• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    After the Video,READ the article.........Dad,Mom,Daughter running the Whitehouse.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Latest footage from outside the airport. Looks like a mess. Soldiers in uniform shooting wildly in the air to get people to back up. They had AK’s from the looks of it so they probably aren’t American

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    One group is unarmed, the other armed with the best military-grade weapons (from small arms to MRAPs) ... it makes a huge difference. :dunno:

There's plenty of armed groups that could have opposed the Taliban, and some are. The "legitimate" VP is on social media claiming to be reforming the Northern Alliance, which was the Taliban's biggest internal competitor pre-US Invasion.

I would note we were armed with the best military-grade weapons, as were the Soviets. This was not a military failure, it was a politics and cultural failure. The people and tools were there, but not the will or desire.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    There's plenty of armed groups that could have opposed the Taliban, and some are. The "legitimate" VP is on social media claiming to be reforming the Northern Alliance, which was the Taliban's biggest internal competitor pre-US Invasion.

I would note we were armed with the best military-grade weapons, as were the Soviets. This was not a military failure, it was a politics and cultural failure. The people and tools were there, but not the will or desire.
    Short of genocide, is there truly a path that doesn't lead to failure there? The Soviets were not as restrained as we were, and they fared no better.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Short of genocide, is there truly a path that doesn't lead to failure there? The Soviets were not as restrained as we were, and they fared no better.

Yeah, see post 802:
    I think the conventional war was very winnable. America's war machine is phenomenal at that. I think you could even argue we did win the conventional war in that we accomplished the original objectives of dismantling Al-Qaeda and capturing/killing Osama Bin Laden and then stuck around due to mission creep until we lost. It's when we transitioned into nation building the wheels came off, and killing more wouldn't have changed that.

The Soviets killed a lot more Afhans, both combatants and non-combatants, and the end result was the same. Unless we're going to argue for genocide, I don't think less restrictive ROE would have changed much globally. Locally, sure, and I'm sure the frustration of not being able to do what the military was supposed to do (wage conventional warfare) feeds into your friend's feelings. He was a hammer being asked to do a wrench's job, and that's not his failure, that's where the civilian leadership from Bush on failed them.

Not without the ability to change the politics/culture of the inhabitants. As has been pointed out by me and others, Afghanistan isn't a "nation" in the way we think of it. It's an area on a map that outsiders decided to declare a nation and it's never had an effective and strong central government.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Bidiot said nothing went wrong leaving .
    Seriously !!!
    What planet is he on ?

The sad part is people voted for him and now have blood on their hands because people are being killed in the street over there.

Nice job , you should all be so proud. :xmad:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

I would imagine that over the nearly 20 years it's made some people a great deal of money, courtesy of the American taxpayer. Maybe the only reason we were over there after the first few years. I wonder if that's something that creeps in or if it's there from the get go.

Top Bottom