey moley two times to survey a site, nope nothing here, first thing we did was hit a 26 inch main water feed to a hospital. Shut down the water to the hospital and 2 city blocks of residential housing. :ugh:

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Generally you can find where the water line leaves the home or well house and usually in a reasonably strait line if done with a chain trencher to the next water fixture.
    If we had known or unknows of their path through the property, we would hand dig until we found it, and that's where we would cross those lines.
    A 4" or 5" trenching shovel is a handy tool to keep around.
    Two or three hours of labor pay are some well spent insurance dollars. Much cheaper than being mistaken.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Called holey moley two times to survey a site, nope nothing here, first thing we did was hit a 26 inch main water feed to a hospital. Shut down the water to the hospital and 2 city blocks of residential housing. :ugh:
    Yep, my sister and bil will not dig, trench or pull pipe on a property without a valid utility ticket.
    I want to say there insurance is null and void without a valid ticket.

We were irrigating a shopping center when a excavator operator cut a fiber bundle that fed Pax River Navel Air Station and all of contractor row that services Pax. We heard it was millions.
    In the years I ran crews for them, ever heard and vice gripped off a whistling high pressure NG line? It will make you pucker...
    I'm not going to say how many NG lines we cut or pulled out, or the 1,000's of feet of cable tv trunk and drop lines we cut and or pulled out.

All of there trucks carry locating equipment in them.
    The fun of digging in the dirt.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I bury a plastic water line, I drop a real copper Penny about every foot along the line - it is cheaper than copper wire, and gives a stronger signal to the metal detector
    I pour my empty 22 brass along the line or throw old pipe or wire in the hole before I fill it all the way up.

If I'm digging I'll know I'm close to some thing and the first thing like that I hit, I KNOW I'm REALLY close. I can find those really easy with the metal detector to.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Should be able to witch it. I'm no good at it, but a good friend of mine who does excavating is excellent at it. Ask a farmer or excavator in the area, I'm sure they can or know someone that can.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Didn't have time to try it before they got here this morning but no water lines were struck thankfully. I may try it down the road just out of curiosity, appreciate the suggestions.

The Amish crew hired a guy with a skid steer to dig the holes. He started a little after 9am and the crew of five had the addition to this point before 3pm.
    6xxyKLYh.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Figured I'd throw an update post. They pretty much wrapped up the addition to the barn today. I've been waiting five years to have this done and things finally came together. Can't wait to have shop space again.

Here's a pic of the barn back in 18 when we bought the place. It looked great from 250' but it was rough up close.
    QJfan25h.jpg

Here it is today with the new 30'x36' addition on the front. Still got a lot of dirt to move to bring the grade down to where it needs to be but I've been waiting for them to finish up to get back after it. I really enjoyed working with the Amish crew that built it, hopefully we'll have them back in a year or two to enclose our back porch.
    111pjPuh.jpg

fJSuJwvh.jpg

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Figured I'd throw an update post. They pretty much wrapped up the addition to the barn today. I've been waiting five years to have this done and things finally came together. Can't wait to have shop space again.

Here's a pic of the barn back in 18 when we bought the place. It looked great from 250' but it was rough up close.
    QJfan25h.jpg

Here it is today with the new 30'x36' addition on the front. Still got a lot of dirt to move to bring the grade down to where it needs to be but I've been waiting for them to finish up to get back after it. I really enjoyed working with the Amish crew that built it, hopefully we'll have them back in a year or two to enclose our back porch.
    111pjPuh.jpg

fJSuJwvh.jpg
    That color change really makes it pop!

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

Found the Cutter & Cutter employee

• Haha
    Reactions: Mij
    Top Bottom