• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I have been considering an ankle holster for my Glock 42, and have never had or used one. How many here have used them? What are the disadvantages, especially as far as staying in place, and being comfortable enough to wear? Who are the better makers and which are the best models in your experience?

Last edited:

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I have a Glock 26 in a Galco ankle glove. I carry it every day no matter what I'm doing, with the only exception being the rare occasion that I'm walking through water deep enough to get it wet. I only notice it when I'm NOT wearing it. It takes a little longer to get to than a traditional holster, but it's my backup.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I have a Glock 26 in a Galco ankle glove. I carry it every day no matter what I'm doing, with the only exception being the rare occasion that I'm walking through water deep enough to get it wet. I only notice it when I'm NOT wearing it. It takes a little longer to get to than a traditional holster, but it's my backup.

I really like the Galco`s, and they had one I really wanted to try for my Glock 42, but they didn`t make that particular holster to fit that gun, I was really disappointed too.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I carry a j frame Smith in a Galco Ankle Glove most every Sunday. It stays in place without any problems at all The only issue I have is it can get warm after awhile and then that can cause some itching.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I like using an ankle holster.
    it is much harder to detect.
    I found the best way to access it was to knee down.
    First it makes you a smaller target.
    second it is easier to get at.
    both ways leg Horizontal or Vertical.

Huntinfool

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    I carry a G27 everyday in a Fobus ankle holster. Sometimes its my primary weapon, but a lot of times it's my BUG. Same mags fits both.

It rides there without even knowing its there. Not the most smallest setup, but the pants I usually wear, make it easy enough to loosely cover.

Like the above poster's have stated, its not the fastest to access, but the concealment more then makes up for that. If I think there is an above average reason I might need a gun for defense, I just plan accordingly.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I have carried several, and so has my husband, in Galco Ankle Gloves. Sig P238, P938, and S&W Airweight 38 Special. It does take getting used to, especially on long walks, but it does open up lots of options. I can't get comfortable with any other kind of carry. In the summer, as long as i wear jeans, it works with sandals, in the winter, it even fits over my boot. They also make extensions for boots, but i don't need one.
    When the Sig P938 came out, i couldn't find a Galco Ankle Glove made for it, but i was able to go try quite a few different ones, and found one that worked.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    I use the Galco ankle holster for the Glock 27. Ankle Carry is not my preferred method of carry. But on the days that I am at home on the couch watching football, I feel ankle carry is a bettter option. It comes down to accessibility. But back to the holster. Quality is top notch. I don't own the ankle lite version they make, but the bigger version (ankle glove)I have works with the S&W Shield also.

Last edited:

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I use a cheap Uncle Mikes Sidekick ankle holster for my Kahr CM9 and it works great, even forget it's on sometimes.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Ankle carry is not my first choice but I do it probably 4-6 times per week. I have two Galco Ankle Gloves for a Glk 26 and a Smith J frame. These are top quality holsters. The one for the Glock is about 4 years old and still tight and in excellent condition.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I have a Fobus for my G-27 for winter carry (works best over an 8" boot) and it functions just fine.

Typically, I will wear it when going to church or over to someone's house who is not so 'favorable' towards guns...just to eliminate any potential conflict while we're there.

Will I go without one...No!

Will I conceal it in such a manner that it doesn't purposefully create conflict...Yes!

Admittedly, access is somewhat slower than a hip-carried, OWB holster...but at least I have one with me and am better prepared than if I did not!

Life's full of choices...consider your options.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I have been considering an ankle holster for my Glock 42, and have never had or5 used one. How many here have used them? What are the disadvantages, especially as far as staying in place, and being comfortable enough to wear? Who are the better makers and which are the best models in your experience?
    If you buy one, don't go cheap. Make sure to get one that has a good and soft backing to it, otherwise your lower leg will take a beating.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Ankle carry IMHO is better than no carry, now don't get me wrong, it can get you shot in the top of the head, as you bend down to get to your pistol.
    I carry a G-24 in a De Santis Apache sometimes that carried my G-27 for years, consider it downsizing.
    When driving long distances depending on the area of travel I like to Ankle or heaven forbid, fanny pack it.
    Getting out of the vehicle for gas and restroom that works for me, but............any serious running around away from the vehicle for a while and its back to IWB.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I use a Galco Ankle Glove, G26 as BUG, use a G19 as primary with two spare G17 mags.

Lol, starting to see a trend...

I just ordered another ankle glove (G26) and paid $63.63 out the door for it. Heck of a deal!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    problem with a custom molded holster, IS it is a custom holster.
    Change guns you need another custom molded holster.
    Change the configuration like add a laser and it is worthless.

blakeelee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Brownsburg
    I use one. It is far more comfortable if you wear boots that go above your ankle. otherwise, the muzzle is always resting on your ankle. Im a service electrician, so it works out great for me. Just practice your draw a lot. Not having a gun on your hip is a severe disadvantage. I use the destantis die hard ankle holster.

Top Bottom