• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Anyone have an extra recoil spring assembly and pistol grip screw? I've looked everywhere except under VitaminK's futon, and we all know you don't look under VitaminK's futon. . .
    I have a grip and grip screw left over from changing out the grip on my Maadi. I'll bring them along. I should have a recoil spring assembly around here somewhere too, but I can't find it at the moment. (and I've never been anywhere near Vitamink's futon :):) If I find it, I'll bring it along just in case someone needs it.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    they say there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow...... but they are wrong.... vitamink's futon is at the end of the rainbown, and there is always a unicorn tied to it.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Chezuki has volunteered to take over the lead on this for me. Its still happening as planned! Sorry I had to bail but a huge thanks to Chezuki for stepping up!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Chezuki has volunteered to take over the lead on this for me. Its still happening as planned! Sorry I had to bail but a huge thanks to Chezuki for stepping up!

Excellent!

Sorry you can't attend Nick, but if there is a break in the action at your family function you should try to drop by and at least check it out. Hopefully we can do this again maybe in the fall, and you'll be able to go.

That said, Mr. Chezuki, what time are you able to open the gates?

Also, how late is this thing going on?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Excellent!

Sorry you can't attend Nick, but if there is a break in the action at your family function you should try to drop by and at least check it out. Hopefully we can do this again maybe in the fall, and you'll be able to go.

That said, Mr. Chezuki, what time are you able to open the gates?

Also, how late is this thing going on?

I was planning on being there by 8:00 to start getting set up. Does that work ok for everyone? As far as how late, we can play it by ear. A lot of it will depend on the schedules of the people bringing tools.

Mango

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Hook the two arms of the spring together over top of the hammer and install the FCG as one assembly. Once in place, use a pick or screwdriver to "un-hook" them and they will snap right in place.

Like this:

405778263.jpg

Thanks, but it's the BHO spring that's the problem, getting it latched and through the pin that gives me fits.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    AK Build Party list updated. Please let me know if your name is on the list and your status has changed. I hope more of the MAY come people will change to CONFIRMED.

Careful with crossing the spring arms. I would use a zip or garbage tie to make sure they stay crossed. It has slipped off before on me and smacked my fingers and stomach. Then you pull the hammer and spring in and out of the receiver as one piece. You might have to squeeze the spring sides to force it tighter around the hammer pin hole to get the assembly in. Cut the tie when you are completely done. It is a lot safer that way.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    AK Build Party list updated. Please let me know if your name is on the list and your status has changed. I hope more of the MAY come people will change to CONFIRMED

I added the event to the INGO calender as well.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2013-3-3&e=582&c=1

Also to kind of reiterate, if you have committed to bringing tools and for some reason cannot make it, please let TheWabbit or myself know so we can try to make other arrangements.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    You can take me off the list. I will not be getting off call, so I am stuck near home. I'm hoping this is a big success, and leads to another one that I can make. Take lots of pics and vid for us big L no-shows.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    AK Build Party list updated. Please let me know if your name is on the list and your status has changed. I hope more of the MAY come people will change to CONFIRMED.

Careful with crossing the spring arms. I would use a zip or garbage tie to make sure they stay crossed. It has slipped off before on me and smacked my fingers and stomach. Then you pull the hammer and spring in and out of the receiver as one piece. You might have to squeeze the spring sides to force it tighter around the hammer pin hole to get the assembly in. Cut the tie when you are completely done. It is a lot safer that way.

OK, I am going to get the right month this time! :D

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Yes IndyDave, please come this month :)

Eric, you are off.

I'm going to take video and pictures for the group. I hope others will also record so I can edit when I'm done. I invited MAC/full-auto to also record but he can't make it to Indianapolis this weekend.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    pre heat flats?

Definitely attending! Hey just for informational purposes, should I pre-heat my flats before bringing them to be bent? Anealing, I believe it's termed. I have seen online that you get better bends that way with more precise corners. Any advice either way yes or no would be appreciated. Also, I have 90% of a kit ready to go if the mail works on time, and am wondering if I can do the assembly there or if I need full 1600 degree heat and quench for hardening and not worry about putting it together. Thanks :dunno:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Definitely attending! Hey just for informational purposes, should I pre-heat my flats before bringing them to be bent? Anealing, I believe it's termed. I have seen online that you get better bends that way with more precise corners. Any advice either way yes or no would be appreciated. Also, I have 90% of a kit ready to go if the mail works on time, and am wondering if I can do the assembly there or if I need full 1600 degree heat and quench for hardening and not worry about putting it together. Thanks :dunno:

I didn't have any trouble with mine bending it just as it came. AK Builder insists that the issue is the dies being properly constructed. The big issue is getting the receiver properly heat treated after welding the rails and before assembly.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Don't preheat. The trigger pin holes will need to be reamed a little after bending. If you preheat, you just have to do it again. As Dave said, the corners come from a quality jig, not heating.

I have seen builders mention they have installed the trunnions and then spot heat treated the ejector and pin holes. I don't think it is ideal but can be done. Heat treatment should cool over night.

I'll repost this because I helped a guy realize he was missing parts for his build.

Most people can count the big parts of the AK but you should also verify you have all the pins and other small parts. The Shepard's crook can be replaced by the Red Star plate but all the other parts should be there. Make sure you have your 922r parts for the build.

ak_little_parts.jpg

Last edited:

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm very new to this site and can't come this weekend anyway. Is everyone coming an experienced gun builder or are novice invited too? I've never built anything. Shot, yes..built no. Are you guys using certain kits or?

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Anyone can come. The experience level will vary from novice to experienced builders and shooters. Some have the parts but no tools. Some have the tools but no parts but want to help.

Once you see it done the first time, building a 2nd AK is fairly easy.

Top Bottom