• ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    *side note*

I love it when people assume that Jesus/Christians/religious people should be complete pacifists. As if protecting yourself with "violence" is only available to "evil people".

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    *side note*

I love it when people assume that Jesus/Christians/religious people should be complete pacifists. As if protecting yourself with "violence" is only available to "evil people".

See Luke 22:36

"...if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    *side note*

If you think of the early Christian men, none of them were wusses! Danial, Matthew, Luke, well all of the disiples, Aaron, Joshua, David...ext.

Here is a great thread...(if I say so myself) about Biblical Self Defense

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...endment/34840-the_bible_and_self-defense.html

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Well, how do I describe my Mother....Hmmm...

She thinks we are nuts for buying and storing bulk food. Guns are for men, and only for hunting...not to carry daily. She's Catholic but doesn't seem to put two and two together. Not only does the bible talk about protection, it also talks about prepping. She seriously thinks I'm NUTS for prepping. She doesn't get it at all. And my sister is the exact same way. So, I'm trying to figure out how to prep for everyone.....

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Who wants to make a wager on who Mama and Sis will call if they don't have electricity for more than 24 hours? :D (besides the electric company. . . :p)

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Who wants to make a wager on who Mama and Sis will call if they don't have electricity for more than 24 hours? :D (besides the electric company. . . :p)
    Exactly! Prepping for myself and husband and child is hard enough. But if they needed it....I'd give 'em what I could!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

She thinks we are nuts for buying and storing bulk food. Guns are for men, and only for hunting...not to carry daily. She's Catholic but doesn't seem to put two and two together. Not only does the bible talk about protection, it also talks about prepping. She seriously thinks I'm NUTS for prepping. She doesn't get it at all. And my sister is the exact same way. So, I'm trying to figure out how to prep for everyone.....

Fllods, severe thunderstorms, tornados, blizzards... all these things can and do lead to widespread power outages in Indiana. And do, pretty much every year from what I've been able to find out.

It's nuts NOT to have a couple weeks (at a bare minimum) of food & water, cooking and cleaning supplies, and nice warm blankets and sleeping bags handy. Because, guaranteed, someone somewhere in Indiana will need those supplies sometime this year. You (and they) are no more and no less likely than anyone else to need them.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Rachel,

I hope, as you do, that this is the end of the snotty comments. If yours follows the same pattern my mother did, though, I would be unsurprised to find articles cut out of the paper showing how bad people have used guns against good people. This is a passive-aggressive way for antis to deal with us when they can't get their way any other way, and if they're brought up, a simple, quiet, "Bad things happen, Mom. There is evil in the world. It's my job to keep it away from my family and me." or something like that did wonders with mine. She doesn't bring it up at all any more.

Just wanted to give you the "heads up" to expect this.

Blessings,
    Bill

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I didn't read all the Post on this thread in answer to your question so my reply may be a duplicate.

With any firearm ownership comes great responsibility. By you purchasing a firearm, you are bound to learn all about it and become proficient in its use. You are also bound to know the Laws governing the ownership, carry and use of a firearm, especially for self defense or in the defense of others.

You have an extra responsibility if there a children in your household, or even children that visit your household. If not on your body, be sure your firearm is located in a safe place and away from the children.

Your family may not understand. There are many people in Our Country who think the same way. Be patient with them. Give them confidence in you and your ability to use the firearem wisely. The day may come when their lives are saved by you.

I wish you all best in your decision to purchase your firearm.

Last edited:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    R.M.

The fact is that someone has to be in charge of the safety and security of your family. If that person is you then, you do what is needed to make it happen. You are responsible enough not to take the decision lightly and do not need input from relatives on how you protect your family.

You do not need their approval. You do not need the approval of your friends. You need to put your blinders on and do what YOU decide is best for your family. When you hear breaking glass and dog barking at 3 am where will your mother and sister be?

Do what you need to do, and dont talk about it. Crime is way up in Ft. Wayne dont be a victim.

Dont sell your self short, 125lb soaking wet mother defending her daughter is certainly no easy target. You ever try picking up a barn cat?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    ....and I'm not going to settle for a stupid self defense class that, in the long run, isn't going to protect anyone.

Yeah, so...thanks again!

I wouldn't write that one off too quick if I were you unless it really is crappy, then it would be worth the effort to get a little training in one that's not crappy. Unless you are going to just walk around with your gun in your hand 24 hours a day.

I think it was Jeff Cooper said a hand gun is handy to fight your way to your rifle. I think he'd agree a little foot to groin expirience could come in handy getting time to get your gun out. Your hands and feet are always right there on the end of your arms and legs and they are always loaded.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    R.M.

The fact is that someone has to be in charge of the safety and security of your family. If that person is you then, you do what is needed to make it happen. You are responsible enough not to take the decision lightly and do not need input from relatives on how you protect your family.

You do not need their approval. You do not need the approval of your friends. You need to put your blinders on and do what YOU decide is best for your family. When you hear breaking glass and dog barking at 3 am where will your mother and sister be?

Do what you need to do, and dont talk about it. Crime is way up in Ft. Wayne dont be a victim.

Dont sell your self short, 125lb soaking wet mother defending her daughter is certainly no easy target. You ever try picking up a barn cat?
    I think it's a female thing, searching for approval from family. Mores so a mother than anything. I really counldn't care less about most other people. Mothers have a way to make a daughter feel guilty. I dont think she gets how much research I'm doing on the issue at hand. It took ME a while to agree that having/carrying a gun was the best bet to protect my daughter/husband/myself. But looking at all the options, I can't *rely* on LEO to protect me/save my life. It is what it is, but I really do want her approval. But as I stated before, I'm doing it either way.

You're right...if there ever came a time....I truely believe I'd put up more of a fight than I look like I would. I can be a bit fiesty/scrappy if I need to be. The problem is, I'm not sure if I am fast enough. One thing on my side (I believe) is, I am super tall, which means I have LONG legs/arms. And although my arms are tiny...I could def' do damage with my legs (kicking/kneeing/etc).

WTH is a barn cat.? I get a feeling you are not talking about the fuzzy, cute kind that meow's! :dunno:

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I wouldn't write that one off too quick if I were you unless it really is crappy, then it would be worth the effort to get a little training in one that's not crappy. Unless you are going to just walk around with your gun in your hand 24 hours a day.

I think it was Jeff Cooper said a hand gun is handy to fight your way to your rifle. I think he'd agree a little foot to groin expirience could come in handy getting time to get your gun out. Your hands and feet are always right there on the end of your arms and legs and they are always loaded.

I agree. But being a stay at home Mom...I dont have a lot of time/funds/babysitter. It's going to be a struggle to take a gun course alone (which *IMO* I HAVE to do)so adding a self defense class is probably way out of the question.

On the other hand.....I've been researching self defense on my own (I know it's not the BEST route). I'm studying pressure points. disarming an invader etc. I'm not sure if what I'm doing is the *right* way. But it's better than nothing, and it's all I've got!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

If your mom likes to read, have her read "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen. She may change her mind about stocking up. The scenario is someone detonating some nukes very high up and creating an electromagnetic pulse that destroys all electronics. This is actually a terrorist scenario in real life. Something else that could do it is a massive solar flare. Not as far fetched.

Congrats for taking control.

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    Hon, there comes a point in your life where you realize that what other people think doesn't matter. They do not define who you are. But for what it's worth, I think you're AWESOME!!! :rockwoot:

Ditto that. You shouldn't have to justify your actions/choices to anyone but yourself.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...WTH is a barn cat.? I get a feeling you are not talking about the fuzzy, cute kind that meow's! :dunno:

Replace "barn" with "feral"... a cat that doesn't have the comforts of a human home, regular feedings, etc., that views any other animal with the exception of her kittens as either a mate, a threat, or prey.

You don't have kitty ears and you're too tall to be prey. Go to pick that kitty up and I'll see you at the ER.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3a6ZZPLsio[/ame]

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom