Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Rather than being caught up in the argument the OP seems to be making, that INGO is not sufficiently signaling their disavowal of Adams, let's look at what the poll actually said.

BLACK AMERICANS ONLY: "It's okay to be white." 53% agree, 26% disagree, 21% not sure

Okay. Is THAT racist? Are 47% of blacks racist? If we apply "racist" the way OP is applying it to Adams, we would have to say yes. I think there are more reasons to disagree with the statement "It's okay to be white," than just racism.

Is it okay to be a police officer? Well, if you perceive, accurately or not, that police hurt people who look like you, they would probably say it's not okay to be a police officer. So then how they perceive white people, earned or not, would tend to drive their opinion about whether it's okay to be white. Certainly some might have racist ideation. It's reasonable to think that their perception about white people would drive their answer, without having a sentiment of superiority.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Who has called you a racist to your face? Is this really a pressing problem in your life?

I'm betting that no one has actually called you a racist in real life.
    So if someone hasn’t called me a racist to my face, then no one feels I’m a racist?

is the comments of a cartoonist important enough in your life to feel the need to call him out and join in on the cancel culture? He never called anyone a racist to their face so I, as you have said, don’t see why this would be a pressing issue to anyone.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You worry about what the dictionary says. I lean more towards considering the total effect with regards to society. So again, you're more enamored with being technically correct with the terms than you are with what they mean in the context of current society. Words have zero meaning without considering that context, regardless of what Merriam-Webster has to say abou it.
    I worry about depicting reality accurately. Having a standard of what words means is important to that. Reality isn't being technically correct. Reality is what is real. The context of the effect WRT society is important. I don't think the way you've presented this represents the full reality that's out there. You're picking a word, not because of it's accurate depiction, but because of your perception of the degree of offense. That's not really any better than relativism. It certainly does not convey accuracy.

Arguing whether it's bigotry or racism at play is much like arguing over whether something is manslaughter or murder. The effect is the same, and I'm more interested in the effect than the technicalities.

You're making my point here. Manslaughter isn't as severe as murder. But because someone wants to dial everything to 11, they call it murder. Is manslaughter the worse homicide a person can commit? No. But if you want murder to mean everything to convey the worst it could be, you say murder, when it's manslaughter.

Manslaughter might be something like accidentally causing someone's death. So the hunter who accidentally kills his hunting partner might be charged with manslaughter. Didn't mean to kill him. Feels bad about it. But it happened, it's his fault. He's guilty. The bereaved family might be emotional about it and claim their loved one was murdered! Is that real? No. But it's gonna make the family incensed if they hear anything else.

Compare that to the guy who plots to kill someone. That's evil. An accidental homicide is a tragedy. An intentional homicide is intentional. Claiming there's no difference between the two is not dissimilar to claiming that discrimination == racism. I think a belief that you belong to a racial group that is superior to another is about the worst racial ideation one could have. Bigotry is up there. Discrimination has a range from good to bad.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    He didn't imply he was avoiding people because of their race and you know that. That is what you're trying to twist it into.

He implied that according to some poll that 1/2 of a group hates him because of his skin color. He decided to put distance between them because of their hate towards him.

I would say that if there is a group of a 1000 people in a parking lot and half of them are racist towards me, then yeah I would avoid that group as well.

The worst part is that some stupid polls like this exist in the first place, and then they get used and twisted into this sort of BS.

But then again you knew that, that's why you posted it.
    The shortcomings of this site only allow me to give you a thumbs up…

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    In before the sticky.

I don't see the correlation of the boy who cried wolf to race. It's a fable about say something that isn't true often enough, no one will believe you when it is true.
    Since it was posted twice, what is the correlation?
    Just as I said in my post once race was related to weather events and highways among many other things that to me is when it lost its meaning.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    For those whose newspaper dropped Dilbert.
    Https://dilbert.com/

I dropped newspapers a long time ago.

I miss real newspapers. I liked reading them at breakfast and carrying them around throughout the day to read something interesting when the chance arose..

Most of them went to ****. That is not only because of the net. Most of their stuff on the net is garbage. Having it on a piece of paper would make it no better.

I still get the WSJ in paper. It comes in handy for lighting my charcoal chimney, firepit, firplace, and such.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I miss real newspapers. I liked reading them at breakfast and carrying them around throughout the day to read something interesting when the chance arose..

Most of them went to ****. That is not only because of the net. Most of their stuff on the net is garbage. Having it on a piece of paper would make it no better.

I still get the WSJ in paper. It comes in handy for lighting my charcoal chimney, firepit, firplace, and such.
    Reading actual real print newspapers were the staple of everyday life until it went away with the dawning of internet media.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Yeah, it’s kinda hard to line my birdcage with my iPad. LOL

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Back in those days you would get the papers to follow your favorite columnists or sportswriters or even peruse the funny papers and the spots box office stats not to mention movie reviews and so much more. I miss the days of those old, grizzled newspaper characters like Mike Royco and Irv Cuppcinet and all the great sportswriters of a bygone era.

Like you said today's internet media is mostly garbage that just doesn't have that same feel.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I would just like to remind everyone of rule #5. If this is going to turn into a race debate, it isn't going to be here long. The original post is borderline at best when it comes to compliance with this rule.

5) Racially-based threads of any nature are not allowed on IndianaGunOwners.com.
    All Indiana Gun Owners should feel comfortable on this forum no matter their race, religious or non religious beliefs.
    Everyone is welcome here on INGO and should feel comfortable being associated with this site.
    FIFY...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I didnt think we were done talking about nikki haley being a white supremacist yet, Adams needs to wait his turn.
    No, no! Adams was already being dragged for at least the last year or two for being a misogynist because he pointed out that women don't have some innate genetic skill at being leaders that would make them automatically a top candidate for just entering any race. So we can work Nikki and Scott into the same progressive rant, with Scott being downhill from Nikki

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'll just go over to that other thread now and set a table :coffee:
    iu

(Nor do I think it should.)

Status
    Not open for further replies.