• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bjswifty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    I have been buying ammo lately in the 380auto caliber knowing it is a more expensive caliber and with the thought of ammo prices only go up and never down. Can someone provide me with some suggestions of storage? I want to keep it locked up, and my two shelf safe is now starting to become full. I didn't think ammo cans can be locked without modification, so my next thought was to just find a large box with a lid that cab be padlocked. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I rock the box with a lid that can be pad locked. It holds another container that holds all my ammo, plus space for some targets, staple gun, clay pigeons, metal spinners, and other tools or things I take to the range. Just throw the big box in the back, guns in the cab and I'm ready to go.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    All of my surplus ammo cans have a spot for a padlock. A .50 caliber can should hold a LOT of .380.

I've seen folks use simple metal toolboxes for lockable storage as well. That would give you more volume.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You can buy a stack on metal gun cabinet for just over $100. I found some heavy duty lockable plastic chests at Rural King, now they dont sell them anymore here. Dry boxes are lockable.

bjswifty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Ok I guess I didn't take a close enough look at the ammo cans last gun show, I didn't think they could be padlocked. I'll look closer next time, haha.
    Thanks all!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It looks looks like the other posters answered your question. So I will divert a little.....I am curious why an ammo can needs a padlock?

I am probably not thinking it through, but if theft is the concern, shouldn't the ammo can be locked to something secure too? If I grabbed your padlocked ammo can, couldn't I remove your padlock at my leisure?

bjswifty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Sloughfoot: I have always kept my firearms and ammo locked up, not for fear of theft but to secure them from my children. Both my kids know about and have either handled or shot all of my guns but I guess they are locked up because of them. If I were to start an ammo collection I would want it to also be secured.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    What if you built a free standing shelving setup, and put a lockbar across the fron of it? That way you could have a way to store all the ammo cans unlocked, but they would still be secure.

bjswifty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Very nice suggestion elecyronrider! That way I could have multiple cans with one lock for them all! I guess if I were to some day get a rifle safe that could even hold ammo. I don't goto the extreme of the keeping ammo and guns locked away seperately so a large safe will do the trick but I can't justify getting one (yet). Hehe

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I just added it up. If I bought a padlock for each of my ammo cans, I would have to buy 183 padlocks. And that doesn't count the ammo in cardboard boxes and 5 gallon buckets that the grandkids like to scoop up with their hands and scatter all over the basement floor. I only get upset when they mix the 30.06 and the 308. Lord knows I hate sorting that out after they go home..I think that is why they created the 30 pack of beer...

I need to start shooting some of that stuff up........Or start selling it.

For the Feds looking at this post, I assure you that I have absolutely no mens rea. I am kind of an ammo hoarder over the last 40 years or so. I just keep reloading the brass.......

Last edited:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Another thing to consider is whether you will be trying to resell later. If not, taking the ammo out of box and 'pouring it' into a nice sized ammo can allows for a large quantity of rounds per 50 cal ammo box. I have about 800 rounds of 7.62x25 and keep it loose in an ammo box with 2x 50 round plastic boxes. Ive been filling them up when I hit the range, then bringing the plastic boxes back to refill. Some just store a couple hundred rounds in ziplock bags and pile the bags in. Eitherway, you can assume atleast half the storage space needed by unboxing ammunition. And of course, don't hide them in your fireplace.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    You can buy a stack on metal gun cabinet for just over $100. I found some heavy duty lockable plastic chests at Rural King, now they dont sell them anymore here. Dry boxes are lockable.
    Used one of these and built wooden shelves. Out of 2x8's, it holds lots of round and keeps everything locked up and safe.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    64   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    ammo storage

I told my wife to empty out a closet, and she did {as i threatened to leave all my ammo cans laying out for all to see}:D but as i went the room she emptied i ended up turning it to a gun room, so the closet is now lockable as i huge permanent safe

Top Bottom