• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    While I appreciate a minimalist viewpoint, I don’t get it. You didn’t say anything

nevermind, it finally showed up on my iPad. I retract my statement immediately above this one.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I will add to my original post the 410. If it were cheaper, or as cheap, I could see it, but not at the cost it comes in at. If I can even find it. I think somebody upthread said pretty much the same thing.
    Killed a jillion rabbits with the .410.

As to the cost, load a few boxes you’ll find out.
    I can load 3 - 4 boxes of 12 ga. In the same time.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Read the whole thread, don’t understand the 40 sw hate.

But saying that I’ve never shot mine. Own a few, G***** Mod. 22’s. But I’ve never shot a G****

Is it the round? Or am I missing something? Seems to me to be a fair compromise, but I’m mistaken a lot. :dunno:

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Forgot, rounds I don’t like!

The 30 cal. In the M-1 Carb. Almost got my dad killed in Korea. Bad round, poor self defense cal. round.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Redhawk. It will handle anything I'm willing to shoot. For some reason I thought it would be fun to drive a 255gr at 1k fps. It was like high fiving a sledgehammer.
    Omg, that’s hilarious. I wanted to chime in and when I heard that, I remembered a friend of a friend going bear hunting in Alaska. He had a 4” ported smith in. 460 and asked me if I wanted to shoot it. So I did at almost dark, I thought the end of the barrel exploded and the recoil sucked, so no thanks for me on that one. Yeah, high fiving a sledgehammer is accurate in that regard as well.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru

But saying that I’ve never shot mine. Own a few, G***** Mod. 22’s. But I’ve never shot a G****

Is it the round? Or am I missing something? Seems to me to be a fair compromise, but I’m mistaken a lot. :dunno:

I think it might boil down to the Chevy, Ford, Dodge argument. I have a .40 that I shot uspsa with. A factory smith m&p, the recoil is kind of snappy with full on defensive loads but not unmanageable. Honestly the pistol I shoot the best is my smith model 15 but it’s hard for me to reload fast.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Forgot, rounds I don’t like!

The 30 cal. In the M-1 Carb. Almost got my dad killed in Korea. Bad round, poor self defense cal. round.
    Really? It carries as much energy at 100 yds as a .357 mag at point blank range. Not as effective as the -06 in a Garand but not wimpy either. My dad had one in Korea also...it was not effective because they didn't give him any ammo and he went into the war as a knife fight. Given bullets things would have been better.

Mandatory bullets I don't like...those that I don't own; don't necessarily dislike them just don't own them, so .40 S&W (no hate just no ownership).

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I got rid of 380 because it was smaller but more expensive than 9mm. I dislike 45LC just because so many guns I'd like to have come available in that caliber but I refuse to get into another one. Like why chamber anything in 44-40 when 357 and 44 are available??

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central

Easiest way to find out is go shoot one of them, lol! I'm not sure why you wouldn't...it's not like a G22 is a collector's item! I'm not really a Glock guy, or a .40 guy for that matter, but if you haven't tried it for yourself, you're definitely missing something. They're decent guns and it's a capable defensive round...both do what they're designed to do effectively, but there's also better stuff out there.

I was issued a P229 in .40 for a number of years. Good gun, and it handled the round very well. The Glocks I've shot in .40 tended to be snappier...not unpleasant, but just a hair less controllable than the Sig. The Glock 22 specifically had some issues with reliability when a weapon light was mounted, but I think those were resolved in the Gen 4 version and later.

IMO the .40 is just not enough better than the 9mm to justify the diminished capacity, increased expense, and increased recoil. There's nothing wrong with the round itself...agencies just realized that modern 9mm loadings were just as terminally effective with a host of other benefits.

The thing I truly do hate about .40 is when the brass gets mixed in with my 9mm in the tumbler. When 9mm brass nests inside of a .40 and jams in there with the walnut media, it's a huge pain in the butt to get out!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    7.62x39

Not enough mass, not enough velocity, narrow useful range for bullet selection, and everyone thinks its the greatest thing since sliced bread. Yet it has gone on to be fixed with 5.45x39, 9x39, and 6.5 grendel, which are all vastly better performing cartridges, proving that it is the worst compromise of all worlds.

Federal american eagle is the weakest loading in 5.7, only achieving around 1500fps, with a bullet intentionally designed to have bad penetration characteristics. SS197 is one of the most common rounds available and is putting out 1/3rd again the energy on target. SS195 Gets you most of the way to normal 5.7 performance and is also one of the most common loadings available. SS198 is pretty easy to pick up and that's a solid performer in 5.7. The boutique ammo market exists due to laws and fear of the ATF potentially banning anything that performs like it should.

In the boutique world you can expect penetration through a 3A vest, over 16" of penetration afterwards, and a wound track significantly larger than a 9mm hollow point. Which demonstrates what the round is capable of, if companies would stop being so scared of the ATF.

And cost is more on the 45-50 cents per round range.

The main appeal is the capacity, weight, and lack of recoil.
    sgammo shows the American Eagle stuff at $0.70/round if you buy it in a 500 round case. SS198 is $1.12/round for a 500 round case.

Personally, I feel like I can fulfill the role of 5.7 more effectively with .223 for rifles, 9mm for handguns, and .22LR for plinking, with a lot of money left over and a wide variety of better platforms to deliver it. It was an interesting idea in theory, it just has never materialized into a practical solution on the civilian market.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Don’t hate all the newer yuppie stuff, just disappointed the industry wastes time, money and resources on all these koolaid cartridges when they could make us more of the sensible stuff.

Not only is this industry fickle cartridge caper designed to sell more guns and magazine ads, but to screw with changing packaging and introducing toy calibers in the middle of the largest ammo and component draught in decades hurts the real sportsman.

If the cartridge isn’t over 50 years old, it does nothing for me. I wish back in the day we infused resources into the .38 Super since it is a real American cartridge unlike the 9mm. The .38 Super is also ballistically better and more accurate in my experience as well.

.357 Magnums in small handguns has a law of diminished returns. For me, it belongs in guns weighing more than 4 lbs. at the least. It is a sweet rifle round.

.38 special is perfect.

.45 ACP is perfect.

Seems to me the best and most practical .243 round is still a .243 Winchester. It also takes a real rifleman with field skills (part of the fun) to hit your target at vast ranges and conditions with the .30-30 or .45/70. It’s the challenge not the convenience.

.45 Colt is history speaking with every trigger pull and one has no problem seeing the holes.

.44 Special is fun and efficient.

.41 Magnum is better suited to guns, and a tiny bit flatter shooting with a more complete use of energy than the .44 Magnum. It is also the newest cartridge I enjoy.

.44 Magnum is as much power with the least abuse you could ever need.

.270 Winchester and .22-250 Remington have earned every bit of praise in my 50 years of shooting them.

.22 S,L, and LR and WMR are good enough for me.

Now, somebody ask about shotgun shells.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    As strictly a groundhog cartridge the .22-250 might be ideal.
    But past 300 yards, the .243 proly wins. Not a .22-250 fan, had one.......sold it.
    Inherited one, trying to decide if keep or rebarrel (new .22-250 bbl or go .243?)

Never been a .270 fan. .30-06 is boring but works. Oddly I just don't like the looks of most long action cartridges.
    Rather than get one in the middle, I'd get one on either side.............
    .25-06 and 7mm Rem mag :)
    But for a .25 cal I'm looking moreso at .257 Weatherby mag.
    A Browning B78 or 1885 in .25-06 could change my plans.
    Or maybe a Ruger #1 LOL

Yes, platform influences cartridge choice.

.44 magnum is fine, but arthritis might cause a drop to lesser.
    Could go w .44 spcl I guess. Hard cast wide nose supposedly works well on critters.

.41 magnum is a tweener, and I never liked it.

Liked .45 acp loaded hot, loved em in my Colt 1911.
    Times change.
    By my thinking now, I wanted higher capacity for defensive reasons.
    so went to 9mm high cap rigs.

But a 10mm 1911 would be a fun range toy/deer gun.

Many people dislike the .22 magnum, I love it in a rifle for close varminting.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Not a .223 fan even though it beats .222 rem easily.
    But IMHO a .222 Rem 700 VS w 24" bbl, good wood, is a classic groundhog rifle.

Ah, the good old days when we had groundhogs and farmers said " go get em".

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I would agree with 45 colt. I hardly ever see it for sale, when I do it is expensive and seems to be mainly cowboy action wimpy stuff. Seems like a reloaders cartridge now to me.
    Your right on both parts but......
    If your a handloader and have the proper pistol you can load some grizzly bear moose takin nuclear loads from he!l...alot of fun. But don't blow up granddaddys colt

Top Bottom