Any mountain bikers been to the Town Run Trail Park?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I bought my first mountain bike today. Nothing too fancy or special, I got a 2006 Fuji Panic with about one mile of use on it for $200 off of craigslist, looks brand new and still has all of the tips on the tires. I was googling this evening and found a little bit about the Town Run Trail Park here on the NE side of Indianapolis. It says it's a 7.5 mile trail which runs clockwise. I'd like to check it out some time but being new to the sport and having not done any serious riding in 25 years I don't want to get in over my head.

Anyone been here who can offer some advice? Would it be unwise to just jump in? Is the trail pretty easy to follow or is there a chance I might get lost out in the "wilderness"? Lol

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Good trail, 3-4 out of 10 in difficulty, the park is open until dusk, and you'll really enjoy it. Some hard core riders push pretty hard, get to a wide spot and let them by when you can. I ride there a few times a month, also ride Ft Ben quite often, paved roads, but lots of hills, good cross training.

Bring a water bottle or hydration pack, and glasses, it's really dusty out there right now, and you'll be slinging mud when it's wet.

See you there.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Be prepared to be run over by the hot rods there. I have given up riding there as it seems that every time I crash ( which seems to be often) all you hear is get out of the way. Nobody has ever stopped to ask if I was ok, or offer help. Just too rude for my taste. It also seems like a roller coaster ride. Many short steep up and downs. If you aren't real good, be prepared to fall over backwards.:twocents:

rycollier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2010
    I just went there last week and was my first time on a single track. It wasn't that tough but there were some speed demons.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Been there many times. Probably one of the best trails in the state to get started on. Make sure to wear a helmet, water, extra tube/air. It can be a long push back if you get to the far side of the trail near 465.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I used to go regularly, but haven't been much this year. There are a few challenging spots at Town Run, but overall a great course for beginner/intermediate.

I've been lucky. In my many times there, I've never run into any rude hot rodders. (It's definitely not because I'm fast.) Every time someone has needed to get by, they've always been patient until I found a spot to slow/stop to let them pass, and then they said thanks. I've definitely heard my share of stories, though. Lots of people have their stopwatches on every single time they ride, and really want to get that personal best time.

I've had quite a few great conversations at the picnic tables after riding. The majority of people who go there are pretty friendly.

Be sure to check out the forums at hmba.org. They do a great job of posting the trail conditions. Not that they really change much this year... dry, dry, dry.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Anyone been here who can offer some advice? Would it be unwise to just jump in? Is the trail pretty easy to follow or is there a chance I might get lost out in the "wilderness"? Lol

Before I got to know the course, I took a few wrong turns. But it generally just meant that I skipped a portion and ended up back at the parking lot a little early.

If you haven't done much mtn biking, just be prepared to jump off a few times. Until you get to know the course, you don't always know when the steep spots are. But the steep spots are short.

The only spot that make me a bit nervous is near the very end... is it called tetanus hill? A few narrow turns with a drop-off to the side. I've never fallen there, but I do plan on it at some point. :-)

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Before I got to know the course, I took a few wrong turns. But it generally just meant that I skipped a portion and ended up back at the parking lot a little early.

If you haven't done much mtn biking, just be prepared to jump off a few times. Until you get to know the course, you don't always know when the steep spots are. But the steep spots are short.

The only spot that make me a bit nervous is near the very end... is it called tetanus hill? A few narrow turns with a drop-off to the side. I've never fallen there, but I do plan on it at some point. :-)

Yup, didn't have to go to med check for that one but put a heck of a strawberry on my hip.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thanks for the info guys. Had to go in for emergency surgery on Thursday so my riding plans are off for the time being, restricted to nice easy rides with my daughter around the block until I get healed up.

Maybe when I'm back in the saddle I could talk someone in to meeting me out there to show me the ropes? I haven't spent much time on a bike since I was a kid but my body is telling me that running on a regular basis isn't going to work anymore. I'm looking forward to riding and hoping I might get my wife interested as well.

Are there any other places to ride around Indy aside from the Monon?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Theres a trail system north and east of Keystone at the crossing that runs along white river.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Maybe when I'm back in the saddle I could talk someone in to meeting me out there to show me the ropes?

Are there any other places to ride around Indy aside from the Monon?

I ride there often, i'll meet you any time. There is also a few races there, on foot and bike (google DINO Series), it's a fun course.

As for other places, I cross-train at Ft Ben too. You can run a few miles of soft trails, get your hill workouts (sprint the sled hill a dozen times!), or go for a long bike ride on pavement. I go with the kids, I run, they bike, then they play on the big hill while i sprint it. It's a nice place year round.

Then, you go out for ice cream!

Top Bottom