• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cjfarmer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    If you go spring-over, I'd suggest some YJ springs front and rear. The CJ springs are arched, so will give you a TON of lift. They will also give you a ton of axle wrap in the rear. The YJ springs will reduce the lift a bit, will ride better, and will flex like crazy.

Either way, you will likely need an anti-wrap setup for the rear, or invest in lots of extra springs and driveshafts.

Longer brake lines, re-route your parking brake cables, longer driveshafts (possibly with longer splines as well. Maybe even a CV joint for the rear). Your steering will likely need re-worked (the drag link will hit the springs, and the angle will be pretty severe). I'm sure I'm missing a few things.....

It MAY be worth it to you. Or, it may just be easier to get taller springs and stay spring-under. Or cut out the rear fenders for clearance (TJ flares, and trim the body to fit).

I think for what I'm going to be doing around here I may stay spring under, but I do believe I will be going with YJ springs regardless.
    It sounds like it would be more cost effective to stay spring under since the biggest tires I will run will be 33's.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    If your only going to 33's a 2 inch bodylift might be a lot easier. The YJ springs are wider and going to require cutting and welding. Do the body lift and get a kit to reverse the U bolts. Take the springs apart, clean them and paint them with graphite paint from Tractor Supply to get them to ride better. Buy some decent shocks

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Not all trees are... :(

Agreed :/ I sideswiped one...

And..turns out even though you sit lower than the other guy, my windshield would beg to differ that you can drive under the same things he can...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I just ordered this from 4 Wheel Parts. I'll be picking it up Saturday morning. :D

Bestop

Bestop Part 54720-35 - Supertop NX With Tinted Windows without Doors in Black Diamond

Next I plan on taking the stock fenders off, and either have them bedlined by Line X, or do it myself with Rustoleum Bedliner.

Next purchase will be Regearing. I'm unsure if I'll do any axle swaps....
    You'll like the flip-top on that. I open mine pretty often.

Why bedline the fenders?

If you are going through the trouble of re-gearing, you might look for a replacement rear axle. Find a Dana 44 out of an LJ for a bolt-in replacement, or the Ford 8.8 (would require welding) for an upgrade.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You'll like the flip-top on that. I open mine pretty often.

Why bedline the fenders?

If you are going through the trouble of re-gearing, you might look for a replacement rear axle. Find a Dana 44 out of an LJ for a bolt-in replacement, or the Ford 8.8 (would require welding) for an upgrade.

I dunno, I kinda like the bedline look. An figured it would match my bedlined front bumper and rocker guards.

I may just paint them too...

The regear/axle swap will be a ways down the road. I have nowhere near the money for that yet.

All my cash went into the soft top :D

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Legal? Sure. Smart? Not offroad. I have a strict "Keep all body parts inside the Jeep" rule. Too easy to pinch/smash/crush something if you lean the Jeep into a tree or rock.

If you want wind blowing up your shorts, get a bike. :laugh:
    Or you could get a CJ with a rusted out floor pan.... :popcorn:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I got a Plasma Cutter, OxyAct Torch, Stick Welder, Forklift, and a Refrigerator...

All you have to do is bring the Jeep, Yourself, and the Beer...
    What can go wrong...

Top Bottom