• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Airguns are tools and they are useful to firearms safety and training.

• Total voters

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Somehow I missed that vid. Thanks for posting. I can think of one or two other threads where that needs to be posted.

There is a lot of truth to it for sure!

On another note, I know it's not the same thing as an air gun, but I keep seeing references to airsoft. If we do that you have to include paintball. I used to love to play that. It's not "gun" related at all but it's kinda like a gateway drug I think. Plus it's just fun, and cheaper than guns!

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    In my younger days I spent a lot of time with a bunch of different air rifles and pistols. I attest my great marksman skills today to the time I spent with the air guns. So yes I would have to agree they are great training tools.

On the other hand would not recommend one to anyone. I can accomplish the same thing with a .22 and not have to pump the darn thing or break the barrel in half. There are several choices in quiet safe ammo for the .22 that can work in an urban setting. Aquilla Calibri for example. For what the air guns cost a decent .22 can be had. Also think a quality .17 cal rifle with subsonic ammo suppressed would be awesome.

All in all a firearm in .22 or .17 has a lot more versatility and capability unless a person was on a super low budget and only looking at backyard fun.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    In my younger days I spent a lot of time with a bunch of different air rifles and pistols. I attest my great marksman skills today to the time I spent with the air guns. So yes I would have to agree they are great training tools.

On the other hand would not recommend one to anyone. I can accomplish the same thing with a .22 and not have to pump the darn thing or break the barrel in half. There are several choices in quiet safe ammo for the .22 that can work in an urban setting. Aquilla Calibri for example. For what the air guns cost a decent .22 can be had. Also think a quality .17 cal rifle with subsonic ammo suppressed would be awesome.

All in all a firearm in .22 or .17 has a lot more versatility and capability unless a person was on a super low budget and only looking at backyard fun.

You may compare airgun prices to 22lr rifle prices but can you compare the ammo price, selection, and availiability?

I think air rifles are a lot of fun. Not as fun as a 22LR, but there are a lot more venue options with an air gun than a firearm, suppressed or not.

And of course there's the price and availability of ammo. Of course it's gone up from when I was a lot more into air guns, but it's still pellets are 1/3 the cost of 22LR and the shelves are rarely empty. Airsoft even cheaper and always available. Even copper coated BBs are still pretty cheap.

I prefer to plink with my 22LRs but I still get out the air guns for some back yard fun often enough.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am looking for a quiet gun that I can use in my neighborhood for pest control. Can anyone give me some options? Not looking to spend a fortune. I just want to reduce some of the wildlife numbers in my yard.

But I don't want my neighbors to know if possible. :shady:

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    gregkl......check out Midway USA they have some get deals on air rifles. The have a Stoeger .22 cal with scope and a built in suppressor for $99.95, it's at least $150 everywhere else.I have one and it works great. Remember though...like most breakbarrel rifles it requires a couple hundred round break-in period before it is real accurate, and the proper pellet.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I am looking for a quiet gun that I can use in my neighborhood for pest control. Can anyone give me some options? Not looking to spend a fortune. I just want to reduce some of the wildlife numbers in my yard.

But I don't want my neighbors to know if possible. :shady:

Here's one option.
    http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Marauder_Air_Rifle/1774

Here's one of the so called "toys"

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Evanix_Rainstorm_II_PCP_Air_Rifle/2750/6883

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Here's one option.
    http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Marauder_Air_Rifle/1774

Here's one of the so called "toys"

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Evanix_Rainstorm_II_PCP_Air_Rifle/2750/6883

Nice. I'd like to get the price point down some since it will only be used for utilitarian purposes to thin the herds of squirrels and chipmunks in my yard.

Also looks like the Gamo Shadow 1000 is discontinued.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm sorry I'm a noob, I just figured out the concepts of "bacon and rhino" and will be sure and include those into my next poll should I decide to make another one. Lol

Well not so fast. For a while we were into cheeseburgers. Realizing that as a perennial favorite, I'm not sure you can go wrong with the basic "bacon" option. However it's probably a good idea to consider the INGO seasonal options as well. That said, I think the cheeseburger season has ended.

And Rhino is always in season as well.

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    Well not so fast. For a while we were into cheeseburgers. Realizing that as a perennial favorite, I'm not sure you can go wrong with the basic "bacon" option. However it's probably a good idea to consider the INGO seasonal options as well. That said, I think the cheeseburger season has ended.

And Rhino is always in season as well.

Haha ok:laugh:

Top Bottom