• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I avoid rest stop anyway. They tend to be too rapey for my liking.

I've been through Alabama once or twice, but never stopped at a rest stop there when I've been driving. That said, when driving elsewhere, I have stopped at the rest stops once in a while when too tired to keep going. Pull in, make sure doors are locked, set phone alarm for an hour to an hour and a half, and ensure my pistol is close at hand before taking a nap. I don't like the rest stops, but with proper precautions, I've never had any problems in them.

Must be those rakish good looks of yours, rhino. They just can't resist you.

ao3sh.jpg

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    It's unclear from the article exactly when this policy went into place, but I believe they have restricted carry in any of their buildings at the rest areas for some time. There is not a GFZ sign into the rest area but there is one on the actual rest rooms.

It is the example of the Tyranny of the Bureaucracies. At every level they will push the boundaries of the 'letter' of the law to create whatever spirit of the law they want. They need to be reigned in at every level.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rest areas are tourist traps.

Yeah, for raping.

I've been through Alabama once or twice, but never stopped at a rest stop there when I've been driving. That said, when driving elsewhere, I have stopped at the rest stops once in a while when too tired to keep going. Pull in, make sure doors are locked, set phone alarm for an hour to an hour and a half, and ensure my pistol is close at hand before taking a nap. I don't like the rest stops, but with proper precautions, I've never had any problems in them.

Must be those rakish good looks of yours, rhino. They just can't resist you.

I can't argue with the truth, sir.

The time for banning ALL gun free zones has come.

Correct! However, I suggest that we consider replacing them with Rape-free Zones. I am 100% opposed to being raped.

Peter Potamus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Alabama's Governor has ordered all signs removed no later than 5pm local time today. It appears they are now all gone. The following is from handgunlaw.us

Alabama Governor on 7/24/15 ordered the ALDOT to remove all the No Gun Signs from the RestAreas along the Interstates. ALDOT stated all the signs would be removed by 7/25/15. This puts to rest theALDOT Posting all the buildings in Rest Areas in Alabama

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Alabama's Governor has ordered all signs removed no later than 5pm local time today. It appears they are now all gone. The following is from handgunlaw.us

Good for the Governor of Alabama. He should next order the director of ALDOT and ALDOT's legal counsel wear big red clown noses for a month.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Good for the Governor of Alabama. He should next order the director of ALDOT and ALDOT's legal counsel wear big red clown noses for a month.

LOL! That would be a case of punishment fitting the crime.
    "Act like a clown, I'll make sure you look the part."
    Were it my call, I'd probably add the big floppy shoes to the ensemble.

Rep added!

Blessings,
    Bill

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    When I drove a semi that was always my cat-nap stop.

My kids (all of them ranging in ages from 22 through 2) have all had their moment where being able to walk up next to a space ship was the coolest thing about our Florida trips. Hopefully Alabama gets their head out of the sand before my next trip. I won't stop somewhere that it is advertised the presence of unarmed victims.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    So, stop at one of the thousands of gas stations or restaurants in the state to pee. Buy a candy bar or some gas while you're there. They'll be grateful for the business. There are only 8 rest areas in the state. Easy to bypass.
    Rest stops are dangerous to stop at anyways so why bother?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Rest stops are dangerous to stop at anyways so why bother?

I might give them a pass, but I've never had an issue at any of the ones I have stopped at, even to overnight. Never have had any friends or family that have had an issue, either. In and out, when we do stop in and most of them have been nice and clean, well maintained and everyone seems on the up and up. Rest stops are no more dangerous than anyplace else, IMO.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom