• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TechJunkie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    At My Computer
    I am looking to put night sights on my Shield 9mm. I am looking at the Ameriglo SW-745 night sights and the Trigicon HD sights. I have searched and searched and I have turned up empty on comparisons between these two.

I like the fact that the Ameriglo SW-745's have white rings around the rear sight for daytime use though I can't say that this is better or worse than the Trijicon HD's not having the white rings.

It is my understanding that Ameriglo uses Trijicon lamps.

I know that Trigicon warranties their sights for 12 years. I could not find warranty information on the Ameriglos. I have sent an email to them to find out.

The Trigicon HD's are significantly more expensive making me wonder what the difference are. I have also not had as much luck finding many reviews on the Ameriglo SW-745 sights.

I am aware that there are many other types of night sights and configurations, however, these being my first and being used to the three dot sight picture I figured it was better to stick with one of these than spending the money on something I am not used to and having difficulty using them.

Any input on the Ameriglo SW-745s or Ameriglo's in general compared to Trigicon would be very helpful.

Picture of Ameriglo SW-745:
    Ameriglo SW-745.jpg

Picture of Trigicon HD:
    Trigicon HD.jpg

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    the big difference to me, and it's a big one for me, was that the painted ring on the front sight on the ameriglos is exposed vs the trijicons which are sealed or jeweled. It seems the trijicons are built a bit better, so they are my choice.

A lot of people try to say the HD fronts are the same as the Ameriglo's, and unless they have changed very, very recently they are not. Similar, but not the same.

TechJunkie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    At My Computer
    the big difference to me, and it's a big one for me, was that the painted ring on the front sight on the ameriglos is exposed vs the trijicons which are sealed or jeweled. It seems the trijicons are built a bit better, so they are my choice.

A lot of people try to say the HD fronts are the same as the Ameriglo's, and unless they have changed very, very recently they are not. Similar, but not the same.

Thank you for the feedback. What gets difficult is not being able to see each in person. I wasn't sure about the front sight because Ameriglo offers just the front sight as seen in this picture:

Ameriglo Front.jpg

This one has the white lettering on it and says Trigicon though they are from Ameriglo. I have seen this site on some pictures of the SW-745 and then I see some pictures of the SW745 as the one I first uploaded.

Decisions, decision, decisions.

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I think they are stamped Trijicon, at least the three sets of ameriglos I had have been. I think they are stamped because of the tritium vials, which are made by trijicon.

You won't be disappointed with Ameriglos, I just like the HD's a bit more.

TechJunkie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    At My Computer
    I think they are stamped Trijicon, at least the three sets of ameriglos I had have been. I think they are stamped because of the tritium vials, which are made by trijicon.

You won't be disappointed with Ameriglos, I just like the HD's a bit more.

Thanks.

When you say sealed or jeweled, can you explain to me what that means and how that makes it better such as wear or longevity? I don't want to save a dollar today to regret it later.

Thanks again.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    You can also get Ameriglo's without the white ring. I picked some up for my Glock 43. Bradis had both for that gun, so I selected the ones without to match my Trijicon's on my 19.

SW-456.jpg

TechJunkie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    At My Computer

Thank you for that. I must be getting old. I didn't see that at the bottom of the site until you posted it.

I am thinking the white around the rear sight might help with daytime shooting, though I may be wrong. It just seem the sight picture might be more like the standard sights I am used to. I read posts where some felt the rear sights without the white rings were harder to used during the day. I personally do not know as I have only had factory style sights on any of my pistols.

Do you feel that the white rings are unnecessary or that they may provide some benefit in daytime shooting?

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thank you for that. I must be getting old. I didn't see that at the bottom of the site until you posted it.

You are welcome. I spent time on their site quite a bit when looking between the Trijicon and Ameriglo when picking out sights for the last Glock 19 I got. Ultimately it came down to what was available at the time. I actually had been wanting the Ameriglo's as they were a good bit cheaper, etc, but I waited for my main LGS that I use for sights to get them for several weeks. They ended up giving me a break on the Trijicon's as the Ameriglo's seemed to be difficult to get at the time.

When I picked up my Glock 43, they had the Ameriglo's that I pictured above and so I got those. I haven't really compared them to the nth degree. I'll have to do so and see if I notice any differences. It is not the same exact gun, so there may be slight differences in sight height, etc that are just part of that. I think you would do well with either, but if price were not a factor, I'd probably lean toward the Trijicon, simply because it is their tritium vials in both, might as well go straight to the source.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks.

When you say sealed or jeweled, can you explain to me what that means and how that makes it better such as wear or longevity? I don't want to save a dollar today to regret it later.

Thanks again.

I'm guessing that he is referring to the

SAPPHIRE WINDOW
    Each Trijicon tritium lamp is capped
    with a sapphire jewel which helps to
    evenly distribute the light from the
    tritium lamp as well as protect it
    from solvents and puncture

or

PROTECTIVE CLEAR COAT
    Resists powder residue and cleaning solvents
    to keep color bright for years

referenced here:
    https://www.trijicon.com/resources/downloads/2016_Trijicon_IronSights.pdf

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I am thinking the white around the rear sight might help with daytime shooting, though I may be wrong. It just seem the sight picture might be more like the standard sights I am used to. I read posts where some felt the rear sights without the white rings were harder to used during the day. I personally do not know as I have only had factory style sights on any of my pistols.

Do you feel that the white rings are unnecessary or that they may provide some benefit in daytime shooting?

Depends on what you are used to. I prefer not to have the distraction during day time shooting. Others like the white rings.

Without the white rings on the back, during the day or light conditions, the orange dot draws your attention. At night/low light, the orange dot goes away and all 3 tritium vials really stand out.

If you are running 3 dots on other guns and like it, go with the white ring. I have 3 dots on others (where I have Meprolight sights), but am moving toward all not having the white outlines (black rear sight)

TechJunkie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    At My Computer
    Thank you WebSnyper! I really appreciate the information. It is true you never quit learning.

I can get the Ameriglo SW-745 for $97.50 and the cheapest I have found the Trijicon HD's is about $158.00. I am not sure if the Sapphire Jewel is worth the extra $60.00 though I am sure my wife would disagree! :rolleyes: If I say Sapphire Jewel in front of her she will think I am buying her birthday present. Man would she be disappointed. :):

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    WebSnyper pretty much covered what I was referring to. I haven't seen anyone have any issues with the Ameriglo's, and I certainly think they are one of the better sight manufacturers out right now, but I think Trijicon has the edge on quality.

Bottom line, if I weren't running the HD's, I'd be running something from Ameriglo. I don't like white outlines, and love the big Proglo front sights. Sights are very subjective. I ran about 5 different sets before I decided the HD's were the best for me.

I'm also one of the oddballs that likes the green/yellow fronts over the orange. :):

Kris

TechJunkie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    At My Computer
    Thank you Kris for your help as well. I am one of those guys who research things to death before I buy but there is nothing better than listening to good advice from those who have been there!

I really appreciate your input!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Ameriglos are good to go. If you like the sight picture, save yourself the money and go with the Ameriglos. They're well proven and used by LOTS of people.

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Thank you Kris for your help as well. I am one of those guys who research things to death before I buy but there is nothing better than listening to good advice from those who have been there!

I really appreciate your input!
    No problem! I am the same as you. I've spent a month researching which .22 can I want to buy. The minute I think I have it figured out, I read something and start second guessing. Nothing wrong with making educated decisions. Let us know what you decide on! Pictures are great too!

Jvernon

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think anything on the rear sight is a distraction and too busy. Black out the rear dots on the original sights with a sharpie and you'll see what I mean.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    If the lowest you can find the trijicons for is 158 you arent looking hard enough. we sell them for 139.99

With that said my personal preference would be the trijicon. They fit better on the gun and it is my favorite personal defense sight.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If the lowest you can find the trijicons for is 158 you arent looking hard enough. we sell them for 139.99

With that said my personal preference would be the trijicon. They fit better on the gun and it is my favorite personal defense sight.

Agreed, I got much better pricing on mine than $158.

Top Bottom