• ...and so much more!
  • oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Not really if we keep getting sunny days and rain. A hard freeze will put a stop to it though and that could be any day. We seeded last week and it's up and doing good. We will over seed in the spring.
    The problem is allowing the roots to grow deep enough (~4") to survive the winter. Recommend seeding date, at least for Northern Indiana, is August 15th, especially for Kentucky Bluegrass. There's a little more leeway with perennial rye, maybe as late as the end of August.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    You are correct! We can't not seed our sites though. The residents have a **** fit if we don't. Surprisingly, most of our seed comes up thru November and greens again in the spring. We over seed everything in spring though to fill it out. If the residents water it, it makes all the difference.

Reactions: oze

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    You are correct! We can't not seed our sites though. The residents have a **** fit if we don't. Surprisingly, most of our seed comes up thru November and greens again in the spring. We over seed everything in spring though to fill it out. If the residents water it, it makes all the difference.
    I see that you're also in The Fort . God, our soil sucks. Clay/compacted silt, pH of 7.2, crazy high calcium levels. On and on, ad infinitum. :xmad:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    My first questions would involve what type of tree, and how close to the surface are the roots. Maples, for example, send out roots very close to the surface, and outcompete the infant grass seedlings. Also, how much soil is in that area, as opposed to tree root mass? I doubt if a reputable brand like Scott's would sell zoisia. Could have Annual ryegrsss as mentioned: very fast germination but not cold weather hardy. But unless the whole bag was annual rye, the whole area wouldn't be dead. Bottom line: could be lots of things. Got any pics? Also, don't confuse annual rye with perennial rye. I am a turfgrass aficionado and OCD about my lawn, but by no means an expert. Here's my perennial rye lawn 3 weeks ago:
    View attachment 310197
    It was a very large maple, but the tree was actually taken down about ten years ago, since it was in the side yard, I just tolerated it for all these years. I used a paddle bit extension and drilled about a hundred holes 3 feet down into several years ago and it pretty much rotted into a hollow shell over time, so I doubt the roots would still be a factor. Plus, most of the shallow roots were removed with the excavator.

It’s really weird because I noticed today that it seems to be greener now that it was yesterday when I mowed, I dunno, it’s been warm and sunny the last couple of days. I may seed it again and see what happens in the spring.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    It was a very large maple, but the tree was actually taken down about ten years ago, since it was in the side yard, I just tolerated it for all these years. I used a paddle bit extension and drilled about a hundred holes 3 feet down into several years ago and it pretty much rotted into a hollow shell over time, so I doubt the roots would still be a factor. Plus, most of the shallow roots were removed with the excavator.

It’s really weird because I noticed today that it seems to be greener now that it was yesterday when I mowed, I dunno, it’s been warm and sunny the last couple of days. I may seed it again and see what happens in the spring.
    Good luck.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    "Contractor Mix" grass seeds are frequently 85% or more annual grasses- one timers, and 15% or less perennial- comes up every year. Maybe that is what you got.

I prefer Black Beauty grass seed. I'm no lawn expert, but I've been fighting the good fight for a few years and I have seen a big difference.

Top Bottom