• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    Assembled the upper today. Installed the barrel, adjustable gas block, gas tube, compensator, hand guard, scope and mounts.

The M4E1 Aero upper however, due to its dimensions near the pivot pin, necessitated machining some clearance in my No Mar vise block, prioer to barrrel assembly.

Modified No Mar

Barrel Install

Seekins Gas Block

Still awaiting the BUIS and Bipod

JMT and AERO

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    I am gathering parts for my first ever AR build, and first ever AR in general. I chose the same upper and hand guard, and I picked up an Aero lower to go with. That's the only three parts I have so far but I have other parts picked out!

It will be a while yet, but I'm going with an 18" also so I enjoyed looking at your build. Thanks for all the pics and info, one of these days I'll have something at least similar; though different.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    Im glad that you enjoyed it Razer... Its been a fun build... I enjoy the building.

Today I installed my offset BUIS, Bipod with EZpan and EZ level, and checked my headspace.

Last edited:

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    Well, I bought this damn sexy Tool Craft BCG, lifetime warranty, excellent staking, mirror NiB finish... Disassembled it, lubed, checked the gas rings, reassembled...

Tossed it in the new rifle, and after going into battery, it would not come out. It locked up in battery.

Separated the receivers, jimmied the BCG out... Tried it several more times, no good. It is off just enough as it rotates to disengage the lugs, that it won't unlock.

So, I installed a competitors bolt (new as well) in the Tool Craft bolt carrier, works fine. Very smooth. Not a hint of binding.

So, I am having the worst luck ever with BCGs. Two that had basically no staking, and rough finishes... And now, what is supposed to be one of the best BCGs with an out of spec bolt.

Range day cancelled.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    Time to quit buying the "best" BCG's and just buy one that works.

I have those too... But with those, you need to buy a staking tool, because they don't stake them for ****. Then, after 200rds, the gas keys depart the carrier.

I got a smoking deal on the Tool Craft... The same price as a PSA BCG... So, I didn't pay a great deal for it, as they are currently on sale, free ship... So, what did I have to lose? At least they have a 100% Lifetime Warranty. Which I am using before firing a round.

I built this weapon to be what I WANTED, not what I NEEDED.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Nice build fizzer. I have two more builds I want to finish. I am having a hard time deciding how to build them though. They will be build number 6 and 7 for me. I will probably end up selling them at some point so I am not sure I want to drop a ton of money into them.

Thinking of a M4 but I really like mid-length gas system and fixed stocks. I have always liked the look of the M16A1 too. But what would sell well....

I usually spend money on barrels and triggers but that gets costly and I'm not sure I would get the money out of them at sale time.

I know I'd like to order the barrel and triggers at lease very soon.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    This thing has slowed to a crawl.

When properly torquing the handguard screws to 19 in/lb, one of the screw heads popped off. So, that necessitated drilling out the screw, and cleaning up with a tap. Now I've got new harware coming in from another source. This is the third instance of an Aero handguard screw cap twisting off that I've personally seen. Crap hardware?

The new BCG won't be here til next weekend. So that is on hold.

I leveled my scope today, and found an annoyance with the Aero mounts. Since they hinge at the top, and clamp at the bottom, as you torque the scope mount, it rotates the scope to the right. So, in order to level it, it's trial and error, compensating for the twist with a left bias, torquing, and checking level. It is level, but it takes time.

i bought a cool tool this week. The FAT Wrench. It is a 10-60 in/lb torque wrench for firearm work... Very handy for all of these small fasteners that require proper tightening.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    Took my SPR into Parabellum today for her first trial...

Adjusting the the gas block was very easy, and it makes the rifle so smooth! Adjusting the gas, sighting the scope and the offset irons, took perhaps 20rds.

I replaced my bent BCM charging handle with the Strike Industries extended latch handle... For $32, I won't spend close to $50 on another BCM.

The new Toolcraft BCG from APOC ran flawlessly.

Ended up putting three rounds through a hole smaller than my wife's pinky finger. I am so pleased with my first full build! I am totally addicted.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Please keep us posted on how it shoots. I'm very instead to see how the barrel holds up. I tried 5 times today to call Spinta and get some info but I kept getting the answering machine. It appears the barrel is a BCA but wanted to see what Spinta themselves said.

*** got through late this afternoon. Guy on the phone was very nice and informative. These barrels are made in house and they have a Facebook page detailing their company!

Last edited:

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    How do you like the composite lower? Is it holding up well? All my lowers are billet and I was looking into the composite but not sure if it will hold up in the long run.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    I have two composite lowers, and they have been rock solid. I inspect them after each outing, but I have had no issues thus far. I only use JMT lowers, so I cannot speak to the materials or reinforcement of the other brands.

Spinta Precision... I did have an issue with a BCG, I wasn't happy with the lack of staking, so I sent it back. They replaced it, and the replacement wasn't to my satisfaction either. Now, some folks probably would have been happy with either of them. They paid shipping each time, even after I offered to pay shipping. They were always very customer centric and even called to discuss my BCG issues with me.

The barrel is new, really new, so it will be a very long time before I can comment on the wearability of the rifling. However, I will say that the feed ramps were perfect. It was packaged insanely well. Threads were sharp and clean. No burs. For $118 shipped, Wylde chambered, fluted barrel.... I'm very happy.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    I did experience what most Aero M4E1 upper owners have... The FWD assist is held in place with a screw, not a pin. Which I like, however it has no thread locker on it, and loosens after firing. I removed it today, primed the surfaces, and used blue Loctite.

I just purchasd some JP trigger and hammer springs for both of my ARs. I also picked up an Aero handguard for my other AR, as well as another Seekins gas block.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    Installed a JP enhanced reliability spring kit. Very nice. Zero creep, much lighter than the stock EPT.

I did install the same kit in my carbine, and noticed my hammer pins are a little loose... So, I'm installing some oversize pins to see how that works. Not happy with that trigger at all, the slop on the hammer creates noticeable creep now, which I never noticed with the heavier springs.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    I love it them, I have two currently. One on this SPR and one on my carbine. Both have been flawless. The JMT lowers are composite, so getting a smooth finish pass is very easy. My finish passes only remove .003" of material per pass anyway, so it leaves a nice finish.

I did install .156 pins in my carbine today, as the holes were always a bit oversize for the hammer. This required honing the trigger and hammer pin holes so that the larger pins would fit through them. All in all, an easy process.

Top Bottom