Any places that sell high quality safes locally?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Slov, I was in the same boat. I just left the states in November to come to Bahrain for the next 2 to 5 years for work and needed something to do with my guns as well. My 22 year old son was staying behind to rent my house with his 22 yr old friend, but there was no way in hell I was leaving several thousand dollars of guns loose in the house. Rural King just happened to have a two day sale on a digital 48 gun safe that regular sold for something like $1099 and with all the rebates and everything, plus veterans day discount, I got it for $599. I cleaned everything up, filled the safe (just barely could get the door shut) along with some desicant thrown in right before I closed it, and then I told my son he could move it where ever he wanted to within the house, but he wasn't getting the combo. Took the emergency open keys with me to Bahrain too. I left him a shotgun and a pistol, and told him I'd buy him a cheaper stack on to store that plus anything else he buys in, but I wasn't going to have my guns loose with a bunch of college kids in the house. (P.S. - it weighs 700 pounds and took 4 full grown men to move into the house empty, so he isn't going to move it too far. As a matter of fact he was complaining about how much room it was taking in between the living room and dining room. I told him to throw a pretty sheet over it and put a lamp on top and think of it as an overgrown side table!!!)

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I bought at Gander in early December 2 yrs ago. Liberty Fat Boy 64 gun safe. It was 1800 on sale. Love the safe...wish I'd have gotten the taller model beside it..but it was another 600 bucks I believe.

I backed up to the door 20 minutes later, they loaded it, then I engineered it out of my truck myself with my cherry picker(engine hoist). Safe itself weighed 800 lbs.

Slovpeter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Okay, so I got back from the Outdoorsman Sport Shop on 135 and Gander Mountain on the South East Side. The hunt today took about 2 total hours.

I went to the Outdoorsman first, and saw their line up of Heritage, Rhino, and Superior Safes. Seeing Gun safes in perspective really gave me a better perspective of what I actually wanted, and how much I should invest. I was focused on the specifications, more than the price. Out of the whole bunch, there was one Superior Safe that caught my eye, and gave me serious interest. It was a SM-50 model that measures 44x72x28. It holds 58 guns. What caught my eye was the 10 gauge steel body, and 1/4 inch solid steel door. The welds are full seam welds and not spot welds. It was a manual lock. I tried a speed lock, but that feature doesnt bother me as much honestly. Out of all the safes it had the best fire rating. 1650 degrees Farenheit at 90 mintues. Other safes, some bigger or smaller had ratings of 30-60 in the tempature ranges of 1200-1350. The door frame and door fit was excellent. No pry bar could even get into a slot. The gloss gray color looked really nice. The UL rating was 18DN, but I still have to research the UL ratings. There is a sale for 200 dollars off this exact safe as well. The other safes did not impress me as much, but they did cost 50-75% of what the Superior safe was in terms of MSRP or markup. MSRP of the Superior Safe was $4499, but they were selling it for $3999. However, they had a special for $3799 that is still going.

After that, I went to Gander. They only had 2 Liberty safes I was interested in, but I couldnt get as much information. I would have been better off googling forums for the information they gave me. I had more of a big box store feel with Gander. The two models were the Timber Ridege, and the Franklin. However, both the safes had 11 gauge bodies, but wouldnt list the steel in the door, and they were vague compared to the Superior safe. Fire ratings were 60 minutes at 1200, and 75 mintues at 1200 degress. Both can hold 64 long guns. The UL rating was 8M10 on the Timber Ridge and the Franklin. The Timber Ridge MSRP was $1699, and the Franklin MSRP was at $2079

So, as you can see there is a price difference between the two that shows. With my current knowledge, the Superior safe is a higher quality safe across the board. However, the price among the three is much different. I think I am looking at 1 high end safe, and 2 mid range safes from a MSRP/ Markup stand point.

I think I might have a better idea of what I want tomorrow when I go visit Johnson Safes up in Zionsville, and see the three Fort Knox display safes ( avaliable for purchase) at the Point Blank Range & Gun Store in Carmel.

Smitty, thanks for the input and story. I will be pretty much doing the same thing. However, I am contimplating letting my father use the safe as well since he owns guns too.

87iroc, nice job with the hoist. Unfortunately I dont have one. The guys at Outdoorsman Sports Shop have been delivering a long time, and according to one user in this thread, their delivery timing, handling, and setup of the safe was one of the best besides the Professional Safe movers linked by another user in this thread.

Any inputs on my findings so far? I am willing to pay the price and invest in a gun safe. I want this to be something that could last me many many decades. Thanks - Slov

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I really like my liberty. Doesn't surprise me Gander couldn't tell you anything. Liberty is very nice and their Franklin is the top of the line. Never heard of the ones Outdoorsman has but that doesn't mean anything.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I was just in this boat also. Really call around to people who actually go out and service safes after fires and stuff. Alot of info gets left out. Like its rated for 1 hour at 1300 degrees. Average house fire burns for 45 minutes at 1300 degrees. But they don't include cool down or anything else. A lot of the fire damage comes from when the water hits your very hot safe and causes a lot of steam. 10 guage steel is decent but still defeatble with a standard firemans axe. 7 guage steel is where you really want to be when spending 3k. It can't be beat with manual means. They require tools. If you want it to be torch proof then you need stainless steel liner to disapate the heat. Bolt it down but not directly to a concrete floor. Put it in a corner so even if they wanted they can't pry the doors.

There is a ton of info out there but johnson safes and sturdy safes are the 2 I trust right now or if you want a full custom. Jeff at johnson safes is a wealth of knowledge. Even most your ft knox stuff is 11 guage steel and most of the standard liberty and them don't even come close to surviving fires.

Get fire sleeves for any documentation and paperwork you have as they will save your bacon also. Just in case. Becareful of the sales pitches and listening to people who are emotionally invested in there items as they want to believe they have the best stuff.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I was just in this boat also. Really call around to people who actually go out and service safes after fires and stuff. Alot of info gets left out. Like its rated for 1 hour at 1300 degrees. Average house fire burns for 45 minutes at 1300 degrees. But they don't include cool down or anything else. A lot of the fire damage comes from when the water hits your very hot safe and causes a lot of steam. 10 guage steel is decent but still defeatble with a standard firemans axe. 7 guage steel is where you really want to be when spending 3k. It can't be beat with manual means. They require tools. If you want it to be torch proof then you need stainless steel liner to disapate the heat. Bolt it down but not directly to a concrete floor. Put it in a corner so even if they wanted they can't pry the doors.

There is a ton of info out there but johnson safes and sturdy safes are the 2 I trust right now or if you want a full custom. Jeff at johnson safes is a wealth of knowledge. Even most your ft knox stuff is 11 guage steel and most of the standard liberty and them don't even come close to surviving fires.

Get fire sleeves for any documentation and paperwork you have as they will save your bacon also. Just in case. Becareful of the sales pitches and listening to people who are emotionally invested in there items as they want to believe they have the best stuff.

This is what I'm finding out.

Right now, I've got a tin can of a gun safe. It holds guns good enough to keep kids out, but with a screw driver and a modest amount of motivation any crook would get into the safe. I've watched that you tube video at least a dozen times where the guy explains the difference between other safes and a fort knox. It's a hard decision for me to get my mind around because in reality, if it's a Liberty vs a Fort Knox only the Fort Knox is a real safe. I was just looking at safes at the local Gander Mountain the other night and I really liked the Franklin 64 and at $2,000 it seems like a whole lot of safe for the money, but I know it doesn't compare to a Fort Knox. I've never talked with Johnson Safes, and I've only heard great things about them. My issue is that in Fort Wayne, there isn't a Fort Knox Dealer, and Johnson is in Indy. It'll cost me a fortune to get the safe delivered to my area in Fort Wayne.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Those manufactures should have links to dealers on their websites. I don't go to a lot of gun stores but it seems like most always have a few safes in stock. Not to mention Gander, Dicks and Cabelas

It sounds like you need to just figure out what size you need and how much you're willing to spend. Go buy one and get it delivered.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The Fort Knox website has the nearest dealer of theirs as Point Blank in Carmel. That's almost 2 hours one way for me. I know it'd be a one time trip, but the delivery and install price is going to be pretty hefty with distance like that.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Woobie, I will give Johnson Safe a call tomorrow. More than likely, they are closed until tomorrow. I leave for OSUT the 12th. No biggie, just a job I've wanted to do for a very long time. I only have an AK, AR15, Mosin, and a AR15 lower. I have close to 2k rounds for each caliber besides the Mosin. So, the stash is not that big really. I appreciate the offer, but I am leery of that. Unforutnately, I do not trust my mother with guns. She has a psychological breakdown a while back and it was very very bad. So, she is not going to have posession of them, unless they are locked in a gun safe with a combination she does not know. Other than that, my father will have posession of them.

My offer to keep your guns was sarcasm, lol. That's why I put that part of my post in purple. That's INGO's way of indicating sarcasm. There is no way I'm going to be responsible for a strangers firearms.

But seriously, I appreciate your decision to serve, and I wish you all the best. You'll have to tell us about your war stories from when you were in Delta.

Slovpeter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Okay, for those who dont want to read.... Its either Fort Knox or Johnson at this point with Johnson being the major winner in my book.

I went to see the Fort Knox Safes at Point Blank in Carmel, and they were nice. I took pictures of the outside, inside, UL ratings, and other things. The two models were a Maverick and Defender series. The Maverick was bigger, but cheaper. The Defedner was smaller, and more expensive. The Defender came with 10 gauge steel and a 1/4 steel door I believe. After that, the Maverick was honestly off my list in terms of specs, to price ratio. Price isn't a concern for me since the safe is an investment for decades if not my lifetime.

After that I headed over to Johnson Safe in Zionsville. I was more than pleased with my experience there. The guys were working in the shop welding, cutting, painting, priming, and mixing safes right in front of me. They took the extra time to answer my questions specifically regardings cointinous weld seems, how their steel is bent/ welded, what makes them better than other brands?

Honestly.... Their price and value to me is outstanding. How can someone list a 7 gauge steel body with a 3/8ths thick door for only $1995 as their smallest size? Hell, for the similar Fort Knox Defender sized safe... Johnson Safe was at $2295 while the Fort Knox was at $3860 with the display model discount. The only downside is the wait time. However, there is a way around that after talking to one of the Johnson Safe workers. I still get customization and such at a cheaper price and not sacrificing quality.

I feel a Johnson Safe is the right choice. I now understand why many prefer Johnson over many including Fort Knox.

Woobie, haha. Yea right... I'm not even in reception. Good sarcasm. I'm not the best at detecting it sometimes.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    First choice for me would be Johnson. In fact I have talked to Jeff a couple of times including earlier today. We are setting up a time for him to view my house to figure out what I can get down my stairs and into the basement. If he can get you taken care of in your time crunch, go for it. If not, see the folks at Indy Arms as they have some in stock and on sale right now.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Just curious----Why didnt you go to Indiana Gun Club? >113th East of Olio Rd< ("something close") Several safes---delivery-----PLUS,nice display of quality Shotguns,Rifles and several andguns

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I've been doing some reading....

Slov, first WELCOME to INGO!!--This place will come to "Grow" on you!!...HA HA...

Your thinking on a Johnson Safe has merit..I have had one of their larger ones for just over 4 years + am COMPLETELY Satisfied!!

Jeff and His "Crew" put it in my basement with no problems at all.

I DID pay the extra, and got their top of the line..GREAT for me...Bill.

Edit: Sorry about the WELCOME--Looks like you have been here for awhile--You just don't talk MUCH...HA HA..

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Okay, for those who dont want to read.... Its either Fort Knox or Johnson at this point with Johnson being the major winner in my book.

I went to see the Fort Knox Safes at Point Blank in Carmel, and they were nice. I took pictures of the outside, inside, UL ratings, and other things. The two models were a Maverick and Defender series. The Maverick was bigger, but cheaper. The Defedner was smaller, and more expensive. The Defender came with 10 gauge steel and a 1/4 steel door I believe. After that, the Maverick was honestly off my list in terms of specs, to price ratio. Price isn't a concern for me since the safe is an investment for decades if not my lifetime.

After that I headed over to Johnson Safe in Zionsville. I was more than pleased with my experience there. The guys were working in the shop welding, cutting, painting, priming, and mixing safes right in front of me. They took the extra time to answer my questions specifically regardings cointinous weld seems, how their steel is bent/ welded, what makes them better than other brands?

Honestly.... Their price and value to me is outstanding. How can someone list a 7 gauge steel body with a 3/8ths thick door for only $1995 as their smallest size? Hell, for the similar Fort Knox Defender sized safe... Johnson Safe was at $2295 while the Fort Knox was at $3860 with the display model discount. The only downside is the wait time. However, there is a way around that after talking to one of the Johnson Safe workers. I still get customization and such at a cheaper price and not sacrificing quality.

I feel a Johnson Safe is the right choice. I now understand why many prefer Johnson over many including Fort Knox.

Woobie, haha. Yea right... I'm not even in reception. Good sarcasm. I'm not the best at detecting it sometimes.

Did they say what their lead time is??

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature

Apparently the $373.99 sale price was a mistake. I jumped on this, got an order confirmation, and they debited my account for the purchase price plus shipping. Today I got an email apologizing and saying that my order was canceled. They also credited my account today as well. I kind of thought that was too good to be true. They offered 10% off on the actual price... I think I will pass for now.

Slovpeter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Tallend, Honestly... I just forgot about it, and I'm not going to drive back up 50 minutes and then 50 back again to my home for one store. I work the night shift and I stayed up 36 hours just to go see those safes. I bet they were great, I just didnt have time and won't have any. I pretty much needed to get everything situated this week.

jd4320t, I talked to Jeff over at Johnson Safe and the current lead time is 5-6 months.

So, I have decided on a Johnson safe. The reasons I gave are the reasons why I chose them. On top of it, Jeff bent over backwards for me to help me out in my situation and I couldn't be happier. I will be using a loaner safe supplied by him until my custom safe is made 5-6 months from now. All I have to do is pay for the delivery/ installation. Someone like that will certainly be getting my business. I know he doesn't do that for everyone, but he sure did for me in my situation. Once the safe is delivered either by the end of this week or the beginning of the next, at my home, Jeff will take my order and it will be built 5-6 months from now.

Thanks for all the help guys. The information and advice greatly helped my decision. I don't even have a Johnson safe yet, and I dont regret going with Jeff over at Johnson Safe at all!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Apparently the $373.99 sale price was a mistake. I jumped on this, got an order confirmation, and they debited my account for the purchase price plus shipping. Today I got an email apologizing and saying that my order was canceled. They also credited my account today as well. I kind of thought that was too good to be true. They offered 10% off on the actual price... I think I will pass for now.

I've been kicking myself over that for days. I'm not glad they didn't honor their error, but I'm also glad I didn't miss such a great deal.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Great to hear they were able to help you out at Johnson. My dad and I currently share a Liberty Fat Boy Jr (in college so majority of my firearms stay at my parents), but one of these days, I'll own a Johnson... Maybe even a vault door from them. A guy can dream, can't he?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom