• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    So I clicked on the Alamo Ammo banner ad on the top of the Carry Issues and Self Defense page because it said .22 ammo in stock. (I know, that's like believing Unicorn and Leprechaun sightings)
    The page comes up and I see 50 round boxes of Federal Lightning and Remington Thunderbolt for $10.95 and Remington Golden Bullet for $11.95 / 50 round box.
    Seriously, INGO is OK with them running that ad on here?? I am all for free markets, capitalism, etcetera, etcetera but that really rubbed me wrong. I can buy .22 ammo pretty much any day for .10 cents/round. I can buy it cheaper than Alamo Ammo prices from flippers.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I have no plans to buy it there 9mmfan. (9mm fan myself) I know $$$ wins out and they are paying to advertise here on INGO. I just like to think of this site as a place where Indiana gun owners can take care of/look out for each other.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    With all that money they are pulling in, they can afford to buy more advertising and support this web site among others. Low price outlets can't afford as much advertising and have to rely on word-of-mouth. It is the way of the world. If Fenway decided to switch INGO to a subscription-only model, he would be able to tell advertisers to pound sand or at least be much more picky. However, as one who is using this site as a free service, you will have to put up with advertising for it to continue.

There is a basic truism with "free" services. Since you aren't paying, then you are what is being sold. In other words, advertisers are paying for access to you.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Or we could stick it to Alamo Ammo by letting them advertise and not purchase from them. Let them pay to keep INGO going. Be the smart guy and just don't buy it. Get your panties out of a bunch while you're at it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I am all for free markets, capitalism, etcetera, etcetera but...

Sure about that?

Most sentences that start with, "I'm all for free"... and have a "but" in the middle are anything but being all for freedom. It gets worse when the words "common sense" get used.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Or we could stick it to Alamo Ammo by letting them advertise and not purchase from them. Let them pay to keep INGO going. Be the smart guy and just don't buy it. Get your panties out of a bunch while you're at it.

^^^This sounds like a fine solution^^^

Yes, I am fine with free markets and capitalism. Doesn't mean that I can't bring it to the attention of my fellow man when someone in that market is being an a$$ clown with their business.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    my first thought as a moderator is whose job would it be to monitor the ads? I think I get what you're saying like in the professions there are peer-reviewed journals which review advertisements not just studies and content. that would open up a whole new set of rules and job descriptions to decide what should and shouldn't be allowed.. while it does work for a published journal.it would just be an impossible mess for something as dynamic as an internet forum.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    my first thought as a moderator is whose job would it be to monitor the ads? I think I get what you're saying like in the professions there are peer-reviewed journals which review advertisements not just studies and content. that would open up a whole new set of rules and job descriptions to decide what should and shouldn't be allowed.. while it does work for a published journal.it would just be an impossible mess for something as dynamic as an internet forum.

I sure don't see any need to monitor the ads. I agree the site should take advantage of any advertisers willing to pony up the bucks to keep the site running. I enjoy the site, haven't contributed any funds so certainly don't feel I have a right to criticize any ads. I do have the right (and take advantage of it), to not purchase from sellers with outrageous prices. There is no one forcing me to put out any money or buy anything so Happy, Happy, Happy!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Funny how people want to tell Fenway how to run INGO when they have no stake in it and have no idea how its ad or revenue model works.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I can see where the OP is coming from, but as mentioned it's Fenway's rules. The ad is paid to keep our free site (except for Site Supporter status-mine has lapsed) up and running. So, let it be, don't buy from them and all is good. Just be glad it's not an offensive ad that keeps popping up-like a Dodge ad. GASPS!!!!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ig they are sending checks to Fenway and they are cashing I have no issue with anything they want to put up on the board. I will either show interest...read add and consider the product or completely blow the ad off and move along.

Top Bottom