• ...and so much more!
  • XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    On my XJ i had 235 r15's and a 2" lift with no trimming. Tires were bad and i upgraded to 31x10.5 R15s. They would rub really bad on a 2" with full fenders. You couldn't have any weight in the back hatch or you would be rubbing on the bumper caps. I knew it was going to happen so i was prepared to trim. I trimmed the front up to the top of the old flare and the back i cut and folded the lip over. I also run flareless and no bumper caps on the rear. I am running a RigidCo front bumper so that opens the front up considerably.

I will run 33"s here soon on about 3" of lift. and some more trimming.

I am running JCR bumpers with some aggresive trimming on 32's. The rear hasn't given me an issue since I trimmed but the front could use a tad more lift, which will happen soon enough.

rear trim in progress
    2011-04-17_15-00-34_156.jpg

Completely trimmed
    2011-04-21_17-19-25_415.jpg

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    I wish I knew a place/private location around Kokomo to go wheeling :/
    Weather is perfect

Ceejus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    sooooo, i must be lying then? :dunno:
    mine rubbed at full lock AND when i would turn into a subdivision type driveway with the curb type entrances against the rear of the front flares, not even at full lock. it was NOT rubbing the control arms. i had aftermarket wheels with less backspacing than stock. if you were running stock wheels and 31's you most likely wouldn't rub on the flare like mine did. none the less, you can't tell me that what i said wasn't true, when you don't know. there again, i said mine rubbed and you said yours rubbed. i don't know what it was that i said that was not true. rubbing at full lock, is still rubbing. i went to 3.5" lift on that Jeep and the 31's were perfectly fine.

also, what we fail to realize a lot of times here, is that XJ rear leaves sag like a mother. so, what may rub on someone's rig, may not rub on someone else's if they have new spring packs and stuff. you should theoretically be able to only do a 2" budget boost, trim, and run 31's with no sweat. use a wheel with 3.5" or 4" of backspace, and you won't rub the control arms either. that would give you a pretty cool Low COG vehicle with decent ground clearance. probably wouldn't have to run a t-case drop either. if you went with something like the bushwacker flat flares, you may even be able to run 32's or 33's with a 2" lift. just make sure your springs are all in good shape.

Not true, I ran 2" of lift and 31's and the only rub I had was at full lock, Now I'm at 3" and 32's and they rub a bit more but nothing that worries me.

Last edited:

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Speaking of lifting, I will probably be getting a small lift for the short term. Getting a set of 3" add a leafs (sagged to 2" lift height) and will have a local spring shop re arch my old leaf pack. Then the front will be a 2" spacer. Will be getting a good lift kit in the long term (when I save up 1800-1900 for a lift kit and tires).

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    sooooo, i must be lying then? :dunno:
    mine rubbed at full lock AND when i would turn into a subdivision type driveway with the curb type entrances against the rear of the front flares, not even at full lock. it was NOT rubbing the control arms. i had aftermarket wheels with less backspacing than stock. if you were running stock wheels and 31's you most likely wouldn't rub on the flare like mine did. none the less, you can't tell me that what i said wasn't true, when you don't know. there again, i said mine rubbed and you said yours rubbed. i don't know what it was that i said that was not true. rubbing at full lock, is still rubbing. i went to 3.5" lift on that Jeep and the 31's were perfectly fine.

also, what we fail to realize a lot of times here, is that XJ rear leaves sag like a mother. so, what may rub on someone's rig, may not rub on someone else's if they have new spring packs and stuff. you should theoretically be able to only do a 2" budget boost, trim, and run 31's with no sweat. use a wheel with 3.5" or 4" of backspace, and you won't rub the control arms either. that would give you a pretty cool Low COG vehicle with decent ground clearance. probably wouldn't have to run a t-case drop either. if you went with something like the bushwacker flat flares, you may even be able to run 32's or 33's with a 2" lift. just make sure your springs are all in good shape.
    Could it have anything to do witht th offset inside the Aftermarket Wheels you also had installed...

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.3%
    33   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    If you went to wheels with 3.5-4" of bacspacing you pushed the tire out further. The smaller the number in back spacing the less width of the wheel is over hanging the inside of the hub. A factory wheel has something like 5.25" of back spacing.

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    I had a 98' ZJ that was my pride and joy for years. It would get me places out in the country that a lot of welder's 1 ton trucks would just sink. Finally hit 250k on the motor and traded it for a Ram. I still miss my GC from time to time, but I love the extra room in the Ram.

Ceejus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Could it have anything to do witht th offset inside the Aftermarket Wheels you also had installed...

I know it had everything to do with the wheels. If I had stock wheels it would have been rubbing on the LCA's. My point is, a 2" lift with 31's, is going to rub somewhere. Be it on the LCA's or on the flare with aftermarket wheels, (Unless you trim the flares, of course.) I do know what I'm talking about, contrary to what some of you might think. :D. This XJ is my 4th one. They have all been lifted and wheeled and I've done the majority of work on all of them. I'll shut up now.....aw no I won't. Who am I trying to kid! :):

mjones

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    McCordsville
    :laugh:
    Well, find me a Jeep that can take the top off in good shape with nothing major needing work for 2,000. That is how much I paid for my XJ.

I did help my friend do his brakes (new pads and rotors) on his JK Unlimited. I bought a breaker bar just in case. Glad I did as the bolts that held the brake pad holder on were put on with air tools or something. Ratchets and hitting the ratchets with rubber mallets did nothing. The 25" breaker bar I bought earlier that day and the socket to fit it unstuck the bolts in one second.

In that case I will take one to

Top Bottom