Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Seems to me the better argument is don't depend on cops to come to your rescue and save you. I'd like to have the option, myself.
    I don’t want to leave it to others either but the whole conext right now in most people’s minds is school shootings. We can’t expect children to protect themselves.

Now about the idea of GGWG being damaged, it’s not actually. This wasn’t a GGWG. It was a coward with a gun. If a good guy with a gun were there, this could have had a much better outcome.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Shame is often stronger than fear. What's the best motivator to run toward fire? Seeing someone else getting there first. It's a lot easier for someone, even a cop, to stand by and let horror happen. But if you see someone else, like a teacher, doing the right thing, you might be more inclined. And even if only 1 of 2 engages the murderer, that's still more than 0 of 1.
    Think of the coach who was shot trying to protect kids. Give that guy the tools to defend the kids and himself and this may have had a much better outcome.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don’t want to leave it to others either but the whole conext right now in most people’s minds is school shootings. We can’t expect children to protect themselves.

Who's only talking about the kids? I'm talking about if I decide to go to a ball game or concert or other gathering that will draw a bunch of unarmed targets. I'm talking about those teachers and staff that might rather assume the job of defense for themselves. Who knows how things might have turned out differently had that coach that made himself a human shield had had his gun with him that day. Who knows if any of the other teachers and staff had done the job the paid professional refused to do. I'd like to have that option and by extension, I want any other law abiding person to have that option.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Who's only talking about the kids? I'm talking about if I decide to go to a ball game or concert or other gathering that will draw a bunch of unarmed targets. I'm talking about those teachers and staff that might rather assume the job of defense for themselves. Who knows how things might have turned out differently had that coach that made himself a human shield had had his gun with him that day. Who knows if any of the other teachers and staff had done the job the paid professional refused to do. I'd like to have that option and by extension, I want any other law abiding person to have that option.
    I completely agree. I’m just talking about what the context is with most people right now.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    OK. Then I've read that post 2-3 times now and I'm getting what you're saying. Maybe it's because I didn't get enough sleep last night.

I just reread it too and maybe I didn't get enough sleep. I think I could have made the point clearer that the emphasis is on what other people think we're talking about rather than what we're actually saying.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    images

:coffee: is the way.......:)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Social media and smart phones are not to blame, ever.

Bullies are to blame if bullying is taking place.

Plenty of kids use smartphones and "social media" to raise money for charity, make friends, and make the world a better place.

Blaming social media is like blame the gun for the shooting.It's just a tool, there are people behind it using it for either good or bad.

And bullies bullied kids in school way before people had cellphones.

I realize you're being facetious. But this makes me think of the tendency for so many people to believe it has to be just one cause. It's the guns. Or video games. Or social media. Or smart devices. Or psychotropic meds. Or Bullying. Or bad parenting. Or wall-to-wall news coverage. Or progressive postmodernism. If we could just stop that one thing then we'd stop these deadly rampages.

It is becoming evident from the research that, though there is variance in how we're wired, we all share some common subroutines for doing some really horrible stuff under the right circumstances. Those circumstances have to stack just right for people to do these rampage type murders. And it's really rare. But it seems obvious it's becoming less rare. The simple thing is to believe it has just one cause. So if we're going to pin it on just one cause, that cause has to be broad enough to encompass what's happening. The cause is all the things which stack up to increase the frequency people of running these subroutines. So the combination of all those things in today's society, translates to more people executing those horrible subroutines.

And if that's true, some conclusions we can draw from that are,

1) it's not as simple as blaming the gun. Or the video game. Or bullies. Or that it's just a one-and-done thing. Fixing one of those things may reduce the number of people who run the subroutine. But it will still happen.

2) the fix is complicated and not as short term as just banning things other people like so that we can feel like we've moved closer to solving the problem; it will take time.

3) it really is a people problem, and one that we can't get closer to resolving satisfactorily if we always must talk about banning something after someone runs the subroutine.

Something not to infer from this: I'm not excusing the behavior. I'm saying this is underlying the thing that most religious people would call evil.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I realize you're being facetious. But this makes me think of the tendency for so many people to believe it has to be just one cause. It's the guns. Or video games. Or social media. Or smart devices. Or psychotropic meds. Or Bullying. Or bad parenting. Or wall-to-wall news coverage. Or progressive postmodernism. If we could just stop that one thing then we'd stop these deadly rampages.

It is becoming evident from the research that, though there is variance in how we're wired, we all share some common subroutines for doing some really horrible stuff under the right circumstances. Those circumstances have to stack just right for people to do these rampage type murders. And it's really rare. But it seems obvious it's becoming less rare. The simple thing is to believe it has just one cause. So if we're going to pin it on just one cause, that cause has to be broad enough to encompass what's happening. The cause is all the things which stack up to increase the frequency people of running these subroutines. So the combination of all those things in today's society, translates to more people executing those horrible subroutines.

And if that's true, some conclusions we can draw from that are,

1) it's not as simple as blaming the gun. Or the video game. Or bullies. Or that it's just a one-and-done thing. Fixing one of those things may reduce the number of people who run the subroutine. But it will still happen.

2) the fix is complicated and not as short term as just banning things other people like so that we can feel like we've moved closer to solving the problem; it will take time.

3) it really is a people problem, and one that we can't get closer to resolving satisfactorily if we always must talk about banning something after someone runs the subroutine.

Something not to infer from this: I'm not excusing the behavior. I'm saying this is underlying the thing that most religious people would call evil.

Usually people just blame things they don't know, or understand, and think they figured the root of the problem.

People who blame social media are most likely not on Facebook and have no idea what it is.
    People who blame "violent video games" (there's no such thing, only a depiction of violence since you never hurt anyone) have never played them.
    People who blame the guns have never shot one and have no idea that it's a peaceful hobby for millions of Americans.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Usually people just blame things they don't know, or understand, and think they figured the root of the problem.

People who blame social media are most likely not on Facebook and have no idea what it is.
    People who blame "violent video games" (there's no such thing, only a depiction of violence since you never hurt anyone) have never played them.
    People who blame the guns have never shot one and have no idea that it's a peaceful hobby for millions of Americans.

Everything has at least dozens of causes or things that contribute....but just because none were the sufficient cause doesn't mean there's not something there.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    We've got several of these threads going now so I'm not sure in which one this would be most appropriate:

Dana Loesch: Here's The Real Story Of What Happened At CNN's Garbage Town Hall

Saw this too. Interesting what goes on behind the scenes. I have to give the lady credit for walking into the lions den.

Sounds a bit like how the mood would have been in the room of the Jewish Medical Association when Dr. Mengele took the podium to deliver the speech on his paper about medical research results.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom