• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hiram762

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    New Castle
    I want an Ak74 style rifle. I want an Arsenal made one. But, they are pricey. So, I have been looking at the Century Arms made ones. Are they worth getting?? I know that C.A.I. uses quality parts. However, the builds are hit and miss. Canted sight blocks, canted gas blocks & etc. Any info would be great!! thanks!!:ar15:

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    my friends dad has one he bought (CAI) it and one of those 1080 rd cases of corrosive ammo, took it to the farm same day no lube no cleaning put 750 rds though it as fast as we could not one single malfunction, at one point the wood forarm was smoking :)

we did spray it with windex after we finnished shooting it. took it home and it cleaned up just fine

IMO the CAI guns can be very good but you just need to lay eyes on it before you by not ordering it and hoping what showes up is good :twocents:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Welcome to INGO! :ingo:

I just bought one at a local gun store. I paid a little more than it would have cost direct from Centerfire/etc., but being a CAI I wanted to check it out before I bought it. Mine was built on an Elk River reciever, but I hear that most are NDS. Horrid furniture, but the one I found was straight and has had about 500 rnds through it with no malfunctions. No keyholes out to 100 yds and that was my biggest concern.

Before and after ($25 stock kit from Apex).
    DSCF0340.jpg

DSCF0424.jpg

mskendall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    NE Indy
    I bought one from Centerfire and it was good to go. It is fairly "accurate" and has ate what it has been fed. For the price, gun and ammo, I don't think they can be beat. :twocents:

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I just bought one from JG sales, and I was really suprised in the quality compared to other Century AK's I have seen, and own. The furniture is absolutely terriable, but is functionable. The first thing I did when I got it was tear it completly down for inspection, and like I said I was suprised. No issues on my rifle, but as with anything Century your mileage may vary. Comparing it side by side to another Century built WASR, this rifle really looks much, much better. Nice even finish, clean rivit job, no sight cant, and most of all CHEAP ! I bought mine because the surplus ammo is so cheap right now, and shooting .223 means I have to spend more time reloading, then at the range. I have 2 cases of ammo on the way in from AIM that should be here early next week, keep an eye out for a range report, and review from me soon.

Canes173

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    Crown Point
    I've owned a few century made guns, definitely hit or miss. I would recommend not buying one sight unseen, unless the place will take it back if you're unhappy.
    I had a L1A1 and 2 Cetme's from century, 1 cetme SUCKED, the other 2 were great shooters.

Kollector03

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Minnesota
    CAI is hit or miss on a lot of the guns that they have built for them. Keep in mind they distribute, not manufacture. The AK-74's are a good example, some are AWFUL while others are incredible, no rhyme or reason and no guarantee that you will get a gem or a turd. I'm a FFL01 and have all but given up on CAI as a firearm vendor, but their ammo deals are hard to beat.

Best advise I can offer is look before you buy, NOTHING beats a hands on examination. If you can't see it first, insist that the shop or the seller provide a reasonable inspection period for you so you can return it if it's not to your expectations. It will cost you shipping both ways, but it is the only way to go with buying firearms on-line. If a seller won't take a firearm back as a return for a quality issue or an undisclosed fault, they may be someone to avoid purchasing from.

For my .02 cents worth, I prefer the Polish wz.88 Tantal with a fixed stock over the standard Bulgarian AK-74's being built today.

Don

Canes173

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    Crown Point
    CAI is hit or miss on a lot of the guns that they have built for them. Keep in mind they distribute, not manufacture.

They actually do both, they manufacture some of the guns they offer, and also have other manufacturers do builds for them, such as Wiselite. I would trust those guns over CAI built ones any day.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    21st Century gets in a bunch from time to time & each one is looked over by staff before going on the shelf .Got mine from there & is a great shooter ,nodak reciever if youre wondering

Kollector03

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Minnesota
    CAI is hit or miss on a lot of the guns that they have built for them. Keep in mind they distribute, not manufacture.

They actually do both, they manufacture some of the guns they offer, and also have other manufacturers do builds for them, such as Wiselite. I would trust those guns over CAI built ones any day.

I don't know about Wiselite. Had one of their M53 Belt feed Rifles (MG-42 clone) and the trunion was welded into the receiver cooked. It fired 8 rounds and locked up. Back to Century it went for a refund, no exchange thank you.

hiram762

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    New Castle
    Guys, I decided to go with an Arsenal inc. mfg. rifle, if I can find one.( why take the chance on a hit or miss rifle?I am spending a little more to make sure I get one I can trust came from a quality mfg. ) I have a local shop looking for some now. (SGL31)

Top Bottom