• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    since the guy he was looking for (previous tenant) is in jail for possession I'd say your three options have only about a 1% chance of being the reason he was there. Jail for possession means an amount more than the slap on the wrist personal use

And the problem was the drugs?
    Let's see.
    He's a loan shark, he wants his money back.
    He loaned a friend a car, he wants his money back.
    He thinks his wife is hiding in your apartment, he wants to "see" her.

Seems like the problem was a dirtbag was trying to collect. The object doesn't matter.

Glad you AND your pup are fine, and you weren't forced into a shooting scenario. The BG is lucky he wasn't shot when he forced that door open.

As noted, it might be a good idea to talk to the landlord and switch apartments. Scumbags like that don't usually take 'no' for an answer, unfortunately.

But, wait! I thought drugs were a 'victimless' crime? :facepalm:

My point was about the "victimless crime".
    If drugs were legal/illegal has no bearing.
    A guy came to his door looking for a person, and was willing to attempt to force entry.

tyler835

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the concern. We are talking with the apartment managers to see what we can do. The trigger discipline comes from the military I guess. I'm just glad it stopped where it did. I'll stay vigilant for awhile and hopefully i get some luck and I won't see him again. If a similar situation occurs and another force entry is attempted in my presence I probably won't have as much discipline next time. Today I bought a camera to set up facing the door so if there is a break in I can identify him and turn it over to police. Chances are he is in their system. But I hope it can just be done with.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    SIL put us through a bunch of that crap. She had serious issues and owed every lowlife on the west side. We were cleaning out her house when she was about to loose it to the bank and left town. Some family possessions were there. My wife called me and said 2 deviate a$$hats had pounded on the door looking for her. She would not open the door. I was already on my way and got there as they were starting to back out of the driveway.
    The conversation was most interesting and was interrupted by the arrival of 2 LEO's. These idiots were lacking credentials and had warrants. Bye bye.

We did not leave the wife alone there anymore.
    Drug related idiocy is always dangerous.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just a reminder (unnecessary I'm sure).
    INGO posts have been presented in court before.
    If you are accused of something, you do NOT want a post to show you saying you would do what you have been accused of.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Around 1am last night my dog started barking at my front door. This is normal because he lets me know when he needs to go out. I always take my gun outside my apartment with me because we do not live in the safest of areas. I stand on the balcony as he does his business. A man walks up the stairs behind my dog as he comes back up that I assume is a friend of my neighbors because they constantly have company even late at night. I get ready to turn my back and go inside as he says "hey, is mark home?" I reply that nobody named mark lives in either of these apartments. He replies with "Bull****, he lives in the apartment your dog just went into. He owes me money and I'd like to collect it" I repeated myself that nobody named mark lives at this address. (We have only been here about a month or two) he then gets belligerent and tells me I'm lying and that if I know what's good for me I better go inside and get him. I told him I'm going inside to call the police I go to pull my door shut and he pushes it open. I immediately draw on him and tell him if he steps inside this door it's all over for him. He replies with "I'll be back for my money" and he leaves in a hurry. I did call the police and the apartment managers come and come to find out the previous tenant is now in jail for possession. So I assume I was approached by a drug dealer who fronted some drugs and the guy got busted before he was paid back. Needless to say it was very scary. After it I felt sick to my stomach. I never want to use my gun for anything but shooting cans and targets But he was less than half a foot from making me use it in defense. Anybody else ever have a situation like this?

I've never been in such a situation...and it goes to show how fast something can turn bad. Sounds like you did a good job, tyler and I'm glad you're OK.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Maybe get a copy of Mark's booking photo and a local news story - print it out - tape it to your door for a month...

That said I doubt the type that would bust in your door would take the time to look/read at it, but it can't hurt unless you have company that would be disturbed by it.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Yep, Id have to commend you for having the trigger discipline to not shoot the creep when he shoved the door in. It would have probably only made the situation worse for you (assuming he lived through that mistake). Hopefully the management can get you out of that apartment, and somewhere that would keep you from having to deal with him again.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Good job, sorry scumbags like the BG live among us. He won't be back, but....he let his buddies know there is a gun in there to go after when your not home.
    Dog and lock box are nice to have.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I told him I'm going inside to call the police I go to pull my door shut and he pushes it open. I immediately draw on him and tell him if he steps inside this door it's all over for him.

Rep for you because of your restraint. I can't comment on what my reaction would be, but I will share I have a wife and kids at home.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    He forced entry and u were endangered for your life. Shoulda put him down. Now u have to watch your back at every turn and your apartment is a target. Try to break lease cuz I don't see it getting better.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Any updates, OP? Any suspicious people or knocks?
    As others have stated, I would be doing my all to request another unit OR getting out of your lease due to bad milk from the previous tenant.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Overall you done good. You came out of it safe and you don't have any unpleasant interactions with the justice system while it tries to figure out if what you did was legal. Well done.

Unfortunately the problem may not be over. My suggestions:

1. Since this is an ongoing thing, I would post no more about it, especially about what you will do or would like to do.

2. Move. Quickly. Preferably out of the entire apartment complex. Get a lawyer to help with this if necessary. In mean time demand that apartment manager beef up the locks on doors and windows. Park your dog with a friend until you can move, so that if Thugly comes back while you are not there he does not do something evil to your dog. (This would be my first priority). I didn't notice if you are married or not, but if someone else is there, move them to friends now.

3. In future, don't tell Thugly what you are about to do, threats only enrage and telegraph your actions. If you are going to shut the door and call the cops, shut the door FAST, lock it, and call the cops. If you say anything, make it distracting for him. You are not obligated to converse with or explain anything to a thug.

4. Good luck. If I read anything further, I hope it is that you are now living at an unspecified location far away from your current apartment, and that Thugly Chowderhead was caught, found to have outstanding warrants, and put in the tank for the next 30 years.

Best wishes.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Maybe get a copy of Mark's booking photo and a local news story - print it out - tape it to your door for a month...

That said I doubt the type that would bust in your door would take the time to look/read at it, but it can't hurt unless you have company that would be disturbed by it.

I LIKE!

Another vote for changing units.

As to the camera, make sure its well hidden, or the video/pics are transmitted to the DVR offsite. footage is no good if they take the camera and/or the remote image destination with them when they steal your stuff.

I would add a portable alarm system to the door. I've seen temporary ones with a keypad and a delayed entry, as well as wireless ones you can disable from outside before you open the door. Both apt friendly with no permanent damage to the doors. Bad guys tend to leave quickly when something suddenly starts making a loud racket to attract attention. (just make sure management/maintenance knows about it so they dont accidentally set it off on an unannounced visit.)

Bravo42, are you suggesting that there are no police runs to corroborate his story?

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    +1 to the OP for the trigger dicipline. (Thank You for your service to our country)
    You did the right thing, period!

Our weapons are to stop a threat. That is what you were able to do without firing a shot. Sometime it requires the next step that would have left the BG in a bad situation. You would have major issues to deal with as well. I say stand your ground. That is your home and I wouldn't let some thug run me off.

Step up your SA skills and be prepared for everything from the time you arrive to the area until you leave the area. You punked him out by making him leave with his tail between his legs. I think you made a stand and proved your intentions and he owes you his life for allowing him to walk. The odds are high in your favor that he will move on to a weaker link. These guys are intimidation masters. When you remove the intimidation they are weak.

Consider yourself on red alert for the next week then drop to orange and stay there. (We should all be on orange alert) Get some ongoing training. I meet with a group of guys every monday night and we go through training exercises with Romaine Yoder.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Around 1am last night my dog started barking at my front door. This is normal because he lets me know when he needs to go out. I always take my gun outside my apartment with me because we do not live in the safest of areas. I stand on the balcony as he does his business. A man walks up the stairs behind my dog as he comes back up that I assume is a friend of my neighbors because they constantly have company even late at night. I get ready to turn my back and go inside as he says "hey, is mark home?" I reply that nobody named mark lives in either of these apartments. He replies with "Bull****, he lives in the apartment your dog just went into. He owes me money and I'd like to collect it" I repeated myself that nobody named mark lives at this address. (We have only been here about a month or two) he then gets belligerent and tells me I'm lying and that if I know what's good for me I better go inside and get him. I told him I'm going inside to call the police I go to pull my door shut and he pushes it open. I immediately draw on him and tell him if he steps inside this door it's all over for him. He replies with "I'll be back for my money" and he leaves in a hurry. I did call the police and the apartment managers come and come to find out the previous tenant is now in jail for possession. So I assume I was approached by a drug dealer who fronted some drugs and the guy got busted before he was paid back. Needless to say it was very scary. After it I felt sick to my stomach. I never want to use my gun for anything but shooting cans and targets But he was less than half a foot from making me use it in defense. Anybody else ever have a situation like this?

Good to hear you're alright OP. You did the right thing. If I were you I would be extra vigilant while home, he could come back later (and hopefully not armed or with friends).
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^You are not in the clear yet in the slightest. Based on what you said, this guy might be back. You may want to take precautions. Best of luck and hope everything goes alright.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana

Ugly situation. Unfortunately this probably isn't over for you. Scum bag losers like this will keep coming around until he gets his money, he attacks you, or you are forced to shoot him.

Top Bottom