• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Suppose I should throw mine up here. 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport. 3 inch Rustys lift, Rancho RSX shocks, GDI 3-core radiator, Jet Stage 1 chip, Thorley header with 2.5 exhaust. Currently rolling 31x10.5 BFG-ATKO's, without proper bump stops and which rub up front lol. Bought it used in 1997 with 50K miles, needed a new engine at 80k miles, never done any serious off roading because I honestly can't afford any more major repairs. Also, my mileage went way south after the 31's, has the Chrysler 8.25 rear end which limits my gear options to 4.10 IIRC. My daily driver is a Buick Regal, mainly use this for hauling/towing, and the occasional Jimmy Buffett Concert. In this photo, I am about to haul my old carpet to the landfill after tearing it out, for a savings of about $200 :):Was worried about the bit hanging over the exhaust melting, but it made the trip ok.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Anyone know the best way to put a hitch on the FRONT of a cherokee?
    I know they make front bumpers with hitches. Not many options on a unibody.

Googled up this, but it isn't rated for much weight:
    Jeep Front Mount Receiver Hitch | Hitches Online

This looks a little nicer:
    Olympic 4x4 Products 533-151 - Olympic Rock Front Bumper with Hitch for 84-01 Jeep® Cherokee XJ - Quadratec

On another note: I finally installed the cammed LCA bolts on my TJ, and dialed in a bit more caster. Should have done this MONTHS ago! Still needs a real alignment, but what a difference.

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    No, i wheel with plenty of people who drive other makes. Most do end up deciding a Jeep is better for the trail, though, and their other car better for the mall. Ya know, scratches and what not...solid axles help a bit too

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    No, i wheel with plenty of people who drive other makes. Most do end up deciding a Jeep is better for the trail, though, and their other car better for the mall. Ya know, scratches and what not...solid axles help a bit too

I see your name suits you quite well

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Okay, I'll bite? What kind of Volvo? I am going to guess something like this?

volvo_suv_xc_90_ocean_race_edition.jpg

?

Besides the independent suspension limiting your off road ability. Your ground clearance probably isn't much better then my Jeep Cherokee as it is stock. My stock XJ will get into some places, but it isn't any place I would take something something like a Volvo suv. If you want some legal muddy trail, go to badlands in Attica. Go to Walmart and get yourself a bicycle flag so you can drive there. Oh, and you better hope your Volvo has front and rear recovery points as I bet it is a unibody and had no real frame. With no real frame, if you don't have front and rear recovery points, when you get stuck, you will need someone to pull you out. Unless you want to end up like this person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJA3J--g_yI

I wouldn't try anything other then a fire road or some country road after a rain. Being nice here, go prepared to be stuck, because if you are on AT or street tires, chances are you will.

I should also add, I took my stock XJ on an easy trail and so far I have gotten two or four new scratches (I call them off road beauty marks) and dents in the rockers from going over hills. I wouldn't be taking anything like a nice Volvo SUV other then a fire road where it is muddy, nevermind a trail.

Also, please, please, please, if you do, do it legally! There is more and more trails being closed off due to idiots on the trails damaging the area around the trails or leaving trash on it.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Okay, I'll bite? What kind of Volvo? I am going to guess something like this?

volvo_suv_xc_90_ocean_race_edition.jpg

?

Besides the independent suspension limiting your off road ability. Your ground clearance probably isn't much better then my Jeep Cherokee as it is stock. My stock XJ will get into some places, but it isn't any place I would take something something like a Volvo suv. If you want some legal muddy trail, go to badlands in Attica. Go to Walmart and get yourself a bicycle flag so you can drive there. Oh, and you better hope your Volvo has front and rear recovery points as I bet it is a unibody and had no real frame. With no real frame, if you don't have front and rear recovery points, when you get stuck, you will need someone to pull you out. Unless you want to end up like this person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJA3J--g_yI

I wouldn't try anything other then a fire road or some country road after a rain. Being nice here, go prepared to be stuck, because if you are on AT or street tires, chances are you will.

I should also add, I took my stock XJ on an easy trail and so far I have gotten two or four new scratches (I call them off road beauty marks) and dents in the rockers from going over hills. I wouldn't be taking anything like a nice Volvo SUV other then a fire road where it is muddy, nevermind a trail.

Also, please, please, please, if you do, do it legally! There is more and more trails being closed off due to idiots on the trails damaging the area around the trails or leaving trash on it.

wasn't looking for anything extreme, something a little exciting... xc70 is what we have actually, complete with front and rear recovery points.

XC70.JPG

^^^ not mine, but just like it...

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I don't know of any dirt roads, but that might be it. You could go to Badlands and drive on the road that goes to the quarry, but I think you would get stuck at the turn off in the sand dunes because I have to use 4lo to get through the soft sand.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I don't know of any dirt roads, but that might be it. You could go to Badlands and drive on the road that goes to the quarry, but I think you would get stuck at the turn off in the sand dunes because I have to use 4lo to get through the soft sand.

I want to know what it can and can't do...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    No, I don't think I'm above anybody else because of my Jeeps. For other reasons, sure, but certainly not the Jeeps! Heck, I'd trade 'em both for a Unimog right now, and there are plenty of other 4x4's I'd love to drive.

That said, there is no way I would take that Volvo down anything other than a dirt 2-track or maybe the sand dunes. Not because it is a Volvo, but because it lacks clearance and wheel articulation. I doubt is has any under-body protection. Damage would be almost guaranteed.

If you DO want to see what it can handle, the Badlands has the best mix of terrain to try. They have a sand and pea-gravel area that it would likely do quite well in. There are a couple of trails in the woods that you might get down. Find a way to mount a flag to the front, and give it a shot. Take pictures!

Indiana doesn't have the 2-track public roads like many other states. The DNR shut down everything in Hoosier National Forest years ago. There are still plenty of gravel roads down that way, but nothing a car couldn't drive on. I know of a few scenic roads, but a couple are usually gated off. In the winter, they are much more "fun", and the AWD Volvo would be more at home. PM me if you want directions.

If you want some real fun, try Silver Lake Sand Dunes up in Mears, Michigan. Again, you'll need a flag (sold up there) and MI DNR passes. I've seen plenty of AWD cars running around on the sand.

Sorry to bag on the Volvo. I honestly thought it was a joke.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom