All hell breaking loose on the Northwest side...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    First off, glad all the good guys are ok and none got harmed.

http://www.wthr.com/story/25560406/2014/05/20/police-action-shooting-closed-i-465-on-west-side

I do have a question though. The media reported "Two suspects fled onto I-465, were chased, stopped, and one was shot by police as he tried to run away"......I find this hard to believe. My question, does a LEO have to feel his life is in immediate danger to be justified in firing? Can he fire if he feels that fleeing person could be immediate danger to others (hostages, suicide mission or desperation)?

And please don't take this wrong. It is not meant to criticize the officers actions.....I am all for them cleaning up the city.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel

IMPD identifies suspects involved in police action shooting - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

I do have a question though. The media reported "Two suspects fled onto I-465, were chased, stopped, and one was shot by police as he tried to run away"......I find this hard to believe. My question, does a LEO have to feel his life is in immediate danger to be justified in firing? Can he fire if he feels that fleeing person could be immediate danger to others (hostages, suicide or desperation)?

And please don't take this wrong. It is not meant to criticize the officers actions.....I am all for them cleaning up the city.

You know, sometimes you have to kill them to prevent them committing suicide.

devil07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    East Side Indy

IMPD identifies suspects involved in police action shooting - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

I do have a question though. The media reported "Two suspects fled onto I-465, were chased, stopped, and one was shot by police as he tried to run away"......I find this hard to believe. My question, does a LEO have to feel his life is in immediate danger to be justified in firing? Can he fire if he feels that fleeing person could be immediate danger to others (hostages, suicide mission or desperation)?

Yes to the bolded and highlighted portion. If the person fleeing poses a danger to the public.

From IMPD General orders:
    It is the policy of this department to resort to the use of a firearm when it reasonably appears necessary in the performance of an officer’s lawful duty. An officer is approved to use a department authorized firearm in the following circumstances.

A. An officer may use deadly force when he or she has probable cause to believe that deadly force is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony or reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the officer or a third person (refer to Indiana Code (IC) 35-41-3-2 and IC 35-41-3-3).

B. An officer may use deadly force to affect an arrest of a person who the officer has probable cause to believe poses a threat of serious bodily injury to the officer or a third person (refer to IC 35-41-3-2 and IC 35-41-3-3).

C. An officer may use deadly force if the officer has probable cause to believe that deadly force is necessary to prevent the escape from custody of a person who the officer has probable cause to believe poses a threat of serious bodily injury to the officer or third person, and has given a warning, if feasible, to the person against whom the deadly force is to be used (refer to IC 35-1-3-2 and IC 35-41-3-3).

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

He pointed a gun at the officers.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Dash cams aren't a requirement? That is very troubling.

How is a jury supposed to know what happens when a traffic stop goes awry besides just believing the officer did no wrong?
    On the jury I sat on, the officers testimony and the dash cam footage were very different things.

Dash cams... Who needs em?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I guess it is all in who you believe more.

Yeah, that's ****ty.

A dash cam would ensure the innocent party goes free and the guilty party gets charged accordingly.

It's hard to believe that this isn't mandatory for a person of authority. I know if I was an officer, I'd have one whether the department supplied it or not.

He said/she said wastes too much time in court. Cold, hard evidence is quick and efficient.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Yeah, that's ****ty.

A dash cam would ensure the innocent party goes free and the guilty party gets charged accordingly.

It's hard to believe that this isn't mandatory for a person of authority. I know if I was an officer, I'd have one whether the department supplied it or not.

He said/she said wastes too much time in court. Cold, hard evidence is quick and efficient.

Cold hard evidence also acquits.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I had a fine citizen accuse me last week, in open court, of pointing my gun in his face and saying "you are in big trouble now, boy". I would love to have dash cam video of the stop clearly showing that no such thing happened. Fortunately the judge saw through his extra-chunky bull****....

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I had a fine citizen accuse me last week, in open court, of pointing my gun in his face and saying "you are in big trouble now, boy". I would love to have dash cam video of the stop clearly showing that no such thing happened. Fortunately the judge saw through his extra-chunky bull****....

All the more reason for dash cams.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    In the hood I watched a lady almost fly off the handle because some IMPD was driving fast down her street on her phone...... Apparently a relative has been getting "harassed" by 5-0

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Well thats good to know. There for a min I though I'd have to ride to work on a golf cart from the cricket field.

Top Bottom