• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Ahh, I see. I do love the TJ. But, they do have some issues, such as frames being compromised by rust. There are fixes for that, though. They are great Jeeps and can be had on the Jeep. I personally have some love for the 2.5. I saw one with about 550k miles on it and it ran like new!

As far as I can tell, frame rot is an issue on every Jeep ever constructed, including probably the brand new ones. When you have a boxed frame there's only so much you can do about it. Mine doesn't look awesome, but I'm hoping it's not severe. I'll have to pull the transmission cross member / skid plate soon enough and that's when I'll get my answer. When I bought it in 2006 I did pull those bolts, clean them, and anti-seize them, so here's hoping I can even get them out to see!

I'm sure you know the 2.5 is literally just a 4.0 with 2 cylinders missing, so, certainly the same family. I personally wouldn't trade the power of the 4.0 even if the 2.5 were twice as reliable. Not that I necessarily suggest it, but mine with 31s, 3.73s, and a soft top will go down the highway in 5th at 80mph pretty smartly (though loudly). It will even maintain speed up modest grades and such pretty well. Most 2.5 guys I've talked to have a hard time maintaining 65 and are downshifting to stay above 55 on a normal Indiana interstate grade.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I had a 93 YJ 2.5. It was fine with a 5 speed and 4.1 gears with 31's. I miss that Jeep. The beauty of it was 50/50 weight distribution and it's overall light weight. I wish I'd never sold it.

My YJ never had frame rot. Neither has my old JK. Two nephews and a brother's TJs all had to have frame repair/reinforcement with fewer miles on them than mine. That's 3 for 3, all in the same area of the frames. Two of the 3 never took theirs off road, either, unlike mine. My other brother had a 91 YJ. At 350k miles the frame was still decent with only surface rust. The body was another story. You could stick your feet through the floorboard like the Flintstones, Lol! The TJs were repaired and two are still daily drivers, so the repairs were good to go.

Last edited:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I had a 93 YJ 2.5. It was fine with a 5 speed and 4.1 gears with 31's. I miss that Jeep. The beauty of it was 50/50 weight distribution and it's overall light weight. I wish I'd never sold it.

My YJ never had frame rot. Neither has my old JK. Two nephews and a brother's TJs all had to have frame repair/reinforcement with fewer miles on them than mine. That's 3 for 3, all in the same area of the frames. Two of the 3 never took theirs off road, either, unlike mine. My other brother had a 91 YJ. At 350k miles the frame was still decent with only surface rust. The body was another story. You could stick your feet through the floorboard like the Flintstones, Lol! The TJs were repaired and two are still daily drivers, so the repairs were good to go.

Probably just a different set of people and experiences between us then. Everyone I know with a CJ has frame rot (2 are sitting on complete replacement frames) and the one YJ guy I've known for years has it too. I know that tons of TJs have the issue, but I had just assumed it was "a Jeep thing". Perhaps that's a poor assumption?

As you said, the repairs seem to work out fine, so if mine needs it then I guess that's what will happen. It's 21 years old right now and doesn't have obvious holes, but I fear for what dropping the pan is going to show me. The body is remarkably rust free other than the fenders (which totally is a TJ thing). My bigger fear is that I know my transmission is hosed, and that won't be cheap, and neither will frame repairs, so... Gonna be an empty every pocket experience for sure when I get there.

In fact... Right now the biggest problem is the top. So... If you know somebody that wants to sell an excellent condition, stock, TJ soft top frame, I'm in the market. I'd prefer a non-sunrider style, but I'll take what I can get. The new aftermarket stuff I bought doesn't fit with a crap and OEM is NLA...

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Probably just a different set of people and experiences between us then. Everyone I know with a CJ has frame rot (2 are sitting on complete replacement frames) and the one YJ guy I've known for years has it too. I know that tons of TJs have the issue, but I had just assumed it was "a Jeep thing". Perhaps that's a poor assumption?

As you said, the repairs seem to work out fine, so if mine needs it then I guess that's what will happen. It's 21 years old right now and doesn't have obvious holes, but I fear for what dropping the pan is going to show me. The body is remarkably rust free other than the fenders (which totally is a TJ thing). My bigger fear is that I know my transmission is hosed, and that won't be cheap, and neither will frame repairs, so... Gonna be an empty every pocket experience for sure when I get there.

In fact... Right now the biggest problem is the top. So... If you know somebody that wants to sell an excellent condition, stock, TJ soft top frame, I'm in the market. I'd prefer a non-sunrider style, but I'll take what I can get. The new aftermarket stuff I bought doesn't fit with a crap and OEM is NLA...

One thing you could do to head it off is spray Fluid Film up in there every Fall. I've done that with my JL and started doing it to the JK last year. Amazon sells a 6 can pack with a 20 or 24" hose with a 360 degree spray head. It gets up in there really well when you hit all the frame holes. The stuff smells like crap for a few days, but it displaces water and is so tacky it doesn't really wash away. The downside is that it grabs dirt on exterior frame welds I've sprayed. They won't rust, though.

I've gone through 2 cans per Jeep, 1 per side. That's with pretty liberal application inside those rails.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    One thing you could do to head it off is spray Fluid Film up in there every Fall. I've done that with my JL and started doing it to the JK last year. Amazon sells a 6 can pack with a 20 or 24" hose with a 360 degree spray head. It gets up in there really well when you hit all the frame holes. The stuff smells like crap for a few days, but it displaces water and is so tacky it doesn't really wash away. The downside is that it grabs dirt on exterior frame welds I've sprayed. They won't rust, though.

I've gone through 2 cans per Jeep, 1 per side. That's with pretty liberal application inside those rails.

I'm sort of afraid to spray anything in there now just in case it does have to be welded. Having to clean all of that crap out of there, or set the Jeep on fire, or have crappy welds, just doesn't seem like an awesome idea. I've never used it before, but I'm assuming it's not water soluble as that would defeat the purpose.

I actually have a full interior frame rail undercoating kit from Eastwood, but I decided not to apply it over the same concern. All will become clear when the pan eventually comes off and the slag hammer comes out. If I start making holes, well, then it is what it is.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I'm sort of afraid to spray anything in there now just in case it does have to be welded. Having to clean all of that crap out of there, or set the Jeep on fire, or have crappy welds, just doesn't seem like an awesome idea. I've never used it before, but I'm assuming it's not water soluble as that would defeat the purpose.

I actually have a full interior frame rail undercoating kit from Eastwood, but I decided not to apply it over the same concern. All will become clear when the pan eventually comes off and the slag hammer comes out. If I start making holes, well, then it is what it is.

My understanding is that it is wool oil, primarily. I'll try to remember to do a little experiment and spray a little spot of it and try to light it on fire and see what it does. It does eventually wear away, but it takes a long time. I'd imagine you are right and that it would linger much longer inside the frame, except maybe where water runs.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    92380830_2546825028899308_8131075782337363968_o.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    The deadly beer virus quarantine has helped me get back to a couple Jeep projects.

First, I put Warn tube doors on the JL after several months of my wife nagging me to get them put together and to get the boxes out of the house. So I finally did it. I then put TJ mirrors on them. They are solid and so far, have no rattles. I'll still sometimes run with no front doors, but I do like them. These Warn doors have a neat arm rest in the front doors. They will soon be offering an elbow pad for them.
    0esSXkN.jpg

TMMIPTt.jpg
    EQ9EdK6.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Next up was kind of a wild idea. I found a Garmin Overlander steeply discounted (They are normally very much overpriced, IMHO). I bought it mainly for the 3D topo maps and the ability to interface with and control my Delorme/Garmin Inreach satellite communicator/rescue locator. But it also had another interesting feature. The ability to wirelessly connect with multiple cameras. It's software was only set up for rear view orientation, however. So I called Garmin and spoke to the gentleman in charge of the Overlander product line. I asked him if the image on the screen could be flipped to orient it correctly for forward viewing. He didn't seem too interested until I told him the Overlander didn't offer anything more for its price than a good tablet could offer, and the tablet can do much, much more. BUT, with the ability to mount multiple wireless cameras, it could be a real game changer in overlanding community, where forward cameras were becoming popular. I told him of the Jeep Gladiator Rubicon's forward facing camera, as an example. I then described how I wanted to mount one underneath the Jeep to spot front wheel placement and help clear the front differential housing around rocks or obstacles. The fact this thing can operate up to 4 cameras gives it a completely unique capability that could tip the scales and increase their market. He told me they'd think about it and wanted me to show him when I got it done. Well, when I powered up the camera tonight, I discovered that in a recent update, they made the change! I was able to change the orientation to front view where the right side will show up on the right of the screen, and vice versa for the left!

So I completed the installation, with the camera mounted on a cross-member just in front of the transfer case skid. The camera only hangs a couple millimeters below the crossmember. I also lined it slightly off center, bo be in line with the diff pumpkin, which hangs significantly lower than the camera. The only time the camera might be vulnerable would be in a severe breakover cresting a hill or mound, but even then, it should be forward of most scrapes or impacts.

So, here is a pic of it in the garage. I still have to tidy up and secure a bit of the wiring, and the lighting in the garage was far from optimal. But, it works! I'll test it in daylight sometime tomorrow. Overall, I'm very happy so far and feel it turned out very close to what I envisioned.

Of course, this is for mild trails and cresting hills. For harder stuff, I always recommend an experienced spotter with a hand held radio to give clear instructions and avoid problems.
    Rtr3hNm.jpg

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    We have joined the Jeep club. We'll, my wife has. She has talked for years about wanting an old beater to just run around locally with the top off. I found one last weekend and got it for her birthday. I started looking a few months ago and found some really good deals on 07-09s, but then we had some things change and finances were uncertain. This one is a 99. It's a little rough, but nothing unexpected on a 20 yr old vehicle. It's a 5 speed but has a 4 cyl. From what I had read, I was looking for a 6 cyl. Oh well, it was cheap enough I could pay cash and if she wants to fix things here or there, she can. For what she wants it for, it is perfect. She was definitely happy and I caved and let her drive it one day before her birthday.
    2lbDF2u.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We added to the Jeep collection as well. New (to us) Gladiator Rubicon.
    GUbdGMT.jpg

Just Empty Every Pocket, indeed. Oh, well. Wife is happy, kiddo is happy, and no complaints from me!

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    We have joined the Jeep club. We'll, my wife has. She has talked for years about wanting an old beater to just run around locally with the top off. I found one last weekend and got it for her birthday. I started looking a few months ago and found some really good deals on 07-09s, but then we had some things change and finances were uncertain. This one is a 99. It's a little rough, but nothing unexpected on a 20 yr old vehicle. It's a 5 speed but has a 4 cyl. From what I had read, I was looking for a 6 cyl. Oh well, it was cheap enough I could pay cash and if she wants to fix things here or there, she can. For what she wants it for, it is perfect. She was definitely happy and I caved and let her drive it one day before her birthday.
    2lbDF2u.jpg

:yesway:

I also own a '99. Sahara, 4.0, 5 Speed. TJs are a great budget option right now, IMO.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    The Gladiator looks nice! Congrats on the Jeep for the wife SCB, I just bought one for the same purpose.

I'm happy I saw this pop up on the new posts feed today!

I just picked up an 02 TJ with a 4" lift on 35"s. I got it cheap and also paid cash. It's not in bad shape, the drivers side fender had a bit of rust and I've already ordered two new fenders and I'm having them along with the grill and fender flares repainted as soon as the fenders show up. Going to rhino line the tub, repaint the bumpers and a few other small things as well as needle gun the frame and slap some pro 15 on where there is rust. I bought it to serve as a motorcycle basically I can take out when it's nice and just leave in the garage with the doors and things off when I'm not driving it. Pretty excited!

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Nice Gladiator and nice TJ's!

I'll bet one can find a pretty good deal on a Gladiator right about now.

Speaking of deals... Anybody have a stock TJ soft top frame they want to part with? Mine was in rough shape and the replacement parts I got from Bestop and Ada-Omix do not impress me. I'd rather go back to OE parts if I can find some.

Top Bottom