• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    That black one looks pretty nice! I hope they re-geared it with 35's, or it will SUCK on the highway. Looks like Goodyear MT-R tires. Those are great on and off road. Expensive, too.

You know you want it. ;)

d30 up front and d35 in the rear...I had checked while looking

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    d30 up front and d35 in the rear...I had checked while looking

The stock gear ratio should be a 3.07 with the auto, or a 3.73 with a manual (or special order with the auto). There is a small tag on each axle (well, originally) that should have that number stamped on it. Either would be TERRIBLE with a tall tire. With 35's you would want 4.56's for near-stock power and mileage.

You'll know if it has been re-geared if you drive it. If over-drive is simply worthless, then it has stock gears. A lot of folks don't fix the speedometer, either, so if it is WAY off (almost 10 MPH at 60) then that is an obvious give-away.

The Rough Country lift is on the cheaper side of things. Will ride a bit.... rough... but nothing really wrong with it. Adjustable track bars and control arms are available if there are alignment or vibration issues.

If the interior and undercarriage look as nice as the exterior, then that might be a decent deal. What's the price?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The Rough Country lift is on the cheaper side of things. Will ride a bit.... rough... but nothing really wrong with it. Adjustable track bars and control arms are available if there are alignment or vibration issues.

Wranglers aren't Cadillacs. They're suppose to ride rough :D

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Again, there's nothing wrong with that.

I know a lot of guys will just regear their stock axles, and run them hard for years with no problems.

Possible...still gather parts for d44 swap.

looks like it as rough country suspension though.

It is...

The stock gear ratio should be a 3.07 with the auto, or a 3.73 with a manual (or special order with the auto). There is a small tag on each axle (well, originally) that should have that number stamped on it. Either would be TERRIBLE with a tall tire. With 35's you would want 4.56's for near-stock power and mileage.

You'll know if it has been re-geared if you drive it. If over-drive is simply worthless, then it has stock gears. A lot of folks don't fix the speedometer, either, so if it is WAY off (almost 10 MPH at 60) then that is an obvious give-away.

If the interior and undercarriage look as nice as the exterior, then that might be a decent deal. What's the price?

5 speed, black interior with red seats(leather?) that looks like they came out of a Ferrari. Looks nice from what I can tell. Idk how much, it was raining and all the car salesmen thought they were going to melt.

breas1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Indy
    I dunno how i missed this thread, probably because I'm a lazy poster. I've got a '98 Cherokee with a 3" Rustys lift and 31' bfg Km2 tires and i love it. There are some things to watch out for on them but that can be said about any Jeep or vehicle for that matter. I've got less than 5 grand in my Cherokee(including the jeep) and can drive circles around my buddies rubicon. Its all about how you drive and your skill level, now when he learns how to wheel it I may be in trouble.

I'd be leery of buying one that has already been lifted just from the stand point you dont know how hard the previous owner wheeled it. You dont know if they put the lift on them self or had a shop do it. I've seen some botched trucks for sure. If you do make sure to take someone with you that knows or have it checked out.

As far as axles and lockers and all that i wouldn't worry too much about it right off the bat. Buy it, wheel it, get to know how it drives off road stock. Make sure you have tow points and skid plates to protect the under side. Get a lift and some tires and keep wheeling it. I dont see the need to run out and buy a locker(s) and axles you'd be surprised what they will do with open diffs and good tires.

No matter how you plan it out now, it will change. Just Empty Every Pocket. Dont buy anything from four wheel parts, avoid body lifts, and take some one with you to pull you out when you get stuck.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Badlands Off Road park Toys for Tots day is December 1st.

Yep! Toys for Tots | Facebook

Haspin Acres Toys 4 Tots - October 27th
    IFWDA Event Calendar - Toys 4 Tots

Interlake Toys 4 Tots - November 3rd (I'll be at this one)

Wheeling for a great cause! Get in free (or deeply discounted) if you bring a $20 (or better) toy. The toys are collected by the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation for distribution in time for Christmas to needy children.

And a couple of Redbird Night Rides coming up:
    October 27/28
    November 23-25

Gotta go wheeling this fall! No excuses!

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I don't know if I will be taking my XJ off road, but no matter what, I will be. Sarah has never been so I have the friend with the lifted JK that will let us ride with him (actually at some point, he enjoys riding and letting others drive). She can't make it for Toys 4 Tots day, so it will be some other day.

Top Bottom