• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    I "retired" my Mossberg shotgun after about 10 shots.

"Retired" my Mossberg 22mag after about 10 long years.

Swored I'd never own another Mossberg ANY THING and with in a month I got my uncle's old rifle. You guessed it, a mossberg 146 b, 22, short long and long rifle. I have to admit that is a nice rifle and shoots great. Came from the factory with an adjustable trigger.

I'll make an exception for old Mossberg bolt action target rifles made before they ever put serial numbers on them.

Other than that I don't want another Mossberg anything ever again even if they are giving them away.

I was using the word "retired" as exceeding it's life expectancy.

What was wrong with the Mossberg shotgun? The old man has a 500a, I've previously owned a 500a (sold to a friend that needed a shotgun) and I'm bringing a 590A1 home soon. The two 500a models and every other Mossberg shotgun I've ran were flawless.

Everyone makes a 1 in a million lemon. Including Remington :).

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I was using the word "retired" as exceeding it's life expectancy.

What was wrong with the Mossberg shotgun? The old man has a 500a, I've previously owned a 500a (sold to a friend that needed a shotgun) and I'm bringing a 590A1 home soon. The two 500a models and every other Mossberg shotgun I've ran were flawless.

Everyone makes a 1 in a million lemon. Including Remington :).

I'm using "retired" as in I didn't want it any more and got rid of it. The older you get, the more it feels like that is what retired really means.

The 22 mag was not acceptably accurate and overly complicated to modify. The trigger mechanism looked like it was designed by Rube Goldberg after I'd done trigger jobs on several other brand rifles and pistols. Probaly could have been done but judgeing from what a better trigger did for other guns I just didn't see how it could improve the situation enough to be worth learning and fooling with it. Easier to just get rid of it and start out with something better in every way, like a Marlin.

I heard that mossberg this and that until I finally bought one for myself. It shot so far to left of where it was aimed adjustable sights added to the rib wouldn't adjust far enough to put it on target at 30 yards. It rattled like a rock in a pop can and the trigger was lawyer proof in all 50 states. Sent it on down the road with a $20 loss on the gun and $5 worth of wasted shells. $25 was well spent learning that lesson, never buy another Mossberg.

Just last summer I had a few friends over to shoot trap and I'd been pulling targets for a half hour and one guy ask me half a dozen times if I wanted to shoot a few with his gun. Finally I let him pull a couple for me and that was all in needed. Tried my very best to be as polite as possible and not hurt his feelings but I'd rather not shoot at all than shoot one of those rattling junk 4x4 fence posts.

No sense saying that to some one who's already spent their money so I just say no thanks or "yeah, great" when they are standing there holding one. Some people you just can't help, I've told them when they stand there saying "I don't know any thing about shot guns, what do you think I should get?" I've stood there with an 870 my hand and an 1187 of mine in their hands that we've all been shooting for an hour and said "Well that gun you are breaking birds with is a Remington. (The one he missed ever bird with was his brother's Mossberg who went through the same thing a month earlier.)

3 things to remember kiddo.
    1.Buy a Remington 870.
    2.Buy a Remington.
    3.BUY A REMINGTON 870.

A month later he called to let me know he bought a new gun. The guy he just met standing behind him at the gun counter and the high school kid behind the counter suggested a Mossberg so he bought a new Mossberg.

"Kewl, dude. We'll have to shoot that some time."

Over thanksgiving he was asking where I thought he could get a Remington 870 cheap.:dunno:

If ya like yer Mossbergs then shoot 'em. Lots of people do. They are gonna jump all over me and this post about how they are just as good as Remingtons.

It's just my opinion.

You ask me.

If you like 'em, then shoot 'em. It doesn't bother me one bit to stand right next to a guy shooting a Mossberg. I hope he breaks every clay in the air. You can shoot my gun all ya want. Shoot it all day and it won't bother me. Like mine or hate mine and it won't bother me.

I just have no desire to ever shoot and certainly not own any Mossberg ever again.

One funny thing I have noticed though, I NEVER hear any one say "Remington shot guns are just as good as a Mossberg."

Last edited:

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    I heard that mossberg this and that until I finally bought one for myself. It shot so far to left of where it was aimed adjustable sights added to the rib wouldn't adjust far enough to put it on target at 30 yards. It rattled like a rock in a pop can and the trigger was lawyer proof in all 50 states. Sent it on down the road with a $20 loss on the gun and $5 worth of wasted shells. $25 was well spent learning that lesson, never buy another Mossberg.

So you have aftermarket sights that were performing poorly?

The Mossberg forend does rattle more than the 870. I've never noticed any lack of performance due to it though. Good to see that it wasn't a mechanical failure of some sort.

Like I said, I've ran Mossberg and Remington. Both have shot as well as I'd let them.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    So you have aftermarket sights that were performing poorly?

The Mossberg forend does rattle more than the 870. I've never noticed any lack of performance due to it though. Good to see that it wasn't a mechanical failure of some sort.

Like I said, I've ran Mossberg and Remington. Both have shot as well as I'd let them.

Yeah, OK.

Cool, we'll have to shoot those some time.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't think people should dismiss the option of a self-loader for their defensive/combat shotgun.

Some cite reliability as an issue, but I've seen more people short-stroke a pump gun than I've seen malfunctions with my 1100 by, oh, maybe 100 to 1 (at least). Certainly that's partially a training issue, but it can happen to even an experienced pump gun shooter.

In addition, you may not have both hands available. In which case, cycling a pump gun takes a significant amount of time. You may not be in a position where pumping is easy (like from prone or in some positions when shooting around cover).

So don't dismiss a Reminton 1100/11-87, Benelli M1S90 or M2, Winchester SX2 Practical, Mossberg, or FN self loader. It may not be the best choice for a given individual, but it will be for many.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    I don't think people should dismiss the option of a self-loader for their defensive/combat shotgun.

Some cite reliability as an issue, but I've seen more people short-stroke a pump gun than I've seen malfunctions with my 1100 by, oh, maybe 100 to 1 (at least). Certainly that's partially a training issue, but it can happen to even an experienced pump gun shooter.

In addition, you may not have both hands available. In which case, cycling a pump gun takes a significant amount of time. You may not be in a position where pumping is easy (like from prone or in some positions when shooting around cover).

So don't dismiss a Reminton 1100/11-87, Benelli M1S90 or M2, Winchester SX2 Practical, Mossberg, or FN self loader. It may not be the best choice for a given individual, but it will be for many.

Semis are great, but the appeal of the pump gun is that a great one can be had for $250. The semis are significantly more expensive. In proper hands, a pump is a devastating home defense weapon that requires little maintenance.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    So don't dismiss a Reminton 1100/11-87, Benelli M1S90 or M2, Winchester SX2 Practical, Mossberg, or FN self loader.

Or a Saiga. :)

It may not be the best choice for a given individual, but it will be for many.

Having a home defense shotgun with a manual of arms nearly identical to my AK rifles is a HUGE plus as far as I'm concerned. Commonality in training and all that. I got rid of my Mossbergs and Remingtons years ago and doubt I'll ever go back.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

I don't dismiss them at all, unless the person requesting advice puts a monetary limit on thier purchase making them out of the question.

If the money is there, I'd RECOMEND an 1187 or 1100 over an 870 to ANY ONE regardless of expirience.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Or a Saiga. :)

Having a home defense shotgun with a manual of arms nearly identical to my AK rifles is a HUGE plus as far as I'm concerned. Commonality in training and all that. I got rid of my Mossbergs and Remingtons years ago and doubt I'll ever go back.

Saigas still aren't on my radar (by default). I still need to be reminded that they exist! The image in my mind is an AK that happens to fire shotgun shells and not "shotgun."

Psy_6att_6ica_6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    idaho
    i have an 870 that i fitted with a top folding stock and a magazine extension, shell holder, heat shield and ghost ring sights. ive hit everything its been pointed at. its probly had about 300 rds through it. it gets spendy to shoot.

Rattlesnake46319

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Rhino mentioned semi-autos. Agree with the comments that the cost can be a deterrent, you're going to easily double what you'd pay for a pump. Can't say for other brands/models, but my Mossy 935SPX doesn't like light loads and tends to stove-pipe on them. OTOH, she'll eat 00 buck all day long (or until your shoulder falls off). IMO, it's a solid HD firearm, naturally comes up to the shoulder to fire, I'd prefer a pistol grip stock, but as others have pointed out, that makes the safety hard to reach. All in all, a decent buy for HD.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I recently got a remington tactical. It has the new choke on the end with the jagged edges,
    Then about a week later I found an 870 Marine with a grip and the dealer told me the shoulder stock also came with it. I picked it up too.

I like both of them.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    I recently got a remington tactical. It has the new choke on the end with the jagged edges,
    Then about a week later I found an 870 Marine with a grip and the dealer told me the shoulder stock also came with it. I picked it up too.

I like both of them.

If it looks like someone attached a hole saw to the end of your muzzle, it has no effect on choke. It's the latest craze for standoff/ door breeching devices to be placed on shotguns. I've never personally needed one as I have keys for my front door. :)

Some may find it useful/entertaining.

Top Bottom