• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    On its way to Hawaii. Good thing the engine failed when it did, that could’ve been a much different outcome if it had taken a couple hours before fracturing.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I flew on a 777 about two years ago on my first and only trip to Europe. It was a really nice ride compared to all the 737 trips I have taken on business. I read somewhere that the 777 was the first two-engine aircraft approved for trans Atlantic crossings. They must have a lot of faith in those engines.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Upon further review, I believe you are likely correct. I had not ever seen fan failure without a great deal more shrapnel damage, but my experience was with much lower bypass ratio engines.
    The worst engine damage I ever saw was an A-10 that sucked up a turkey buzzard. We could hear the plane in the pattern by the unusual noise it was making. Pilot brought it in on a single engine. More than half of the 28 fan blades were snapped off at the roots. The rest were twisted scrap. The fan spinner was destroyed. The compressor and both high and low pressure turbines were trashed. The upper pylon was damaged, as were the inner nacelle doors and inner cowl. The entire engine and inner nacelle was coated in blood, guts, poop and feathers. The smell of cooked buzzard could be detected from 300 yards away. It was not a fun time dropping that engine.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    “External Combustion Engine.”

Now that’s funny. I’m going to have to try that one on my boss. He flew triple sevens until Delta parked them all for the pandemic, and then he went back to Airbuses.

Top Bottom