• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Well, my eyes stink. I juat got my new glasses today and am going out Thursday to try the irons again...but last week I could barely hit paper at 25yds...

Anyways, my questions are:

1) is the included rail decent or should I buy another?

2) what power scope should I use? I'm going to be using the scope to punch paper and hope to use irons for rabbit\squirrel. I'll be shooting between 50 and 100 yards.

3) must the rail be removed to use the irons?

4). Should I say screw it and get some tech sight?

This is my first long gun, so yes, I am a noob :-)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The new style factory rail is fine (grooved for more narrow .22 rings and allows reg Weaver rings to clamp on the outer edges). If yours has the old base, narrow ring only, get a Weaver. They're cheap enough.

Scope? 3-9X Leupold compact EFR is my choice, had one, loved it but for paper punching at 100 yds I think 12X is kinda mandatory. Bigger sized scopes start taking away the handiness of the rig.

Using the new style base and Burris Signature Zee rings you won't scratch up that $$$ Leupold. But you won't be able to use your iron sights. Rings that let you do both ? Forget that stuff.

IMHO you either go scope or irons, don't try to do both. But then I'm a set it and forget it kinda guy= so even the idea of detachable rings that come close to zero, I'm not interested.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    50 yards and in, get a decent rimfire 4X. Heck, don't even need a rimfire version.

On my old Ruger 10/22 Deluxe Sporter I ran an old Simmons 2-7X compact silhouette model with adjustable objective. Pretty good scope for the $ back then. Haven't seen one since (had target turrets too).

Last 10/22 was a regular model and I had a 4X compact Leupold on it. Worked fine.
    Wasnt a rimfire version but it put them in the critters right where aimed.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Going to see how I fare with the irons. Was wondering if I could use the irons with just the rail on or if I would have to pull the rail to use the irons? This is a new model btw :)

I haven't decided yet, just looking at my options

Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    I have Weaver see-thru rings on my 10/22. They allow me to use the irons if I wish.

+1 for these. The only problem I have had is the lack of front to back adjustability. Some short scopes just don't fit. These also replace the rail and bolt directly to the gun using the existing holes. :yesway:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW Williams makes a nice peep and front sight set for the 10/22 (not taliing Firesight).

I put a set on my brother in law's rig 20 yrs ago, still on there :)

My dad's .44 mag sporter has them too (but the big as a basketball factory ivory bead front- too big).

Top Bottom