• Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    My cherokee has started the overheating at 182k miles :(
    Is there hope left for it?

What do you consider over heating? A lot of cherokees suffer from higher temps in the warm months. Little engine compartment + cramming in a decent sized engine that likes to create heat = higher temps. If its pegging the temp gauge then yeah, definitely an issue. Lots of guys think that hovering around or a little over 210 is an issue, but its really not.

Most common problem for XJs is the electric fan quitting. Make sure your fan works, then check to make sure the thermostat isnt stuck closed. Theres definitely hope left for the Jeep, and its probably something simple. Also, of course, make sure your coolant and oil levels and conditions are good

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Radiator rot out in upper corner common on XJ's, as is leaking firewall mounted pressure tank. Pre 00 inline 6's that haven't been abused thermally usually last to 250K before losing a head gasket (+/- 25K).

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    What do you consider over heating? A lot of cherokees suffer from higher temps in the warm months. Little engine compartment + cramming in a decent sized engine that likes to create heat = higher temps. If its pegging the temp gauge then yeah, definitely an issue. Lots of guys think that hovering around or a little over 210 is an issue, but its really not.

Most common problem for XJs is the electric fan quitting. Make sure your fan works, then check to make sure the thermostat isnt stuck closed. Theres definitely hope left for the Jeep, and its probably something simple. Also, of course, make sure your coolant and oil levels and conditions are good

I can't go above 60 MPH without my temp gauge climbing. And going mudding will peg it out.

Coolant levels are perfect. Time to flush it and see what happens.

I used to be able to travel at 70 on cruise control at 210 degrees no problem. That was a month or 2 ago

Edit; 94 XJ

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    Its less than 3 weeks away, so pretty soon. They need to let the caterers know a headcount (if you are doing the meals) and get t-shirts printed.

Hit me up offline (PM) if you want trip details. Our group is pretty tame, and is a great bunch of guys to hang out with. Of course, I AM a bit biased.

yes, not a problem to get in, even with the early/late thing...we'll make sure he gets in. The more, the merrier.

unfortunately, I won't be wheeling this year, but I will be there. el d...will your lovely wife be joining Netty and me at the registration desk this year? you said she felt left out last year, and I want her to know she's welcome to "work" with us, if she wants.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    yes, not a problem to get in, even with the early/late thing...we'll make sure he gets in. The more, the merrier.

unfortunately, I won't be wheeling this year, but I will be there. el d...will your lovely wife be joining Netty and me at the registration desk this year? you said she felt left out last year, and I want her to know she's welcome to "work" with us, if she wants.

Cool! So, no excuses if folks want to join us at The Ranch this year!

And yes, my lovely wife would be happy to "work" registration this year. Especially if refreshments are provided. ;) Heck, tell me the appropriate brand, and we'll stock up.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If I can only get $200, then I think I'll just keep it.

And I HAVE thought of selling the Jeep to get a truck. I just don't want the payments.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If I can only get $200, then I think I'll just keep it.

And I HAVE thought of selling the Jeep to get a truck. I just don't want the payments.

You can get a brand new top with hardware for $500 or less. The skins for under $300. I've been shopping around, since the zippers in mine are starting wear out.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I just ended up replacing my top with the bestop supertop nx.

I love it.

Oh, that's right! I forgot you bought that. I have on older Sunrider. It has been a great top, but is starting to show some wear. The rear zipper is busted, and the velcro is not holding up. I'll have to spring for a new top before long. That NX is nice, but kinda pricey!

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I wouldn't guess more then 200 honestly. If I owned a TJ, I would be going for a different top anyway.

Personally, the stock top is okay, but I like this version better.

51gUUuuNZtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom