• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I installed a CB antenna and Bearcat CB today. I'll also be installing a Midland MXT275 GMRS radio, when it comes available, which should be soon. GMRS is far superior to CB, but most folks with whom I hit the trails have CB's, plus, I like to sometimes chat with truckers on road trips. Anyway, here are some shots of the set-up. Glad to have this done. The Bearcat is a CMX 760. I'll have to tune it, as they supposedly only put out 3 to 3.5 watts of power. It can be tuned to give the full 4 watts, so that's on the to-do list. Anyway, the GMRS will have far greater range, especially with a good antenna, and you can give handhelds to buddies who don't have any comm devices.

GMRS are good and nice to have when not in the vehicle, too. Also there's the 2 M (?) HAM or Amateur radio set ups. But neither of those give you the ability to communicate with truckers or other general users on the road. CB still existss as a viable means of communications.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've always had a CB radio in the Jeep and tow vehicle. Can't be beat for range and interoperability. I also have a hand-held CB that can be used when out of the Jeep (spotting someone thru a tough spot) or to loan to someone who doesn't have a working radio on the trail.

Never had a ton of luck with FRS or GMRS radios. Very few people have them, and the range is pretty terrible. I still keep a couple handy, just in case. They do make good walkie-talkies when you are JUST out of yelling range. I suppose a mounted GMRS radio and well tuned antennae would be better than the hand-helds. A single radio with all CB, FRS, and GMRS bands would be pretty handy.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    GMRS are good and nice to have when not in the vehicle, too. Also there's the 2 M (?) HAM or Amateur radio set ups. But neither of those give you the ability to communicate with truckers or other general users on the road. CB still existss as a viable means of communications.

I tried out the CB in the JL today, and it was getting pretty good range, for a CB. It was certainly better than my JK setup, which I'll be revisiting, starting with a tune. Anyway, the GMRS units I have are much more powerful than the handhelds--15 watts vs. 4, and they have better antennas. I ordered upgraded antennas, too, which should help even more. They are in a different league than the hand helds, which are nice for spotting, like your handheld CB. My JK has a wireless Bluetooth mic that has a speaker, too, so I can get out of the Jeep and still transmit and receive up to 100 feet away from the Jeep. That part of my JK setup works very well.

Next up....Installation of a new Lange Hoist-A-Top Simple in my garage. I've got the hoist, but am still waiting on a new JL-compatible rear hook for it, which should arrive in a week, or so. Then, it is time for the soft top! Tube doors are on the radar, as well.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I apologize if this is a little off topic, but this thread has all the gun owning jeep guys in it and that's who I want to ask. My wife and I have decided on getting a jeep unlimited wrangler. We've got three kids that aren't in car seats anymore and we're finally in a place where we could have a "fun" car. This means my crew cab is going to be going away to make this happen. We rented a jeep two years ago while on vacation and we instantly fell in love and have been trying to figure out how to make the change ever since. I'm sad to loose the utility of a pickup, but I know a trailer can be easily attached and do anything a 6' bed could do and more. My biggest concern is figuring the right model and options to look for. I know we want a hardtop, automatic, 4x4, & power windows, but otherwise I'm new to Jeeps and don't know what to avoid and focus on.

I drive my truck off road in fields mud all the time now, so that's going to stay the same if not get much more of the same. Ideally I'd like to find some quick detach mounts for removing the top. I'm trying to figure out a way on how to keep a rifle/"pistol" secured if we get the top completely off for a family joy ride and leave it parked in a parking lot. Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

glank09

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    My JK has a Bestop underseat safe that works great for my Glock 19, extra mags, and extra ammo. I just ordered a Tuffy center console insert for my JL. There is not enough room under the seat for a safe. For rifles, the Tuffy security trunk enclosure would be the way I'd go.

There are plenty of good options out there.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Soooo I bought this.

2XlfXbc.jpg

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Extreme Terrain, 4wd.com, and Morris 4x4 have been good for me to deal with. Quadratec seems a little higher on items, and I have a friend who had horrible dealings with them on a top. If your buying used, be careful from 2007 to 2012, some of those V-6s burn some serious oil when they get close to 100,000. I'll stick to my Jeep, a 2004 Unlimited, it only has 2 doors, BUT it has that 4.0 INLINE....the Legend!!

Top Bottom